Under the City Lights

CHAPTER 23

This week with Callum has been amazing. You have no idea. I don't think I've ever been happier, not in my entire life. Being with Callum is something I never thought I'd be able to do so soon, and now that I can, I never want it to end.

Unfortunately, if Callum didn't get back before his dad, then I might never see him again. I was so scared to send him back to his dad. I'll be constantly worrying whether he's okay or not, freaking out when he doesn't email back for more than a day. This week has been so nice, knowing that he was safe the entire time; I'm going to hate going back to questioning his safety constantly.

Right now though, I was trying to enjoy the few hours I had left with him. Asher was driving us up some stretch of highway, heading towards Callum's house, and I was praying for traffic, or something, so that I could stay with him longer.

We were cuddled up together in the back seat, his head laying in my lap as I brushed my fingers through his hair absentmindedly.

"I don't want to leave." Callum said, pouting.

"I don't want to let you go back home." I said. "I worry, you know? I mean, I know you tell me not to, but I can't help it. I really care about you and want you to be safe, and I know that can't happen as long as you're at home."

Callum lifted his head up and sat facing me, giving me a serious look. "Bridger, I know you care about me, but it's only a couple more months. I'll be out of there and at school in September. Don't worry about me. Nothing bad will happen. And if it does, I promise to call you right away. I won't let it get out of hand."

"It's already out of hand. He should never lay a hand on you." I said, wrapping my arms around him and tucking him into my chest.

"I know, honey, but it's just something we have to accept. We can last another month or so. Can you do that for me?"

"It's not me I'm worried about." I said. "But I guess I will. But, when he hurts you, you have to tell me, right away. And if it gets too bad, you're going to come and live with me. Okay?"

"That sounds fair." he said. "But let's just snuggle now. I don't want to spend our last hour together for awhile talking about my dad."

"Sounds like a good plan." I said, lifting his chin up with two fingers and kissing him softly.

He smiled into the kiss and leaned closer to me, deepening the kiss. As our tongues massaged each others lazily, I held him close, not wanting to let him go ever again, knowing I was going to be forced to.

When we finally pulled apart, Callum looked up at me and smiled. "I don't know how I'm going to go without that for the next couple months."

"I know what you mean." I said. "But maybe I can come to you later on. Maybe I'll come stay at a hotel or something and you can try and escape every once in a while to come see me. How does that sound?"

"I think that sounds amazing." he said. "You'd really come all this way, just to see me?"

"Hey, hey, hey." I said, running my hand up and down his back to comfort him. "What's this getting all insecure about? Of course I would travel to come see you. You did the same for me. It's really not that far, either. I would cross oceans for you, you know that."

"I know, it's just hard to believe sometimes." he said, looking down. "It's hard to believe that someone as amazing as you could ever love me as much as you do."

"Well, believe it. 'Cause it's true." I said.

"I hate to be the bad guy and break up the moment, but we're here." Asher said, pulling into the driveway of a small, one story house that looked perfectly normal, exactly like the rest of the houses on the block. But I highly doubt that any of the other families on the street know what goes on inside.

"This is my house." he said, stating the obvious.

"It looks so... normal."

"What were you expecting? A haunted house?" he laughed. "My dad keeps me pretty busy, cleaning up the place. That includes the outside."

"Wow." I said. "I just thought it would look different. Like, it would be obvious what goes on inside..."

"You can never know." he said. "You could go over to someone's house three times a week and not know that their parents were abusive if they hid the scars well enough. It's sad, but true."

"I feel like I should go stalk all my friends' houses now so I can know whether they're okay or not."

"They'll tell you, if they're ready." he said. "I wouldn't be too worried. But don't push them. It might just end up worse for them if you do."

We both stayed quiet for awhile, knowing what was about to happen and not wanting it to.

"I don't want to leave." Callum said, snuggling deeper into my shoulder.

"I know. I don't want you do either. But we have to say goodbye."

I opened the car door and got out before helping Callum out after me.

"What about we don't say goodbye?" he said. "What if we just say 'See you later'?"

"See you later, then." I replied, smiling and kissing him sweetly.

We stayed like that for awhile, just kissing innocently, but none of us wanting to pull away from each other.

"Guys, you know I love you, and I hate to do this, but we've got to go if we're going to get back by midnight."

I pulled away from Callum and looked over at Asher's apologetic face and smiling sadly.

"I guess I'll see you soon." Callum said, pecking my lips quickly.

"I"ll call you when I get home."

"Please do." he said. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"Me too." I said. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Callum said, kissing me one last time before squeezing me tightly and walking up the porch steps and unlocking the door, running up to his room and waving at me through the window facing the front yard.

I waved back and smiled sadly, getting into the passenger seat and blowing him a kiss as Asher drove away.

I think that was the hardest goodbye of my whole life...
♠ ♠ ♠
SO. I just noticed it's been over a month since I updated this... I'M SORRY!!!

I promise to update this one more. I kind of lost my steam for a bit, but I've gotten back on track!

Also- I feel like a dick, because I asked for a banner in return for a recommendation, and I got an amazing one (observe ^) and I love it dearly, but I forgot who gave it to me, as I deleted the message you sent. So, whoever sent me this, PLEASE tell me who you are, so I can recommend you next time :)

I started a new story! It's a cowrite, so the updates are a little staggered, but I'm really excited about it. You can read that here

Thanks to the following for commenting:

IntentToStartAFire
MissLonely
Emochick920
cameron liddell; (x2)
<-- Thanks for giving me the kick in the ass to update!

and to the rest of you for reading/subscribing!

<3 Casey