Under the City Lights

CHAPTER 7

I was laying outside, letting the sun hit my face, trying to take a nap.

I say trying because Asher kept poking me.

He came over and insisted that we have a picnic.

I could not wait until Abby was back.

“When does your girlfriend get back so you’ll stop bothering me?” I asked.

“She left a week ago, so in… 5 days.” Asher said, looking thoughtful and counting on his fingers.

“That long?” I asked.

“You act like you don’t want to see me.” Asher said.

“You act like I have a reason to want to see you.” I said, smirking with my eyes still closed.

“You’re mean.” Asher said. I could just hear the pout.

“You wake me up early.” I said. “We’re even.”

It had been a little less than 2 weeks since school ended and I was filling the void in Asher’s life since Abby had left. I mean, I still love the guy; he is my best friend. But him waking me up like this every day was seriously eating into my summer sleep.

Callum and I had been emailing at least once a day, if not twice. We had technically passed the 20 questions mark, but we still asked each other questions every email. I knew more about him that I did about Abby. For example, he doesn’t like coffee (he prefers tea), he likes mainly alternative and acoustic music, his political views are decidedly liberal, he watches way too many horror movies, he loves photography, he likes his cereal to be soggy, but still crunchy. Every frosted flake (his favorite type of cereal) had to be in the milk before he could eat it, but if any were soggy, he refused to touch it.

See what I mean?

And I remembered all this meaningless shit about him.

I legitimately remembered everything he told me.

I am so in over my head.

“Bridgey, are you listening?” Asher asked. He had been ranting about something to do with morning and why it’s important to wake up at a normal hour to keep our body clocks in tune, but I was too busy thinking about Callum to listen.

“Sorry.” I said. “I guess I zoned out a bit.”

“Thinking about Callum?” Asher asked. “Again?”

“I don’t think about him that often.” I defended. “But yes. This time, I was thinking about Callum.”

“Who are you trying to kid?” Asher asked. “Even when you are paying attention, you’re still thinking about him. Admit it, you like him. Way more than you should.”

I sighed.

“And there you go!” Asher said. “Sighing like a lovesick school girl. I thought I would be the one to be simpering and sighing all over the place because of a girl, but it’s you!”

“Shut up.” I said.

“You know it’s true!” Asher said.

“I know.” I said. “It’s really sad, too. I mean, am I that deprived that I’m practically in love with a guy after a week of emailing?”

“Yes.” Asher said.

I glared at him and went back to basking in the sun.

“In all seriousness, though.” Asher said. “I think that you aren’t so much deprived as you are lucky. You’ve found this amazing guy who likes everything you like and is interested in talking to you. The only issue is you don’t legitimately know it’s him. You know what I think you should do?”

“What?” I said, expecting something as stupid as the time he suggested we go camping in the middle of hurricane-force winds and the rainstorm of the century.

“I think you should ask if he likes picnics.” he said, nodding his head for emphasis.

"Of course. 'Cause that's an integral part of every relationship. Picnics.” I said.

Asher pouted, and I caved. “I’ll ask him next email.”

“Aren’t you finished with your 20 questions yet?” Asher said.

“Jeez, get with the times.” I said, only slightly joking. “We finished those days ago. We’re just asking questions to get to know each other better.”

“Well, sorry, I’m not caught up with every aspect of your relationship with Callum.” Asher said. “I’m just happy we ended up finding out his name.”

“It’s a great name, isn’t it?” I said, sighing slightly.

“Okay, that’s it.” he said. “You’re being ridiculous and I refuse to listen to this anymore. I’m going home and calling Abby. You can go back to emailing your lover.”

“He is not my lover.” I said.

“But you want him to be, ya faggot.”

“Thanks, man. Great confidence booster.”

“Aww, you know I’m joking.” Asher said. “Besides, I thought you’d be glad. You get to get rid of me and talk to Callum at the same time. Win, win.”

“I guess you’re right.” I said. “Get your ass outta my house, Asher. Go call your girlfriend.”

“Don’t mind if I do.” he said, getting up and skipping through the yard and across the street to his house.

I sat up and looked around.

There was still picnic food scattered around me in multiple Tupperware containers.

That little fucker…

I sighed and started picking up the half-empty containers.

He was so cleaning this up by himself next time…
♠ ♠ ♠
Update to celebrate 40 subscribers!!! LOVE YOU!

Thanks to everyone who commented, especially if I haven't already told you so.

No Callum in this one, but Asher cracks me up :D

See you next time!

Comment/Subscribe = Virtual Cookies/More updates!