Demon Huntress

Gun Shop

I woke to the shrill ringing of my cell phone. Just as I sat up in bed, it stopped ringing. I got up and moved the black curtain away slightly, to see the bright moon and stars in the sky. I estimated that it was around ten o’clock. Looking at the alarm clock, I had guessed right.
My head was throbbing like someone took a fucking hammer and hit me over the head while I was sleeping. I went into the bathroom and took two Tylenols to ease the headache. I splashed water on my face before walking back to my bedroom. I picked up my cell phone from the night table. I opened up my voice mail and listened to the message.
“Yeah, uh, Evelyn,” a familiar voice said.
Reggie (a.k.a. Shit Head as some people call him.), a guy I see for Hunter’s supplies. Ironically, he was the only Night Dweller I actually trust. He was a third generation warlock, not as powerful as a first generation but a warlock still. His merchandise might be illegal but they were useful with hunting and doing jobs for Viktor.
“I got some new weapons that I think you might be interested in. I was wondering if you would be able to come tonight. Stop by if you can.”
I snapped the phone shut without listening to the rest of the message. I quickly got dressed to get there, I needed a few extra weapons and wasn’t about to waste the opportunity. Before leaving, I leave a quick message on Viktor’s phone to inform him that Andrew Kames was officially dead and grab the pack of cigarettes in case I wanted a smoke.
I slipped out the window and jumped from the fire escape. Getting on my motorcycle, I drive towards Onyx Avenue and Cyprus Street. I made a left into an ally and parked at the end of it. I hid the motorcycle behind a dumpster so no one would see it if anyone happened to come in the ally. I went to a metal door and knocked on it with the back of my hand. A slot opened and a pair of eyes stared through at me.
“State your business.” a voice said from the other side of the door. The voice was deep, husky, and unfamiliar. The guy sounded German of Scottish.
“Cut the shit. Reggie knows who the fuck I am.” I say.
In response, the slot slams shut. I hear Reggie’s muffled voice shouting at someone in another language. After a few seconds, the door opened, a tall guy with huge muscles holding the door open. I assumed he was the guy with the husky voice. As I stepped through the doorway, I gave him a smug smile.
“Evelyn.” Reggie says, standing behind a counter.
I walk over to stand in front of the counter. We clasp forearms as a handshake. He had the dumbass smile he always had on his face.
“It’s been a while since I last saw you, Reggie.” I say. “You still look like the Shit Head you are.”
“I see your humor hasn’t changed.” he said with a laugh. “You are going to fucking love the new merchandise I got it.”
He disappeared behind the counter then came back up with something. He placed it on the counter in front of me. It looked like a silver hockey puck with what looked like a button in the middle and a chain embossed around it. I picked it up to find it almost weightless. I turned it around in my hand trying to find out exactly how this could be a weapon.
“What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?” I ask Reggie sarcastically.
“Press the button in the middle.” he said with a pleased expression on his face, his arms crossed.
I did as he said. When I did, several curved blades spun out. They looked extremely sharp and newly polished. I admired this weapon with fascination. I pushed the blades back into the disk and placed it on the counter.
“I knew you’d like it.” Reggie said.
“You always know my taste in weapons. I’ll take it.” I say. “Got anything else?”
“Don’t I always.”
As he bent down behind the counter again, someone busted in through the door. Everyone looked up to see who it was except for me. I kept my back to the door. Why did stupid bullshit always follow me around? With my hand on my loaded gun, I sighed and slowly turned to see what asshole had barged in.
There, standing in the doorway, was Lewis Brennan. He looked exactly the same as last night, only now there was more light and I could see him better. He wasn’t bad looking. Actually, he looked kind of sexy. The black short sleeved t-shirt showed he had well defined arm muscles, he was definitely a few inches taller than me, and he had broad shoulders. But he struck me as on of those Hunters that followed every regulation without question, a mindless puppet who simply believed that Night Dwellers didn’t have to die unless they were guilty.
“Shit.” I said under my breath as I pulled my hand away from my holster. “What the fuck are you doing here?”
He looked at me and seemed to recognize me. “I guess you got orders to be here too.”
“What are you talking about?” I leaned back on the counter. I looked at Reggie, who had turned pale and had his hands up in surrender. “Relax already.” He did as I said, placing his hands to his sides.
“I got orders to bust this place for selling illegal weapons.”
I picked up the disk and released the blades from it saying, “You mean like this. It’s my new purchase, not that it’s your business.”
He blinked a few times before saying, “You’re a Hunter. You can’t be buying illegal merchandise from criminal Night Dwellers.”
“I just did.” I placed a fifty on the counter. “Don’t worry about this asshole, Reggie. I got it taken care of.”
He picked up the bill and gave a nervous laugh. I walked passed Lewis, pulling him out the door by his sleeve in the process.
“Don’t think I won’t be back.” he said to them.
When we were finally outside, I stopped and shoved him against the wall. I pulled out my gun and pointed it at his neck. He looked dazed from being shoved, he hadn’t expected it.
“Are you following me?” I ask. I was starting to suspect something about him and wasn’t going to risk anything. “Who the fuck sent you?”
“No and no one.” He said calmly, like I didn’t have a gun pointed at him and ready to shoot.
I studied his face for any hint of a lie. He looked calm and collected. It confused and frustrated me; usual people would start begging for their lives. I decided to believe him and put the gun back in my holster.
“If I find out you were lying, don’t think I won’t hunt you down and kill you.”
He didn’t answer and didn’t expect him to.
“I never got a chance to ask your name.” Lewis said. I looked at him in surprise, weighing out the option of telling him or ignoring the question.
Scowling I asked, “Why do you want to know?”
With his arms crossed over his chest he said, “Well you know mine so I thought it would be fair if I knew yours.”
“Evelyn.” I finally said without meaning to.
My cell phone began ringing, saving me from talking any farther to Lewis. Looking at the caller ID, it was an unknown number. Hopefully a new customer. I hit the answer button.
“Start talking.” I said when I had the phone to my ear. I was aware of Lewis still staring at me so I turned my back to him.
“I heard you were the one to talk to if I wanted someone gone.” the voice at the other end said. He sounded like he was in his twenties and annoyingly nervous. If I could slap the guy on the other end I would.
Pinching the bridge of my nose I said, “One, stop talking like it’s a fucking spy movie or some other shit. Two, yes that is my job just tell me where to meet you.” I was trying to watch what I said in front of Lewis, I didn’t trust him at all and at this point he was on my shit list.
“Oakland Avenue across from the park. Its an apartment building. Just ring the second to the bottom bell and I’ll buzz you in.”
“Alright.” I hung up and placed the phone in my pocket.
I hopped on my motorcycle.
“Another illegal place you have to go?” Lewis asked with a smirk.
“Perhaps.” I said, sounding more flirtatious then I meant to. “Places to go, people to see, Demons to kill.”
I started the engine. The roar of the engine sounded loud and made me wince as my headache came back. I revved the engine.
“Nice motorcycle by the way.” Lewis said.
With a smirk I said, “I think its more horse power than you can handle.”
I sped out of the ally, leaving him in the dust the back tier kicked up. As I turned onto the street, I wondered why I had bothered flirting with him or even talking to him. Most importantly, why had I told him my name?