Status: Comments make us wanna update faster :)

Say You'll Mean It

Lacie

It’s been a week, and yes, Alex and I are still together. He might just go down in history as the boy who I’ve dated the longest. Well, except for one. Jason Mcusker was my first real love, or so I thought. We lasted about two months, and let’s just say that relationship didn’t end very well.

But Alex was different from Jason. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but something clicked between the two of us. When we talked, or even touched each other, sparks flew. And I could tell, just by the glimmer in his eyes and the edge to his smile that this was different than any other relationship he’s had. If you ask me, he seems like the one-night-stand kind of guy. At least, around his friends he does. But not around me. Around me, he’s genuine. So genuine that he almost seems artificial, like out of a fairy tale.

Now, we were sitting in my backyard on the beat-up picnic table that hasn’t seen one family cook-out in years. We were seated on the table, our feet on top of the bench attached. Our knees were touching, and our hands were intertwined in a tangle that would take hours to figure out whose fingers were whose. We gazed up at the sky, a perfect shade of blue with white wisps strewn across. If only I had a camera…
Alex then turned to face me and I got the most serious case of goose bumps you could ever have, this made me smile.

“There’s a party tonight, and-“ he broke off, considering what he was about to say. He seemed nervous, uneasy. He’s been acting this way all day, I’m guessing he’s been building up the nerve to spit it out.

“And…?” I pushed him on.

“And…” He bit his lip, then blurted out the rest of the question like he wanted to just bite the bullet. “I was hoping you’d go… with me. I mean… we’d go together. But you don’t have to I-“

“Alex,” I interrupted, stopping him in his tracks, and making him turn a deep crimson. “I’d love to go with you.”

He let out a breath, and smiled. His relief amused me, so I laughed. God was he adorable.

“Oh my god, you have no idea how long it took me to ask you.” He looked down, as if his feet became so interesting.

“How come you were so nervous? Did you think I’d say no?” I cocked my head to the side slightly.

“No, it’s just…” He thought for a moment, and smiled. His eyes met mine. “Who could deny these butterflies?”

My legs went weak; I could have collapsed there on the spot if I hadn’t been sitting down. Then, it hit me.

I gasped, and slid my fingers out from the spaces between his. I ran inside and grabbed the blue worn out notebook from the granite countertop of the kitchen. Taking a pen, I carefully scribbled into it, and Alex was walking in the back door before I knew it.

“Okay, Lace.” He sighed, and hopped up onto the countertop next to the notebook. I closed my eyes, knowing what the next question will be. “You’ve been doing this all week.”

I stood up straight, holding the notebook against my chest. “Doing what?”

“That.” He nodded towards the notebook. “You’d spontaneously write something in it and you’ve yet to tell me what it’s about…”

I bit my lip, I could feel my face getting real hot.

“It’s time to tell Alex what’s up with the notebook.”

I sighed, and dropped my arms, but still held the notebook. “This,” I held it up, waving it in front of me. “Is the notebook.”

The notebook…” He repeated, unsure. His eyebrows crinkled slightly.

“Yes. You’ve been saying the most beautiful of words all week, and I can’t help but write them down.”

“Let me see that.”

I handed him the notebook, finally giving in and showing someone else besides Avery my special writing notebook. I shuffled over and jumped up on the countertop next to him, leaning closer and closer until I could smell his phoenix Axe body spray, my favorite.

He flipped through the pages, scanning each one. I watched his hands run over my scribbles, my heart felt like it was about to fall out… what did he think of the notebook?

Then, the strangest of things happened. He started reading the notebook aloud. No, not reading, this was different. He was saying the words, but to a rhythm. Was he… singing?

“Even though she doesn’t believe in love, he’s determined to call her bluff. Who could deny these butterflies…”

I looked at him, and he looked straight back at me. And the next thing I knew, our lips were touching.

When the right guy comes along, you know. Some people say sparks fly, others say you can feel the chemistry, a sensation that warms your whole body. And other people can’t relate, because they’ve never even found the right guy in their entire life. They’ve never found their soulmate. But right here, right now, I knew that Alexander William Gaskarth was my soulmate.