Status: Finally a new chapter:) And a new layout, the other one seemed kind of...eh

Disenchanted

Chapter 11 part 2

The room, as if it wasn't quiet enough, grew silent, even the sounds outside were muted. Ray rustled in his bedroom, but even that wasn't effecting the blanket of silence. Frank played with the phone in his pocket, as he recalled hearing the buzzing in the kitchen when he got up to make coffee. He could have been as shocked as Mae, and he might as well have been. He grabbed the phone, and hesitated to answer. He knew if a strange man answered, it'd be harder of her mom, so he put it away. He knew how he would have felt in her situation, and he didn't want to say anything. Besides, taking her away from Gee, and it had already been a tough week, wasn't a good idea.

They all sat in the room, Mikey stood confused as he ate a powdered donut that he had originally grabbed for Gee. Gee himself was fully awake now, and he was sitting up, and looked the most confused of all. Mae leaned over to open the dark curtains, and they all squinted, momentarily blinded by the morning rays. Ray, who was still asleep, could be heard snoring anywhere at any time of day, but he was strangely silent. It was almost as if all of time had stopped for this one phone call.

"Well," Frank finally broke the silence, standing uncomfortably against the doorway. "I just thought it'd be best if you knew."

Mae looked at the phone in Frank's hand, and sighed. She thought, deep down, that it would be best to talk to her mom, and tell her she isn't coming back. She had thought about running away before, she just never went through with it, and now that she had she didn't know what to do. She didn't want to go back, but she surely didn't want her mom worried. She had lost everyone.

"I'll just.." she stammered, looking from Gerard to Frank, then to Mikey, who stood there, engulfed in the drama where they were the stars. "I'll just listen to the voice mail," She finished finally. Frank moved slowly towards the bed, as if he was afraid that he would scare her into changing her mind. He held out the phone, her pale arms shook as she clutched on to the old thing.

"You have one new message. Main menu, to listen to your message press one." She pressed one. "New message. Hey. Clover. You left me too." It wasn't a question. She paused. "It's okay. I just need to know that you're okay, and you're not dead. My sister says I need some time alone, anyways, and she's sending me to get help. This all has put me in a really weird state, you know? Just, I don't want you to think that I blame you. I mean, it's not entirely your fault." She was crying by now, and so was Mae. "No, not at all. It was traffic, that's all. I know I acted like it's all your fault but it's not. He was a great guy, and he had a great impact on me, and hopefully you too. I know that you're a teenager, and teenagers act out a lot. Please, call me back. I need to know you're okay, that's all."

Mae looked at the phone, and her tears fell on it. She slowly dialed the number, knowing it was the best thing to do. Gerard reached for the phone.

"No," she whispered, and as Gerard tried more forcefully, she yelled, "No, she needs to know I'm okay! That's what she needs, she needs me. This just isn't real, I don't believe it's real, I died when I fell and now I'm having a wonderful dream, but maybe I will wake up, I know that doesn't make sense but maybe this is a dream." Gerard looked at her, he finally had a hold of the phone. Frank and Mikey had left, and they were out talking with Ray in the front room.

"I want to call." Gerard says, his face straight.

"What?"

"She needs to know what happened."

"Are you kidding me?"

"No."

"You're going to tell my mommy on me?" She mocked, reaching for the phone, but Gerard had longer arms and he scooted away on the bed.

"Tell me," Gerard started, "That this isn't real." He kissed her on the cheek. "Tell me," he repeats, "That this is a dream." He kissed her on the lips. She blushes uncontrollably, and finally he has the phone and starts redialing the number. It rang twice, and then her mother answers.

"Hello, I have Clover Mae here, I think I should tell you a few things."