This Must be Fiction

You Have the Prettiest Eyes

Ville wasn’t anywhere to be seen when I woke up. I was thankful for that, as I would have felt rather uncomfortable with him seeing me in the morning. Make up was running down my face and my hair looked like I had just risen from the dead. After looking for him for a good twenty seconds, I decided it was safe to take a shower and get ready without worrying about Ville catching me with all my flaws.

I showered for about an hour, savoring every second. The warmth felt amazing on my muscles, and washing my hair was replenishing. After stepping out I threw my hair up into a towel. I put on a pair of jean shorts and a plain black tee shirt that was too big for me. I rolled the sleeves twice and added a zebra print necklace as an accent. I loaded my wrists with bracelets and hair ties, and then applied a light bit of black eyeliner and mascara.

I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I needed to put more make up on. It couldn’t hurt to impress Ville just a little. I applied more and let my hair drip dry. I pulled on my bangs to get them into the right position. I was nervous to walk back out into the hotel room as Ville had undoubtedly returned from wherever he went. I unlocked the door, and slowly turned the handle.

I immediately was struck with the scent of breakfast. I looked around the room and found Ville sitting cross-legged on the couch flipping through the television channels.

“Where have you been?” I asked, taking a seat next to him and picking up a piece of bacon sitting on the table.

“I went to get breakfast. I thought that was a bit obvious.” He laughed. I finished nibbling on the bacon and looked at the rest of the food.

“It’s all yours, I already ate.” He said nervously.

“How much do you think I can eat?” I asked. There was quite a surplus of food.

“Well, I figured whatever you didn’t eat now; you can save for the car ride later.” He began speaking with his hands. I laughed.

“Ok I see your logic.” I paused to chew a bit and watch TV. “So how much was the room? How much do I owe you?” I asked.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m a guest on your trip and you shouldn’t have to worry about paying when I’m being an inconvenience to you.” He looked over at me for a split second and then back to the TV.

“No, Ville, really. Split the room with me at least. I wanted you to come with me.” I said.

He put a cold hand onto mine and looked into my eyes. The sparkle in them still had me mesmerized.

“I’m not letting you pay for any hotel on this trip. You don’t have to worry about it. I make plenty of money to support the both of us.”

I looked at him and couldn’t help but smile.

“I don’t like this, you know. I feel like… you are taking care of me or something.” I took my hand away from under his.

“Maybe I am. I don’t see anything wrong with that.” He laughed. I shook my head.

“That’s exactly why I left home to begin with. To be independent.” I looked towards the floor to avoid Ville’s stare.

“I understand that, you know that I do. But I also know that you’re a young college kid that currently has no source of income. So until that changes, I’m paying.”

“I still don’t like this.”

“Tough.” He said as he playfully shoved me. His push hurt more than I think he intended it to, but I knew he didn’t mean it so I didn’t say anything. I took a moment to look at Ville again. Although we had spent hours together I didn’t have time to study him well as I was driving for the majority of the time. His hair was long and the softest color brown I had ever seen. Compared to my dark, almost black, brunette hair, his was supple and looked too appealing touch although it was pretty much sticking out in every direction. His lips pouted just the slightest bit. Ville looked back at me and smiled, showing off his beautiful cheekbones and sparkling eyes. Those beautiful emerald eyes were what had me captivated since the first moment I saw him. They were what led me to believe he was an honest person. I would compare my green eyes to mud; there was no brightness to them. But Ville’s were hard to look away from.

“Your eyes are so pretty.” I blurted out.

“Thanks darling. Yours are very pretty as well.” He said leaning in towards me. I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that he had called me darling. What did that mean? Does he just talk that way? Yeah, he probably just talks that way.

“No they’re not. They’re like the ugliest and most disgusting green.” I looked at the floor to make Ville stop looking at me. He didn’t. But he did laugh at me.

“You are the strangest person. Most people would just accept a compliment.” He patted my knee in an effort to be friendly.
“Yeah… well… ok.” I didn’t really know what to say to that. I was still sort of getting past my nerves with him. “So what should we do tonight?” I asked to break the silence. He looked at me for a few moments.

“We can do whatever you’d like. What are you in the mood for?” he leaned back into the couch and put his feet up on the table in front of us. I followed his lead and did the same.

“I’d like to go out. To a club or something.” I said.

“That’s a good plan… if we can find any. I’m not entirely sure where we are dear.”

“Me neither. But we can try.” I shrugged. We watched TV in silence for the next hour. After a while we went down to the lobby and got a map of the area. Ville never ceased to make me stop laughing the entire time we were there. It was like he knew me so well; he could make me laugh at any moment. I’m not sure why, but the way he made me feel had me worried. Almost scared. How can this man that I’ve known for only two and a half days know me so well? What does this mean?