Status: Completed; Comments, please?; Sixalog?

Silvery-Edged Black Cloud

Chapter Thirteen: They’re Meant To Be

When I woke up in the guest room the following morning, it took me a moment to process where I was. I remembered Alison, and felt myself groan with irritation. We should really just chain her ass to Fallen. Then maybe there wouldn’t be so many problems.

Ha. Two words for you, my good friend: I. Wish.

I turned over in my guest bed, meeting the morning sun directly. I smile, sitting up to stretch just like any other morning. I noticed clothes at the foot of my bed, making me raise an eyebrow. I didn’t bring any clothes, I think, as I slowly hop out of bed. It was just like the clothes I had taken to wearing. Except, it a dress form.

I quickly grabbed the dress, heading toward the bathroom attached to my guest bedroom. I took a quick shower, combed through my crazy-colored hair, and brushing my teeth as a normal morning routine.

I dressed into the little black dress. It was a V-neck, with sparkly shoulder straps. I absolutely love it! It stopped above my knees. It was making my eyes pop, really showing off my tan. You know, this dress makes wearing dresses not seem so bad. I notice the hair-curler, and was halfway through with curling my hair when someone knocked on my door.

So, let me tell you what happens next in the shortest and probably most boring way possible: I open the door, half of my hair in wild curls while the other is completely straight. Kevin stood there, giving my hair a long, odd stare. I roll my eyes, walking back into the bathroom to finish curl my hair as I ask, “What?”

“Well … I was going to ask if you’ve seen Alison. But, it looks like you just woke up.”

“Humph.” I was unable to give him a smart-ass remark. Why? Because I just burnt my finger! It hurts! “OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OW —”

“What are you doing?” Kevin asks, obviously annoyed as I jump around like an idiot, holding my pained hand.

“OW OW OW OW OW —” Yeah. I’m a dork.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU CARRYING ON ABOUT?!!!”

“I BURNT MY FINGER, DAMN IT!!!!” I growl, glaring at him as I continue jumping around like an idiot. Why am I always such a dork around him? “Damn … that hurt …”

“Shh … you hear that?” 

I continued curling my hair, despite my throbbing finger, humming along to the Carrie Underwood song that was playing somewhere. Carrie Underwood — another one of my idols. But, could you blame me? She’s just so dang awesome.

I quickly finish curling my hair, fluffing it up a bit to make it look more natural. I know I should be grateful to have naturally straight hair — since it’s such a popular trend nowadays — but, it would remind me of when Josh would just take a strand and twirl it between his fingers.

I sigh, hearing the Carrie Underwood song change to a fast beat R&B song. Following Kevin to the source of the music, we find ourselves staring outside the front door, where Alison sat in the grass, staring up at the clouds.

Her expression was something I had never seen without her having a vision. She was completely absorbed in her own thoughts, a few tears falling out of her eyes now and again.

“What do you think is going on?” I ask quietly, standing beside him as we stared outside at her.

“She’s just … thinking.

“About what?”

“Her life, I guess. She always gets that expression whenever someone mentions her family or life.”

I stare at him oddly for a moment. How could he know this and not me? He must really be like that dad she never had to know all of this about her.

He looks at me, making me realize that I had been staring at him. I felt my cheeks heat up, as I quickly looked away.

♠ ♣ ♠

I’m not sure how long we just stood there in utter silence, watching Alison as she sat outside, staring up at the sky. Eventually, she looked over at us to glare. I grabbed Kevin and ran, not willing to see what might happen.

“What are we running from?” Kevin asks, as I let his hand go.

“I don’t wanna know Alison when she’s angry and without Martin,” I say, rolling my eyes, “Now, if you’d like to go back there and risk getting your ass killed then go ahead.”

“I doubt that a 5’3 girl could kill me.”

“You wanna bet?” Alison says, rolling her eyes as she walks past us. “Have y’all ever heard of whispering? You sound like me when I get married.”

If only you remembered, I think, rolling my eyes with Kevin. Alison raised an eyebrow at us, as a knock sounded from the door. She went to answer it, us following from a few feet away. I knew who it was before the door even opened. Martin.

He sighed with relief, hugging her. What Alison did was surprising. She punched him. Even with her memory-loss, I was beyond shocked. Alison ran up the steps, leaving Martin there in an utter daze.

“What the … hell?” He says after a moment, slowly standing to his feet.

“Alison can’t remember anything after she was eleven,” Kevin says, rolling his eyes, crossing his arms over his chest like a bad-ass.

“You met her when she was twelve, Martin, so she has absolutely no idea who you are,” I say sympathetically. I could only imagine what it was like for him right that second.

“Yeah, I know,” he grumbles, looking like he just died a little.

“Meagan says that her memory will probably be back soon …” My sentence of comfort trailed off as Martin turned around, preparing to just walk away. He walked away, seeming lifeless and broken. Holy crap. He really loves her.

Kevin stopped him, as he nearly turned the corner down the street. He was probably going to talk some sense into him. Which is exactly what I planned on doing with Alison.

I knocked on the white-wooden door to her, covered with pictures and words all throughout it. “Go away …” Alison sounded like she was crying.

“Alison?” I ask quietly, opening the door.

“What?” She had buried her head under a pillow, and I could easily hear her crying.

“What’s wrong?”

“I … I don’t know.”

“Why did you punch that guy?”

“Because he hugged me.” She pokes her head out to glare at me. “When he did that … I felt … I felt …”

“Like an electric shock just went through your entire body,” I say quietly. I knew that feeling. It happened every time I got angry with Kevin and we were standing a bit too close.

“Yeah … how’d you know?”

“Just a guess.”

“Who was he?” She sits up beside me, as I sit down on her bed. “He was kinda cute …”

“His name is Martin.” I started laughing when she said Martin was cute. At least one thing will always stay the same: Martin and Alison will always love each other.

“Really? What’s he like?”

“He’s a really nice person. You’d actually get along with him.”

“I doubt it.”

“Why?”

“I dunno. He just seems kinda soft. I usually hang around guys who can take a punch.”

“You just caught him off guard. Give him a chance, though.”

“Alright. But, only because he’s cute.” I roll my eyes at her. Well, at least I just learned what went on in her mind when she was elevan.

♠ ♣ ♠

Alison was shy whenever she was around Martin. Meagan had offered him to stay — partly because of Alison’s constant begging — which he immediately accepted. Alison’s grin was plastered on her face whenever Martin wasn’t looking. I probably will never understand why she was so shy around him.

It was dinner time right now. Alison was giggling practically every time Martin said something. Kevin looked close to murdering Martin all over again. I fought back a giggle that was bubbling in my throat from the oddness of this entire thing.

“So, how long are y’all planning on staying?” Alison asks suddenly.

“I dunno. I’m just here until he drags my ass back,” I say, shrugging before I point to Kevin.

“Umm … I can leave if you want me to …” Martin says uncomfortably.

“No, no!” Alison says almost immediately. Her cheeks heated up, as she quickly added, “I mean, stay as long as you like.”

Kevin gave me a look, letting me know that he was staying here as long as Martin was. Which, of course, meant I was. I wasn’t having Kevin murder Martin. Especially not with Alison being pregnant.

“Well … umm … I’m done …” Alison says shyly, quickly running away. I could hear her blasting music, which just made Meagan smile.

“Haven’t heard that in years,” she says quietly, gathering the dishes. I help her, unwilling to let her do it all on her own.

“You really miss her, don’t you?” I ask quietly, as I help Meagan wash the dishes.

“Alison was always my baby, Melody. If Kevin stops trying to grow a pair —” I couldn’t hold my laughter at that comment, “— then maybe you’d understand.”

“I heard my name and an insult,” Kevin says, glaring.

“Nothing,” we say together, rolling our eyes.

Mothers are so awesome.

♠ ♣ ♠

When I woke up, doing my normal morning routine, I finally was able to wear something normal. My shirt was basically a black corset, with a thick plaid designed ribbon tied around it. I was also wearing my black shorts with white bleach spots on it. Trust me, I look so cute in it!

I walk out of the room, heading toward Alison’s before Kevin woke up. I open the door, and what I saw made me have to fight back an “awww.” Martin was beside her, his arm wrapped around her as they slept. Her head was on his chest, making them both look absolutely adorable! I stared at them another moment, before closing the door.

I headed downstairs, just to see Kevin sitting there with his usual newspaper and coffee. I will never understand him. At all.

“Whatcha doing?” I ask, pouring myself a bowl of cereal.

“Nothing.”

“You’re not a morning person, are you?”

“And you are?”

“Point taken,” I say, sitting down beside him and stuffing my face with cereal and milk. Yes, I have the table manners of a dog, basically.

“I don’t think cereal’s going out of date, Melody,” Kevin says, rolling his eyes. I glare at him as he smirks, oddly just wanting to kiss him. I stood up, a little startled from the realization. I just need fresh air. Yeah. That’s it.

I walk outside the front door, breathing in the fresh morning air. I feel much better.

Until I saw Donovan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Melody’s Dress