Status: Completed; Comments, please?; Sixalog?

Silvery-Edged Black Cloud

Chapter Three: First College Party

I finish curling my hair, looking over myself in the mirror. I looked good. You know, for being twenty-seven. I still look fourteen, not letting it bother me. The outfit really made me look older.

I wore a black tank top; one strap was thin and sparkly, the other was thick and black. I also wore some cut-up mini-shorts, tying a thick black ribbon in a bow around my thin waist. A fashionable black hat was on my now-curly hair, giving me an attitude-edge. Some mini-boot grey heels were on my feet, adding at least an inch to my height. I wore some dark red lip-gloss, which made my lips really stand out against my tan skin. I painted my nails a stunning red, which matched my lips perfectly.

I smirk at my reflection, loving this new attitude-look on me. I’ve been dead for over ten years. It was time for a new look. Even Alison was going with a new look now that she reached ten years of this.

She wore a bright red shirt, much similar to mine except with the thin sparkly strap. Some white skinny jeans, blackish-grey ballet-flats, orange and yellow eyeshadow, and dark blue nails. She looked like a ball of fire to me.

“Ready?” Alison asks, looking around. “Where’s that Devil who just had to steal all my clothes?” — that explains the outfit.

“You look like you actually belong,” Melissa says, rolling her eyes.

“I oughtta slap you.”

“Do and you’ll get suspended.”

“Uncle Joseph wouldn’t suspend his favorite niece,” Alison says, rolling her eyes. “Just give me back my clothes.”

“No.”

“I look like a whore!”

“Then why are you complaining?”

Alison slapped her for that, smoke coming off of Melissa cheek from where Alison’s handprint was on the side of her face. I secretly approved. But, as if I’d admit that to anyone.

“Just leave it at that, you little brat,” I growl, baring my teeth. “You’re lucky she hasn’t burned you alive.”

“Alison can’t hurt family,” Melissa growls. “It’s against the rules.”

“Rules don’t apply to me,” Alison growls, glowering at her cousin. “I’ll murder you before you know it.”

“Like to see you try, you worthless trash.”

I fought back the impluse to attack her. But, I attacked with all my strength as she said, “You’re just a worthless whore.”

“Melody! Calm down!” Alison says, struggling to pull me off of Melissa. “Kevin! Help!”

♠ ♣ ♠

I dance around at the party, drinking something in a plastic cup. I knew it was beer. Melissa had really set me off. I didn’t see the harm in it. Plus, I’m twenty-seven! I’m allowed to drink! This is only my first cup, anyway. I hate the taste of this stuff. It’s disgusting. I will never understand how they can drink over ten of these things and not feel a thing.

“Hey, Melody!” Jared says, swinging a drunken arm over my shoulder.

“Umm … hey. Jared,” I say uncomfortably, trying to wiggle out of his arm. “How many have you had?”

“I dunno. ’Bout ten?”

“Okay, well, can you let go?”

“Why?”

“Because I prefer talking to sober, Jared,” I say, rolling my eyes. “Bye,” I walked out of his grasp, gulping down the last of my drink, tossing the cup of the floor like everyone else. Beer tastes horrible. I probably won’t have another.

A fast-beat pop song starts, and I begin dancing with the remainder of anyone who’s sober. Although, some of these drunks can dance! It’s really kind of shocking.

“Umm, hey, Melody,” Josh says, as I bumped into him.

“Umm, hi,” I say uncomfortably. It’s always awkward when talking to your ex. “Sooo … umm … how are you?”

“Are we seriously gonna have this conversation?”

“I guess not.”

“Look, I feel really bad for not talking to you. And I was wondering if —”

“Maybe,” I say, rolling my eyes. “If you won’t freak out whenever your older brother has to save me.”

“Well, I mean, c’mon! What am I supposed to do when he kisses you? Then I hear you’re soulmates!” Josh says quietly. “What would you think if I died and Alison was my soulmate?”

I thought a moment. I understood once he had put it that way. “I get it.”

“Sooo … what do yah say?”

I wrap my arms around his neck, standing up on my tiptoes, eager to feel his lips back on mine. “That depends on whether you’re gonna kiss me,” I say, smiling up at him. He wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him, kissing me deeply.
♠ ♠ ♠
Melody’s outfit