Status: Completed; Comments, please?; Sixalog?

Silvery-Edged Black Cloud

Chapter Seven: Go Team!

The first football game was late in the day, TV cameras focusing on the players. Josh had been suspended for injuring me, but Kevin was still on the team; calling the damage on Josh “self-defense.” Luckily, my arm healed on its own. So, I’m fully able to cheer with everything I’ve got. If only these skirts weren’t so short and tight

I do a flip in the air, hearing the others do their non-sense cheer. Even though Alison constantly complained about not being athletic, her and Sophie were doing almost the exact same thing as me.

“Whoo! Go team!” We yell as perkily as possible. We had been doing this for over an hour.

“Gosh, when does this end?” Alison groans grouchily. I think she’s PMSing. Why? Because the next second she screams cheerfully, “Yay! Go Martin!” That settles it! She’s pregnant.

“Lets go Cardinals!” We all yell together.

“Football lasts awhile, Al, you just gotta be patient,” I say, rolling my diamond eyes. “It’d be much more entertaining to play, though.”

“I’d much rather be up on the stands, Mel,” Alison grumbles. “Let me hear you scream!!”

“Yeah, but then Martin would have a much harder time to stare at your ass.”

“At least I don’t have my uncle trying hard not to stare at my chest.” My cheeks burned hot as I glanced at Kevin, who was focusing a little too hard on the game.

“He’s not staring at my chest.”

“Not right now. He’s staring at your ass.”

“Quit it, Al, Kevin isn’t checking me out,” I say, rolling my eyes. “Lets go Dylan! Tackle that pig to the ground!”

“Soo attractive, Melody,” Alison says sarcastically, “No wonder Kevin beat up his little brother when Josh called you a worthless piece of slutty whore trash.”

“Shut up, Al,” I grumble. I scream like the rest of the cheerleaders as Dylan made a touch-down. “When will you all stop trying to set us up?”

“When y’all have sex,” Alison says, rolling her eyes. “Because Kevin seems to be such a giant baby that he can’t seem to be able to talk to you.”

“Calling him names won’t help anything.”

“Actually, it’s why he still talks to you.”

“So, what? He hates me or something?”

“No. He’s just scared.”

♠ ♣ ♠

I was visiting Meagan. I just had too many questions that were bugging me. I couldn’t ask anyone on Fallen without a boat-load of questions.

“Oh, Melody! It’s so good to see you!” Meagan says, hugging me in her gentle, motherly way.

“Hey, Meagan. How are you?” I ask, smiling at her. Meagan always seemed to have this comforting effect on people. I guess that was her witch-y “talent.”

“I know why you’re here,” Meagan says sadly. “But, please, come inside.”

“Thanks,” I say, stepping inside. Meagan led me into her small living-room, gesturing for me to make myself comfortable. I never understood why she still lived here, all by herself. “I just … I have to know.

“Yes, I know, child,” Meagan says kindly. “Kevin’s been denying it. But, he loves you.”

What?!

“Melody, I cannot give away the name of the Holy Devil. I cannot tell you about the Fifth Guardian. I have promised my silence about the threat amonst us,” she says solemnly. “But, I know you are curious about him. Is that not why you become so tensed whenever someone mentions him?”

“I guess,” I grumble, looking away. Was it really that obvious?

“Well, you know Kevin.”

“Sadly.”

“Don’t be mad at him, child, he’s just a little scared.”

“Alison says the same thing.”

“Alison’s soul is nearly as old as the Holy Devil’s.”

“Oh,” I say uncomfortably, trying to think of a topic to switch to.

“Melody, you just have to be patient with Kevin. Although wearing that cheerleading outfit isn’t helping.” She scrunched up her nose with distaste. “He really was staring at you. Just like the majority of the other team was staring at you, Alison, and Sophie.” Her face twisted with disgust when she said that. Alison’s face looked like that every time boys stared at Scarlett, Mary, and Alec a little too long. “Oh, if I had been there —”

“Relax. Kevin took care of them,” I say, smiling gently at the woman who was so much like my mother and more.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Hey, Alison, I visited your mom a couple days ago,” I say, as we head toward lunch. She drops her books, it somehow managing to echo through the crowded hallway. She shakes her head, muttering something under her breath as she gathers her belongings. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t wanna talk about it,” she grumbles, running down the halls with excessive speed. I follow easily behind. I lost her as I round the corner to the cafeteria. Sighing, I head toward where everyone else sat. I throw my backpack on the back of my chair, pulling out my notebook and absently doodling.

“Whatcha doing?” Nina asks, obviously noticing my glum expression. You just have to love best friends. “And what are you drawing?”

“Huh?” I ask, looking down at the drawing. It was Donovan. I recognized him almost immediately. He had a revolver in his hand. But, it wasn’t finished. I just knew it wasn’t. I focus on the drawing, watching as the picture began to form.

“What is it?” Nina asks again, pulling me out of my reverie momentarily.

I studied the picture as my hand continued adding last minute details. There was something. I couldn’t tell what it was for sure. Its eyes … I shivered.

Alison came up from behind me, snatching my notebook from under me. “Hey!” I say as she rips the picture out. It was too late, though. The picture was burned to ashes.

“What was that for?!” I yell angrily.

“It’s unimportant,” she snaps fiercely. She looks up at David, saying calmly, “They’re coming. Did you tell Hades?”

“I will when you do,” David says, smirking. “As your Guardian and Adviser, I suggest that you tell them soon.”

“Nope,” Alison says, glaring. “I’ll be out late.”

“Where?” I ask curiously.

“None of your business,” she snaps, storming off.

♠ ♣ ♠

“What’s up with Alison?” I ask Sophie once we were all up on Fallen.

“Just leave her alone,” Sophie snaps. She stomps away from me quickly, leaving me there to wonder in my own thoughts.

Why were Alison and Sophie so angry? Why did it seem like they hate me? Millions of other questions were sworming around me. I didn’t bother with asking anyone. They probably wouldn’t answer me, anyway.

Something was up. If no one was going to tell me what exactly that was, then I’ll just find out myself.