Temporary Bliss

In the morning when you aren’t holdin’ me.

A cool breeze filters in through the cracked window causing Joe to stir in his sleep. His eyes don’t open as he reaches down and tugs the blanket from low on his bare hips up to his chest. The movements are automatic when he turns to clench tighter to the form in his arms. The weight caves in around his tightened grip and his eyes open rather quickly. They are only open for a second, however, because as soon as the golden orbs take in their observation they pin themselves shut again.

There is a sharp pain in his chest. It’s familiar to him, this emptiness and rejection that pounds in his heart. It happens every morning, and every morning he kicks himself for thinking it would have changed. He spent the night clutching closely to the pillow, not her. Joe opens his eyes again and does so slowly. It wasn’t a dream, and his heart sinks further as he sees that she truly is not in his arms. It’s colder, much colder now that he knows she isn’t in the bed.

With a glance around the room he realizes she isn’t even in the same room. To think about it, she probably isn’t in the apartment at all. He doesn’t move for a few minutes. The sheets were covered in her scent and he lets himself get submersed within the aroma. A shiver racks through his body and he can’t get away from the thoughts of her. Victoria had the prettiest smile Joe had ever seen. The mere thought of the way he used to make her smile brought a smile to his face. They had something beautiful, the two of them.


A loud squeal erupted from the blonde’s lips as she fell to the mattress. Her soft wavy locks sprawled across the white pillow behind her head. Seconds later a masculine figure fell down next to her, partially on top of her slender frame. The giggles were loud as his fingers dance across her sides tickling her wildly.

“Joe! Stop! Stop!” Victoria’s words were slurred with giggles and large gasps for air. A loud laugh was Joe’s only response as he continued to tickle the girl crazily. The way her face lit up with laughter made his stomach jump into his throat better than any roller coaster could. He was smiling like a mad man when he finally pulled away and stared down at the huffing young woman.

“That wasn’t fair, Baby!” the blonde scuffed as Joe slowly moved over her. A blush crept to her cheeks when he had settled in his place, straddling her waist. Joe smiled and slowly leant down towards her reddened face. They were centimeters away from each other and she could feel his warm breath on her lips. His breath smelt of mint and sugar, most likely from the peppermint candies they had devoured a few hours previous.

“I thought it was more than fair,” he whispered before slowly pressing his lips against hers.

Joe shook his head quickly, opening his eyes and reminding himself that the past is gone. He was never really sure what changed between the two of them. Once she moved from England to LA the difference in her became a bit more obvious. She liked the clubs and the clubs very much liked her. That was what truly tore her away from him. Joe was willing to go have a good time but Victoria took it way too far for Joe’s tastes. Now all that’s left of the relationships was Joe’s death grip on the love he feels. He didn’t want to lose it. The memories of happiness were far too strong and he wanted that happiness back more than anything in his life.

A groan fell from Joe’s lips as he slowly pulled himself from her sheets and slide into the pair of boxer briefs he had discarded the night before. He was foolishly hopeful as he walked out of the bedroom into the main room of the apartment. One again his hopes crashed as the room sat empty. He sighed to himself and padded to the kitchen area putting on a pot of coffee. He stayed silent as he went through the motions. How many more mornings would he have to suffer this pain? What’s the point of doing this everyday when all she does his push his dreams down. He was being used and he knew it.

Emotions began to roll around within Joe’s head as he tapped his fingers against the counter staring across the room at the note she had left. It went unread because he knew exactly what it said. They always said the same exact thing and everyday he took it, and kept it with him. ‘Thanks for coming baby, love Vic’ with a bright red kiss next to her name. He had always kept them, taking them and cherishing the fact that she called him baby and used the word he held so dear. As he waited for the coffee to brew his eyes locked on the note. He wanted to walk across the room. He wanted to pick it up and hold it close to him.

The hardwood creaked under Joe’s feet as he left the kitchen and headed back into the bedroom. Pulling his clothes on, he looked around the room once more. Disgusting, he thought to himself, completely disgusting. His actions were quicker than normal. Joe always lagged as long as he could in hopes of catching Victoria coming home. He never did and it seemed as if today he did not want to catch her. The coffee was done now, and the scent faintly masked that of the common odors of the home.

Joe’s face was emotionless when he walked back into the main room. His golden eyes cast down and over at the note on the table. The sneaker covering his foot lifted from the ground. He was about to take a step straight towards the pesky note. A step towards yet another piece of paper that he would pile up in hopes of finding his lost love. But he didn’t. He turned around and walked away. The door closed with a click and he headed down the hall. The coffee was abandoned and it was very well obvious that the coffee had just been a reason to stay. As he padded towards his car he walked further and further away from his excuse to stay in the apartment. His mind sizzled with frustration as his hands clenched at his sides. Go get the note, his mind yelled at him with force. You’ve got to find a way to get her back! Go get the damn note.

A few moments later he was sitting in the driver’s seat of his Mercedes. His mind was still pleading with him to get the note. Aggressively he slammed the keys into the ignition before backing out of the spot quickly. The car was speeding propelled by Joe’s desperation to get away. He couldn’t turn back now or he would never be free. When the car slowed to a stop in front of Joe’s home a sigh fell from his lips. He made it, no looking back. A grin slowly eased up and took over his expression. No looking back.
♠ ♠ ♠
-fin-

To be completely honest I'm not very proud of the second part of this. School has been very busy so I didn't write it all together at one time. I apologize if the ending let you down a bit. It's done now. Thank you for reading<3