Status: Completed

Do You Remember

...the carnival we went to?

Every year when we were younger, there used to be a carnival that was held in our town around Christmas time and every year, you and I would vow to go together, and every year, one of us would have to disappoint the other because of many different reasons that were out of our control – job interviews, sick relatives, family holidays... The list goes on.

However, the year we got engaged (it was such an eventful year, that one) we were finally able to attend the annual carnival together, and we were thrilled.
We'd been praying that there wouldn't be some random disaster that would stop us from going that year and thankfully, luck was in our favour and we were soon wandering (well, bouncing) around the showground where the carnival was held, chatting to each other a million words a minute about the things we wanted to do there - the rides we wanted to go on, the games we wanted to play, the prizes we wanted to win, the food we wanted to indulge in.

I remember having to literally hold you back from one particular stall that showed off a huge blue teddy bear with a sign around his neck that said you could win him if you knocked down all the bowling pins in one throw.
As soon as you saw the bear, you knew you had to have it and began begging me almost instantly to allow you to try and win it.
I nearly gave in when you used the puppy-dog eyes on me, but for once, my brain decided to be logical, and I told you we should wait until we'd been on all the rides we wanted to go on first, otherwise we'd be lugging the bear around with us the whole day.
I could practically see the cogs turning in your head as you pondered my moment of smartness before you finally agreed with me.

With a pout, you grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the Dodge 'Em Cars.
"Ad?" I asked, "Are you sure the Dodge 'Ems are a good idea?"
Even back then you'd had back problems, and I was worried you'd somehow damage it even more if you went on a ride that's sole purpose was to have people run into you.

You had turned to me with a slight smirk."You're not scared are you, Joshy?” you asked, challenging me.
“Of course not!” I snorted in reply, and asked the man working the ride for two cars.
He pointed two out and you ran towards them, shouting back at me that you wanted the red one.
I rolled my eyes, but let you have the red one anyway, seeing as it seemed so important to you for some reason.
I hopped in the blue one next to yours, and grinned as I looked over at you.
You looked so cute, like a little kid, really.
Your hands were gripping the steering wheel tightly, and you were bouncing around in your seat excitedly.

I was about to open my mouth to tell you how adorable you looked when my car lurched into life.
I let out a little shriek of surprise that made you giggle, and I grabbed the steering wheel of my car and turned it away from the wall I was about to run into.

We spent the next five minutes or so running into each other and other people (well, when I wasn’t trying to manoeuvre away from the walls, anyway. I swear my car had a magnet or something that just attracted it to the walls. As soon as I turned away from one wall, I’d find myself stuck against a different one).

I was relieved when my car (and all the rest, obviously) slowed down and eventually stopped, but I wouldn’t let it show; you would’ve teased me.
I shakily managed to pull myself out of the car and helped you out of yours.
You were grinning at me like a maniac.
Obviously you, at least, had enjoyed yourself, me, on the other hand, not so much.

“Can we do that again, Josh?” you asked, “That was so much fun!”
“Uh…why don’t we do something else now? Maybe later…Hey look, a hotdog stand” I replied, and grabbed your hand, before dragging you over to the food stand.

The rest of the day, we dragged each other around the showground, trying out all the different games and trying to get the big prizes (I don’t think I need to mention that we failed miserably).
I don’t know about you, but I was shocked when it became dark.
I hadn’t even noticed how long we’d been there until the sun went down.
I guess, as the saying goes, time flies when you’re having fun.
But I could tell you were getting tired; so was I, but there was one thing I wanted to do before I left.
Well, two, actually, but you wouldn’t let me go on the rollercoaster.

“But Jo-oshhh. You know I’m scared of heights. And fast things,” you complained.
I smirked. “You’re not scared of me when I go fast…”
“That’s not what I meant, and you know it. Get your mind out of the gutter.” Oh, I’m sorry, can I help it? I don’t think so. Ever since you and I got together, my mind has been permanently in the gutter.
“Fine then,” I caved. “What about the Ferris wheel?”
“I…guess? As long as you don’t let me fall. It’s so high up,” you said, shifting your gaze from my face to the gigantic wheel.

“I will never let you fall

I’ll stand up for you forever

I’ll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to Heaven…”

I sang loudly, making passer-bys stare at me as they walked past.
You sighed, “I love that song.”
“I know.”
‘Your Guardian Angel’ has been one of your favourite songs ever since you heard it the first time at my house several years ago.

You smiled up at me, before hugging me tightly around my waist.
Apparently, my singing that song made you feel safe, because as soon as you let me go, you took my hand and led me over to the Ferris wheel and asked the man for a chair. Although we were still really close to the ground when we sat down, you suddenly started freaking out.

“Oh, god. Oh, god. What if the bolt comes unscrewed and we go rolling away?” you asked me with terrified eyes.
“Ad, relax. It’ll be perfectly fine. Look how pretty the showground is all lit up. Imagine it from up there,” I pointed to the top of the wheel, just as the ride began moving. You grabbed my arm in a vice-like grip. It hurt, actually, but I wasn’t going to tell you to let go when you were so terrified.

It didn’t take long for our chair to get to the top. At that point, you had your hands covering your eyes and you were shaking.
“Addison? Baby, look at me,” I whispered, and slowly pulled your hands away from your eyes.
You allowed me to wipe the tears from your eyes and hold your face in my hand.
“I’ve always wanted to do this…” I trailed off as I moved closer to you.
When our lips touched, it was like our first kiss all over again.
I got the tingles (although, I always get the tingles when I kiss you).
It was just so beautiful being able to kiss you while up so high, looking at such a stunning view.

You seemed to relax after that.
I have no idea why, and you didn’t seem to know either.
But it didn’t matter; I just didn’t want to go back down.

But unfortunately, the operator had a different idea.
Almost as soon as our kiss ended, the ride lurched into motion again and we slowly made it back to solid ground.

“Josh?”
“Yeah?” I sighed.
“Can we go home now?”
“Of course,” I said, and took your hand once more.

As we were about to leave the showground, I remembered that big blue teddy bear.

“Hey, Ad? Can you do me a favour?”
“Yeah?” you asked, curious.
“Can you go get me a drink from there?” I pointed, “There’s just something I need to do.”
“Okay,” you replied, suspicious, and went over to the vendor.

I practically ran to the stall, and spoke to the man working it.
“Okay, look. That bear. How much do you want for it cause I know someone who really wants it and I’m a shit throw, so please, please can I buy it from you?”
The man chuckled, and told me a price.
I’m not going to tell you how much; you don’t need to know.

Anyway, as soon as I handed over the money and received the bear, you appeared carrying the drink I’d asked for as an excuse to get you out of the way for a few minutes.

Well… it’s a good thing I wasn’t actually thirsty, because as soon as you saw the ginormous bear in my arms, you dropped the can of drink and ran over to me.

“Oh, my god, Joshy! You…”
I cut you off, “It’s for you,” I said, handing him over.
The bear was almost as big as you, but it didn’t seem to worry you at all.
You hugged him tightly to you for a little while until you put him down on the benchy part of the stall I won bought him from and pretty much jumped into my arms, wrapping your legs tightly around my waist and squeezing the life out of me.

“Oh my god, Josh. I love you,” you squealed, and kissed me quickly but passionately, “And I love James, too.”
“Hey now. You got another boyfriend you haven’t told me about?” I asked, teasing you.
You grinned, “Nooooo, dumbass,” you pointed at the bear, “That’s James.”
“I know,” I whispered, and kissed you again. “Now, let’s get outta here, huh?”

--

That year was the only year we were able to go to the carnival.
It’s upsetting, but at least we got to go at least that one time.
Every time I look at James (and by the way, I have no idea why you chose James of all names, but whatever) sitting in the plastic chair beside your bed, it reminds me of that day/evening, and it always brings a smile to my face.
I’ve noticed that James also brings a smile to your face when you look at him; I love seeing you smile, it…this sounds corny…but it warms my heart.

I could watch you smiling and laughing for hours; just seeing you happy makes me happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for taking so long and then posting a kinda 'eh' chapter D:
But, I hope you enjoy reading it more than I enjoyed writing it (it took me forever to get out).
Didja see the hint I left in there somewhere about what's wrong with Addy?

Anyway, tell me what you thought?

Thank you to:
megzor
a7xgirl6661
Hezzarther
Danny Worsnop.
I'm Just A Girl
BisexualAngel
MattLuvv
KobraKid

for commenting on the last chapter <3

Also, I think my NEW SLASH CORRUPT ME needs some love. Check it outtttt :D