Status: enjoy.

You're the Air I Breathe

chapter nineteen.

Macy’s Point of View

“Alright, well, since you’ve reached 4 months, would you like to know the sex of the baby?” Doctor Mackenzie asked, taking the wand off my stomach. I looked over at Nick who was kneeling down beside me. He smiled and nodded, and I turned back to the Doctor. “We’ve talked about it already, and we both decided that we’d like to know the sex of the baby.” She smiled and pulled out a different wand, and placed it down on my stomach.

“Alright, then; let me just take a little look see…” She moved the wand around, and Nick held my hand tightly. “Well, by the looks of it…it seems to me that you’re going to be parents to a little baby…girl!” My head instantly filled with the thought of pink frilly, girly things. Pink baby booties, pink outfits, pink wallpaper, everything pink. Nick smiled with tears in his own eyes. “A baby girl; a little baby girl!” He said, not believing himself. I laughed and hugged him tight.

Doctor Mackenzie smiled and finished up with the ultra-sound equipment. “Congratulations you two; Macy, everything seems to be going great with you and the baby’s health. Just keep taking the vitamins I recommended, and no alcohol.” I nodded and thanked her. She smiled and told us to make an appointment at the front desk.

I got down from the table and sighed, hugging Nick gently. I imagined Nick 15 years from now, with his baby girl. I imagined him being the overprotective Dad; the one who always knew what she was up to. I laughed at the thought of it. I felt sorry for the first boy who’d show up to our house.

He smiled. “Now we can decorate the nursery.” I nodded and squealed. “Lots and lots of pink!” He laughed. “Come on, let’s go out for lunch.” I smiled and he held my hand as we walked out of the doctor’s office together.

Nick’s Point of View

We stopped at Subway for lunch. We decided to stop by Stella and Joe’s house afterwards. I parked the car in the driveway, and helped Macy out of the car. She ran up to the door, rang the doorbell, and I stood behind her laughing. “I can’t wait to tell her.” She said, smiling.

The door swung open and it was Joe standing there, looking upset. My smile turned into a concerned frown. “Joe…is everything okay?” He sighed, and shook his head. Macy looked at me, then back at Joe. “What’s wrong? Where’s Stella?” He let us inside, and we sat down on the couch. He sat on the coffee table across from us.

Macy’s Point of View

“It’s…Stella’s Dad. He’s not doing too well.” My heart sunk. Mr. Malone was my second dad. “Wait, what? What’s wrong with him?” I said my voice cracking. Joe sighed. “He had a stroke this morning at his home. He’s in the hospital in critical condition.” I gasped, and covered my mouth, shaking my head. “Is Stella with him right now?” Nick asked. Joe nodded. He put his jacket on and grabbed his car keys. “I’m actually on my way there right now.” We got up from the couch and followed him outside.

“Would it be okay if we came with you?” Joe nodded and smiled a bit. “I’m sure she’d love that.” We got back into our car and followed Joe back to the hospital.

We waited there in the waiting room as Joe went back into Mr. Malone’s room. Nick sighed and turned to me, cupping my hands in his. “It’ll be alright, hun.” I closed my eyes as they stung from tears.

About an hour later Joe walked out. His face was red and puffy, but he faked a smile anyways. He sat down beside Nick, and Nick patted his back. Joe turned to us and smiled, tears in his eyes. “I…got to talk to him by himself for a minute.” I looked at him sadly.

“And, I sat beside his beside, and I held his hand gently. He’s in a coma, so he isn’t really responding. But, I asked him…if it’d be okay if I asked for Stella’s hand in marriage.” I smiled through my tears, and touched his hand gently. “Aw, Joe.” He smiled. “I told him to squeeze my hand once for a yes, and not to squeeze if he didn’t want me to. I waited for a little while, then I finally felt that squeeze.” He wiped his eyes and sighed.

Nick hugged him. “How’s Stella holding up?” He asked. He shook his head. “She’s not doing well, but hey. It’s not easy.” I bit my lip, knowing I’d regret asking this, but I said it anyways. “Joe, how are things looking for Mr. Malone?” I asked, with a bit of hope in my voice.

He looked at me solemnly, and shook his head. “It’s not looking good….”
♠ ♠ ♠
short chapter, i know.
but a long one will either be up tomorrow, or tonight.
(:
sorry its been awhile, too.