Status: enjoy.

You're the Air I Breathe

chapter twenty-eight.

Nick’s Point of View
We all began to clap and cheer, as we watched Joe and Stella step into their limo, which was on its way to the airport. Macy shouted with Kaylee in her arms, “Have fun on your honeymoon!” She smiled and began to wave frantically.

Stella and Joe waved from the back window of the limo, smiling like crazy. The wedding ceremony and reception were both beautiful. Joe did great, and Stella looked great, even though I don’t think she ever would’ve pictured herself 5 months pregnant at her wedding.

I smiled and turned to Macy, who had a tired-out Kaylee in her arms. She was the flower girl today at the ceremony, and she looked adorable as she was wheeled down the aisle in a little wagon. I held my arms out and Macy passed her to me. She gently rested her little head on my shoulder and closed her eyes, and we headed back to our mini-van in the parking lot nearby.

I slide Kaylee gently into her car-seat and buckled her in. She little eyelids flickered gently and I smiled. Macy was watching from the passenger’s seat with a big smile. I winked at her, closed the sliding door, and hopped in the driver’s seat. We both looked back and smiled, watching our little girl sleep.

Macy looked at me for a second, and then kissed me softly on the lips. I smiled and began to pull out of the parking lot.

Stella’s Point of View
The Next Morning


He kissed my forehead and smiled. I rubbed some sleep out of my eyes, and realized it was morning. “Good morning Mrs. Lucas.” He said, looking at my stomach and chuckling. I looked at him confused. “What? What’s so funny?” He shook his head and looked up at me. “I still can’t believe we’re having a baby...”

I smiled. “Actually...now that you’re bringing the subject up...” He laughed, and gently placed his hand atop of mine. “What’s on your mind, babe?” He said, resting his head down on his pillow. I smiled and sat up. “I was thinking ahead...about the delivery and all? And, I’ve decided I want to try for an all-natural home birth.” Joe looked at me confused. I continued. “You know, no medicine. Nothing for the pain, no epidural, and we could get a mid-wife to come and help.” I smiled, waiting for an answer.

He sighed, and smiled at me. “Stella, I just want what’s best for you and our baby. I just don’t want you to be in a lot of pain, that’s all.” I laughed. “Joe, labour is labour. That’s why it’s called that. I know I’m going to suffer some pain, but I think I’m ready. And, I know what’s best for the baby. Besides, I think it’d be nice for the baby to be born into our home.”

He kissed my cheek and whispered to me. “I can’t wait until we start our family.”

Joe’s Point of View
4 Months Later


I was sitting on the couch, flipping through the channels. Stella was already on home bed rest by this point, and was sitting in bed, reading some magazines. Just as I flipped to a desirable channel, I heard Stella begin to scream bloody murder.

I fell off the couch, thinking nothing but the worse. I grabbed the closest thing to a weapon I could find, and ran into the bedroom. Stella looked at me, confused, as I almost fell again. “Joe, why the hell are you holding my umbrella?!” I looked into my hand, and released the umbrella.

I ran over beside her. She looked at me with wide eyes, grabbing my shirt collar. “It’s time, Joe. It’s time!” I scratched my head. “Time for what?” She closed her eyes and sighed. “Oh, I don’t know Joe. Maybe go for a walk, get some coffee, or maybe, WELCOME OUR CHILD INTO THE WORLD?”

I jumped back; scared she was going to give birth any minute. I could feel my skin become clammy. “Joe...You’re turning pale. I need you to breathe deeply, and go call the mid-wife and Macy.” I stood there, nodding my head. I grabbed the portable phone off the table and called the mid-wife first. I told her to hurry over, that Stella was in labour.

I hung up the phone, and then dialled Nick and Macy’s number. Nick answered cheerfully. “Hey brother, long time no see.” I laughed. “Ha-ha, I know right? Oh, by the way, I’m working new song.” I looked to my left and saw Stella’s face. “Oh that’s cool, what’s it called?” My eyes widened, and I plugged my ears as Stella screamed my name as loud as she could.

“Whoa man. This pregnancy is really getting to Stella’s hormones, eh?” My heart began to race. “Nick, Stella’s giving birth soon! Send Macy over ASAP!” The other end of the phone was silent for a few seconds. “Oh my god Joe, you idiot! Maybe you should’ve started with that line! But, just stay calm. Don’t pass out. Macy’s on her way.” I nodded, and then I realized he couldn’t see me, so I just said, “Copy that.”

Before I knew it, both the mid-wife and Macy had arrived. They both came into our bedroom where Stella was lying in bed, trying to control her breathing, as I stood in the corner of the room, trying to control my own.

Macy walked over to me, and calmly patted my shoulder. “It’s ok, Joe. You can do this. We’ve been down this road before.” I looked at her and nodded, my breathing becoming more controlled. “You got this man!” She chanted. “You got this!” I nodded enthusiastically. “I got this man! I got this!”

Macy’s Point of View

The hours began to tick by, and Stella slowly began to progress towards delivery. We could tell she was in a lot of pain; I couldn’t believe she wanted to deliver naturally. I had an epidural and all those lovely drugs, and I still found it very painful.

I was sitting beside her, trying to comfort her best to my ability. It was weird being the other point of view, because just over a year ago, I was in her position, and she was in mine.

We were doing some breathing exercises, as Joe sat on the other side of her bed, holding her hand. He was actually coping pretty well. I think my mini pep talk was working. I gave him thumbs up and he slightly smiled, refocusing his concentration towards Stella.

After a couple of minutes, the mid-wife directed that we should start pushing. I already knew Stella was in a lot of pain; I could see it on her face. But she was doing a pretty good job of hiding it. I personally think she was just trying not to spook Joe.

I grabbed one of Stella’s legs, and she held up the other. I smiled at Stella, and squeezed her hand. “You can do this, girl. You’ll be fine.” She smiled at me with tears in her eyes and nodded. The mid-wife looked at us. “Okay, are you ready to start pushing?”

Stella nodded as Joe pulled a chair up beside her bedside, and held onto her hand. He kissed her forehead and smiled. “I’m right here, babe. I’m right here. Squeeze as hard as you...OH GOD, alright. That’s a good grip you got there.” I laughed.

Stella’s Point of View

I ignored everything around me, trying to concentrate on getting this baby out. “Alright Stella; on the count of three, you can start pushing. 1...2...3!” I began to push as hard as I could. I screamed loudly after I stopped. “Oh my god, oh my god, no one ever told me it hurts this much!” Sweat was dripping down my forehead.

“Hence, the power of epidural.” Macy said, smiling. I rolled my eyes, squeezing Joe’s hand tighter. “Alright, again. 1...2...3!” I pushed again. The mid-wife shouted. “I can see the head! Just another couple good pushes!” I groaned. Joe kissed my forehead again. “We’re almost done, babe. Almost there.” I took a deep breath and pushed again, as hard as I possibly could.

“One more good push!” Macy smiled at me. “Come on, Stella! Your almost there!” I was so overwhelmed; I was trying to keep it together. I took another deep breath, and pushed again.

Suddenly, I heard a small cry. I opened my eyes and looked and saw my baby. I smiled instantly, tears of joy streaming down my face. Joe smiled, and I realized he was crying too. He kissed me quick and hugged me gently. “I’m so proud of you.” He whispered into my ear.

The mid-wife weighed our baby. “8lbs 3 ounces!” Joe shouted. I smiled and Macy hugged me. “Congratulations girl. You did so good.” I smiled. I watched Joe cut the umbilical cord, and then they wrapped her up. Joe walked over to me and placed her in my arms. “She’s beautiful.” I said, looking at her. She had blue, blue eyes like me and a little bit of blonde hair. She had Joe’s nose and mouth.

I looked down at her and smiled. “She’s perfect.”
♠ ♠ ♠
second last chapter, guys! :)
finale coming soon.