Status: It's all complete...Woot! Woot!

Puzzles for a Million

Chapter 3

This time, the room that each team entered had a desk and in the center of the desk was a small screen. On each side of the screen laid two headsets that had microphones attached to them. George and Kris immediately placed the headsets on. They did that just in time because the directions came to them.

“I will say each question one time. You are to speak the answer into your microphones. The person in charge of your headsets will check to see if you are right or wrong. There’s one minute to answer each question. A hint will show up on the screen in front of you.” George and Kris nodded to each other as an unsaid message passed between them.

“Question 1: A fellow encountered a bear in a wasteland. There was nobody else there. Both were frightened and ran away. Fellow to the north, bear to the west. Suddenly the fellow stopped, aimed his gun to the south and shot the bear. What color was the bear?” George quickly memorized the question in the head then looked at the screen that had blinked to life.

On the screen, words started to fade in until the following message was displayed: “If the bear ran about 3.14 times faster than the fellow (still westwards), the fellow could have shot straight in front of him, however for the booty he would have to go to the south.” Kris looked confusingly at George and George knew this problem was for him to solve. His brain took in the numbers and did wondrous calculations with them. At last, the answer came to him.

“White. The bear is white.” George spoke into the microphone. A sound came back to him, “Congrats. That is correct. Please wait for 30 more seconds for the other teams.” Then there was a click and George and Kris were left to wait. During that time, Kris smiled and high-fived George.

“Question 2: Once the Wii remote is shut down, what happens?” This time, the screen had the letters “N/A”. Kris scanned his mind for the many facts and hints he’d always research for before playing a game. His face twisted up into a confused face and looked towards George for help. However, George’s face was just as confused looking as his, if not more.

The many choices zoomed through his mind. The answer could be that the whole Wii is shut down or the connection between the remote and the Wii is shut down, but these answers seemed too obvious. Thinking hard, Kris finally recalled an info he’d read many years ago on a site featuring many secret facts about the Wii.

“The plasma burning reduction kicks in.” Kris answers. Once again, they were congratulated and were asked to wait. George looked cheerfully at Kris and they nodded.

“What is one kpop group that was popular in 2009-2012 whose name sounds like a number?” Kris and George were both unprepared for this one. Music wasn’t a talent for either one. Sure, Kris knew songs in games he played and George listened to classical music, but neither listened to kpop. Luckily, this time the screen had a hint.

“enoenowt.” The letters on the screen read. Both Kris and George’s first reaction was to think “Enoenowt” (pronounced en-oh-now-t), but that is not a number. Kris thought back to his detective games and George thought back to puzzle books. They scrambled the letters, unscrambled the letters, put letters on top of each other, and took away letters, and so on. Finally, after about 45 seconds, they both screamed “TWO-N-E-ONE!”

“Correct and congrats. Please wait for 15 more seconds.” George and Kris jumped up and started dancing to celebrate. At last, when the 15 seconds were over, the voice came back through the headphones.

“Please enter the room to your left and continue wearing your headsets.” George and Kris knew this round isn’t over yet and entered the room where they saw all the other teams, but the man wasn’t there.

“The floor in front of you contains many mines and explosives and traps. This is all based on luck as well. Try to get to the other side of the room. Here’s one hint. The circles are some of the safe places. Good luck.” The voice went off from the headsets and the teams were left to ponder what to do.

One of the 6 remaining teams decided to go bravely. The first 3 steps they took went perfectly fine. The fourth one ended up trapping one of the members in a net. The other member looked up at the net now hanging from the ceiling with her teammate in it. The headset started to speak again.

“If one member is trapped, the other member can still be going. If the member succeeds, 5 points for that team. If both members win, 10 points for that team.” After hearing that, the girl that was in the middle of the floor crept cautiously to the other side and succeeded, earning 5 points for her team.

By this time, another team decided to be brave as well. Everyone was about 2 meters away from each team on their sides and so was unable to take the exact path. This team had one girl and one boy as well. They took separate ways in case one gets caught, however, luck was not on their side and so the boy was left hanging from a foot and the girl was ducking under a table shivering, having luckily not been hit by it, but was squished underneath it.

So each team went ahead, some ending up with 1 person succeeding, and some with both failing. This went on and traps continued to surprise the teams until George and Kris were the last team on the starting side.

When the other teams had been trying to cross the floor, George and Kris had been coming up with a plan. Separate, if safe after a few steps, go to a circle quickly, then repeat process. And so they split off, one to each direction- right and left. The other team members watched on as the two boys swiftly got past the traps. Some face palmed themselves while others looked on with admiration. With the success of their plan and luck on their side, they both made it to the other side, being the 2nd team to do so.

Author’s Note and Break Time for the readers: AHHHHHH My back hurts, my brain is dying, my eyes are fuzzy, my stomach is hungry, I’m thirsty…..*continues complaining* k, break time over, continue…..

“Awesome!” The teams that were trapped finally were freed and they all celebrated for a while. Even those that lost had to admit it was a great round and were excited for the continuing teams. At last, the celebration died down and the eliminated teams left after giving thumbs up to the rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Told ya it would b much longer xD