Sequel: Forget It All

You're My Backbone

You're Not In Love With Him

I took a sip of the cherry punch, but it was a little too sweet for my liking. I pursed my lips at the sour taste. Next to me, Kennedy chuckled.

"I think somebody spiked the punch." I said, setting my cup full down on the table and trying to get my taste buds to return to normal.

Kennedy cringed, but nodded his head. "Most likely. We have some real physco paths at this school if you hadn't noticed by now."

I nodded my head. "Of course I noticed! I'm looking at one right now!" I joked, grinning at Kennedy.

"Hey!" He objected, then pouted. "You're mean."

I rolled my eyes jokingly. "Suck it up."

His eyes widened. "I never thought I'd be able to hear those words come out of your mouth before!"

"I'm not as goody-goody as you think I am."

Kennedy gave me a "yeah right'' and a ''come on'' kind of look.

I sighed heavily. "Okay, I am."

Kennedy wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Don't worry June. You've obviously changed for the better since you moved here. You're more open and thats who you really are- you just couldn't find it before."

I nodded my head, stifling a smile. I leaned my head on Kennedy's shoulder. I was more than comfortable and something about Kennedy made me feel safe.

I watched as Garrett and Maddie continued dancing out on the floor to some terrible pop song. I was sure Garrett disliked it. Not only the song, but the actual act of dancing. I mean, at first he looked like he was having a pleasant time, but now, after about an hour of dancing with some obnoxious, loud girl, he looks displeased. I grinned.

"What are you smiling about?" Kennedy leaned his head down to mine and whispered.

"Garrett looks unsatisfied with his date."

Kennedy didn't reply. Instead, he raised his head and dropped his arm from my shoulder. "You want something to drink?" He stopped for a moment and slapped himself on purpose. "Oh wait, sorry, you don't drink, right?"

"Actually," I began, " I do."

"What?" Kennedy's tone showed he was beyond surprised. "I thought you and Garrett were 'no drinking buddies' or whatever? Does John know?"

"Shh!" I hissed. "No, John does not know and he won't find out. Garrett doesn't know either. I rather keep it that way too."

"Since when have you been drinking?"

"Since that party when John sand karaoke."

I knew the real reason. Since Garrett started going out with Maddie.

"Oh," Kennedy nodded his head, still clearly confused. "Well, come on then."

Kennedy took hold of my hand and led me outside. We walked over to the football field and onto the bleachers. We took a seat next to each other. "Halvo, Darry, and Jared are coming. They've got the beer."

I nodded my head and remained quiet.

"You look really pretty tonight June." Kennedy commented, not making any eye contact with me. Instead, he stared into the distance facing the empty field.

"Thanks Kenny." I whispered.

Once again, he wrapped an arm around my shoulder and brought me in tight against his chest. I bit my lip, getting this weird feeling in my gut.

It then occurred to me it was the same feeling I got when Josh had kissed me on the cheek. It felt like guilt, betrayal.

I swallowed hard and stayed quiet for several moments. About three minutes later, Halvo, Jared, and Darry came out onto the bleachers, all holding beer bottles for us.

I took one eagerly and used the edge of the seat to pop the bottle cap off. I took a quick swig and moved away from Kennedy and closer to Darry, who had taken the seat next to me.

"Garrett was looking for you." Darry whispered to me as the three boys were engulfed in conversation about something else.

"Oh yeah? What'd he want?"

Darry shrugged. "I think he wanted to ask you to dance."

That sentence made me want to jump up and run back to the school. I wanted to throw the beer bottle on the ground and throw up every ounce I had ever drunk. I had the urge to fall right into Garrett's arms and dance with him non-stop.

I caught my breath and bit my lip. "Oh."

Suddenly, a thought popped into my head. "What about Maddie?"

"I didn't see her," Darry raised her eyebrows. "actually, I saw here right before Garrett. She was crying her eyes out."

"And Garrett wasn't with her?" I asked as I furrowed my brow.

"Nope," Darry shook her head.

"That's...... weird."

"Yep. Do you want to go back inside? It's pretty chilly out."

"Sure!" I popped right up, out of my seat.

Darry told the guys that we were going back into the dance. They all nodded their heads and told us they would be in a little later.

As we walked back into the school I noticed something. "Hey, where's Pat been? I haven't seen him at all."

"He's got a date." Darry grinned.

I smiled. "Who?"

"This girl Emily. She's nice; I saw them dancing before."

I nodded my head as we walked back into the gymnasium. The dance was wiring down by now. It was obvious people had left and there were only a couple people on the dance floor. A couple people including my brother and Daisy dancing and smiling at each other.

I ignored them, but couldn't help but smile.

I caught a familiar figure out of the corner of my eye.

Garrett, sat alone on the bleachers looking down at his hands and playing with his figures. My heart ached and pain flooded through me. I couldn't ignore my closest friend here. I had been a horrible person to him the past two weeks. This had to come to an end, because quite frankly, he was completely right about Josh.

"Hey Darry," She turned around and a gestured to Garrett sitting alone. "I'm gonna go talk to him."

Darry grinned. "Good."

I smiled lightly at her, but it soon faded as I walked over to him. I prayed that he wouldn't look up at me and notice I was walking towards him. My plan had been to slip right in next to him.

Unfortunately, my plan didn't work out. Instead, Garrett's head popped right up when I was about a foot in front of him. My stomach dropped and I felt like a swarm of bees was flying around in there. I swallowed hard as I noticed his piercing, hard, cold blue eyes looking right at me. Not even through me; right at me, like bullets tearing through me. I hadn't stared or made contact with these eyes since I screamed at him.

"June?" Garrett said my name as a question although he knew who I was. He knew I was standing right in front of him.

I suppose it was because he didn't think I would give him the time of day anymore. But here I was, ready to apologize and willing to continue our friendship.

I smiled lightly, but it fell from my lips, noticing his expression. He looked..... sad. I took a seat next to him. I noticed his hand idly placed on his knee. I desperately wanted to hold it in mine, but I shoved the thought out of my mind. I took a deep breath. "You were right."

He furrowed his brow and looked at me. "What?"

"Josh. You were right about him." I looked down, staring at the hand that was now placed in between us.

"Aw, June. I'm so sorry." He then did something that I was sure surprised the both of us. He wrapped his arm along my shoulder and pulled me in closer to him. His touch sent shock waves through my veins.

"He stood me up." I mumbled.

Garrett looked at me blankly for a moment. "What?" I asked.

"He's crazy. That bastards crazy."

"Why's that?"

Garrett blushed a deep red, but said something anyway. "Why would anyone stand up someone as beautiful as you?"

My cheeks were on fire and it wasn't until then that I realized how close we were to each other. His arm was no longer on my shoulders, but wrapped around my waist. I had placed a hand on his knee, which made my palm sweat.

I couldn't respond, instead I stared down at my shoes. Adrenaline coursed through my veins and I quickly snapped my head up. Garrett's face was inches apart from mine. I leaned in and pecked him on the cheek. As my lips met his bare skin, it burned a wild sensation that was so hard to describe. "Thank you." I whispered into his ear.

He nodded his head and then whispered into my ear, "I broke up with Maddie."

I pulled my head back slightly, shocked to hear this news. "What? Why?"

"I found her kissing another guy. Then found out she wasn't just two-timing me, but there was three guys involved."

My eyes went wide. "Oh my god, Gare. I'm so sorry."

He shook his head. "Don't be. You were right too."

"June!" I heard a voice call my name. I turned around, not quite wanting to to find my brother, Halvo, and Kennedy standing there waving.

"Come on, we're leaving!" John said.

I nodded my head and stood up. Garrett took hold of my hand and stood up with me. I turned to him, staring at the hand. I got the courage to look up and find his wonderful blue eyes. I gulped the lump in my throat and bit my lip.

"I'll see you sometime this weekend?" He asked.

I nodded my head enthusiastically. "Of course."

He leaned in a kissed me on the cheek. Unlike me kiss, it wasn't quick or fast. He lingered there for a moment as my breath quickened.

As I ran towards John I could still feel the pressure of his lips on my cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
gdskjflsgdjslhkarfksjfn. I love this chapter.
I hope you all do too!
Comment and subscribe!