Sequel: Forget It All

You're My Backbone

This Fragile Game

"I'm heading over to Garrett's. Where's mom?" John asked, throwing on his coat and heading towards the front door.

I sighed heavily. "She only told you about thirty times."

John stuck his tongue out at me. "No, really, where is she?"

"She went out with these girls she met at work. I don't think she'll be home until later tonight. Which is why she wanted one of us to watch Ross," My eyes shot across the room to my younger brother, "the thirteen year old child."

"I don't need a babysitter!" He protested.

"Not according to mom." I rolled my eyes.

John sighed and leaned against the doorframe of the living room entrance. "Shane is here and he's not going anywhere because he's sick, so why don't you come over to Garrett's with me?"

I shrugged, not really sure if that was such a good idea. "Mom doesn't like me hanging out with your friends, remember?"

"She doesn't have to know."

I looked across the room at Ross. "I won't tell her!" He urged, trying to get me to leave.

"Fine," I huffed, "let me get my coat and shoes on."

I ran upstairs to get my black Vans. Running back downstairs, I slipped on my black sweatshirt and followed John out of the house. We walked across the street in silence.

John approached the Nickelson's front door first. He knocked on it and rang the doorbell. After several moments of waiting, Mrs Nickelson opened the front door, smiling widely.

"Hello!"

Both John and I said hello to her.

"Garrett is downstairs with the rest of the guys. I'll be heading out."

"You always seem to be going somewhere Mrs. N." John commented.

"Oh," She shrugged, smiling. "I suppose thats true, but I'm a busy business woman! I've got things to do!"

"Do you have an event tonight, or something?" John asked.

"Yes, I do in fact. I should be heading out. Feel free to help yourself to anything." Mrs. Nickelson slipped on her coat and headed out of the house after waving to us.

John and I opened the basement door and headed downstairs. Soon, I was surrounded by a group of boys arguing over what movie to watch.

I rolled my eyes and shook my hear, letting out a small chuckle. I wrapped my arms around my legs where I sat on the couch. Garrett came over and plopped down next to me. He offered a warm smile, one that which I returned, butterflies fluttering and bouncing about in my stomach.

"Here!" John held up a black DVD.

"What is it?" Kennedy asked, grabbing it from him.

"Night of the living dead." His eyes grew wide with excitement.

I froze and discovered that I was already scared to watch it. Garrett noticed the way I stiffened and he took one look at me. "We don't have to watch it if you don't want to." He whispered in my ear while the boys weren't looking.

"No," I shook my head, practically shaking, "it's fine. I'll be fine."

Garrett stared at me blankly for a moment then snapped his head to the guys. "I don't really feel like watching that you guys."

"What? Garrett turning down a zombie movie? Is this possible?" Pat commented.

Garrett shrugged and smiled. "Not tonight."

John groaned, "Fine, how about we watch something funny."

I peered up at Garrett, feeling like I was glowing. It must have been obvious how much I admired him right now. He didn't even mentioned that I was the one who didn't want to watch it. Hell, he deciphered my lie and figured out that it was, in fact, a lie.

He knew me too well considering I had only been here for two months.

I watched the guys, besides Garrett, go threw piles and piles of DVDS. I then took notice to Jared here. Something was wrong. Whenever Jared was here, Darry was too.

I furrowed my brow and whispered to Garrett, "Where's Darry?" My eyes were still planted on Jared.

"Oh,um," Garrett scratched the back of his head. "you didn't hear?"

"No," My tone expressed how worried I was. "What happened?"

"They, uh, well, Jared and Darry broke up."

My jaw dropped and I snapped my head over to Garrett. "No, oh my god. Shit. You've got to be kidding me?" I asked.

Garrett closed his mouth and his lips formed a tight, thin line as he shook his head. "I wish I could say I am."

"What happened?"

"You're not going to believe this. I didn't even believe this."

"Tell me." I ordered, waiting anxiously. How the hell did I not find out about this?

"Darry cheated on Jared."

"What." It wasn't even a question. Not a statement either. It was shock, complete and utter shock mixed in with overall disappointment. How could Darry cheat on Jared? The sweetest boy I've ever met? How could she betray him like that? How come I'm only finding out about this now? I thought I was her best friend. I thought we promised to tell each other everything.

"I know."

It took me a minute to register everything. I shook my head and looked back up at Garrett. His expression matched mine. Sad, hopeless, nothing...

"With who?"

"This kid Richard. He's on the football team. None of us really know him very well. Despite that, I've always considered him to be one of the nicer kids on the team, but oh well...."

"Wow." I was speechless.

"I know."

I knew both Garrett and I were staring at Jared. Now that I knew what had happened, I could see the pain and sadness in his expression. He was clearly troubled and I knew I couldn't do anything about it.

Suddenly, anger built up inside of me.

"Why the fuck would she do that?"

My tone shocked Garrett and he stared at me with his eyebrows raised for a moment. "She never said anything to you, I'm assuming."

"Nothing. And get this, she gave me this whole spiel about how I could tell her everything because I could trust her. Complete bullshit. She couldn't even tell me her and her boyfriend broke up."

Garrett wrapped his arm around my shoulders and to my surprise, I wasn't surprise. It was kind of as if I expected it to happen. Sure, those damn bugs came back and flied about, but I wanted him to wrap his arm around me. It's as if he sensed it. He sensed that I needed comfort.

"Don't worry about it June. I'm sure she's still getting over it herself."

"Yeah.."I mumbled and shook my head.

The guys finally decided on some comedy movie. We watched and laughed, but that was really it. After the news Garrett told me I was in no mood to joke around or have a good time. I was to concerned with poor Jared in the corner, watching the movie with a frown.

We all fell asleep, which was kind of to be expected.

Well, everyone except Garrett and I. We were up and chatting away about our opinions on the breakup. I found myself yawning after awhile.

"You wanna go to bed? You look tired." Garrett said.

"I guess so."

By now the couch was completely covered by skinny bodies and hooded sweatshirts. I laughed at the sight, but tried to find a spot for me to slip in.

Suddenly, Garrett slid his hand into mine. "Here, come with me."

Garrett took the lead and led me upstairs. It was dark, so he couldn't see how red my cheeks were and how wide my eyes were. What was he planning?

John was going to kill us when we get up.

Oh well.

Garrett led me into his bedroom and flicked on the light which stung my eyes that were by now, prone to the darkness. "You can slide right into the bed. There's not enough room down there."

Oh. So he was leaving.

After moving into the bed I quickly sat up. "You're going back downstairs?"

Garrett shrugged. "Unless you want me to stay up here...."

"Yeah, I do." I offered a weak smile.

Without hesitation, Garrett flicked off the lights and slid in next to me. His arm instinctively snaked itself around my waist and pulled me in closer to him.

I inhaled the smell of his sheets and pillow cases. My favorite scent.

The thoughts of Darry and Jared, my mother freaking out, and overall John flipping a shit tomorrow morning vanished.

All that was important to me now was just the two of us.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)