Sequel: Forget It All

You're My Backbone

But She Knows She's In Love

I coughed loudly and groaned, rolling over in my bed. "I don't feel good, mom." I mumbled into my pillow.

"Oh dear," She commented sympathetically, and placed a hand on my head. "do you think you can make it to school."

I rolled over once again so I could face her properly. "Honestly," I made my voice sound scratchy on purpose and I coughed once more for evidence. "I don't think so."

She gave me a half hearted smile. "Alright June, you can stay home. I have to head off to work and you father already left."

"What? He left already?" My eyes popped open and I was a bit to enthusiastic to make my sickness sound real. I pushed out another fake cough.

"Yes. He'll be back later tonight, but not until after I get home at 6:30. So you'll be home alone all day, are you okay with that?"

I nodded my head.

"There's some cough medicine in the bathroom cabinet; the purple box."

"Okay, mom. Can I go back to sleep now?"

She smiled lightly and stroked my hair once more. "Yes. I'll see you tonight."

I nodded my head as she left the room and shut off my light. I snuggled back into my bed, smiling to myself. I was excited for today. Not only did I get to skip school and spend time with Garrett, but I was able to sleep late.

I heard John's car door slam soon after. I smiled once more. How nice this was.

About two hours later I decided it was an appropriately time to wake up. I turned on my cell phone before hopping in the shower. I kept my eyes on it awaiting the phone call from Garrett. After getting out of the shower, I straightened my hair and applied little mascara. I then slipped into grey skinny jeans, black converses, a black v-neck and a red hoodie since it was slightly chilly out.

I then waited some more.

I go the call while eating breakfast; cereal to be exact. I reached across the table to my phone to find a new text message from Garrett. He asked me to meet him outside. I quickly chewed the remaining food in my mouth then placed the dirty bowl in the kitchen sink.

Running outside, I noticed Garrett standing in the middle of the rode. My heart skipped several beats and to my luck, I remained breathing. A smile spread across my face and I ran towards him.

I stop short in front of the boy, smiling wide. "Hi."

"Hi." He replied, grinning just as wide as me.

"So, what are we doing?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Well, you will find out soon." He linked his arm through mine and escorted me to his car. I slid in the passenger side as he pushed the keys in the ignition.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yep." I nodded my head, watching him turn on his stereo system before backing out of the driveway.

Ryan Adams filled the car. For several minutes it was just his voice echoing out.

"You, uh, you look nic-pretty today." Garrett stuttered and remained looking out the front window.

I eyed my outfit carefully, cocking an eyebrow. I hadn't tried anything special, nor had any intention of looking pretty. "Um, thanks." I nodded my head, ignoring my thoughts. I noticed how red my cheeks were through the outside rear mirror. I swallowed hard and shook my head.

"How's the band been doing? I know I haven't been to the last few practices....." I trailed off.

Garrett smiled widely. "It's been going great. John's amazing. Thanks for telling me about him and well, helping me get him up there."

"Of course." I bit my lip.

Garrett chuckled. "Anyway, I think we have a couple new shows coming up within the next month at some local venues."

"Really?" I stared at him in awe. "That's fantastic!"

He nodded and laughed. "I know! We're all really excited and have been practicing like crazy."

"I could imagine. I'd be nervous as hell."

Garrett sighed. "Yeah, it is pretty nerve racking, but I think we've got it under control. I've got a lot of faith in this band."

I smiled, feeling almost proud of the boys. "It's your amazing bass skills; thats why you're so confident."

He chuckled. "Still think bass players are sexy?"

"I never said that!" I protested, letting out a loud laugh.

"You said you liked bass players! And the way that they move!"

I gasped loudly and chuckled. "No! You put those words into my mouth!"

Garrett stifled his smile and shook his head. "Oh no! I did not make up that part! That was all you, Miss!"

I huffed loudly, folded my arms over my chest and hit the back of my seat. "You're mean."

Garrett raised an eyebrow. "Am I?"

"Yes, you are."

He pursed his lips for a moment and thought. "Nah, I don't think so."

I shook my head with much exaggeration. "Now you're just not admitting it."

His jaw fell. "You said it!"

I sighed heavily. "I give up."

"That'a girl."

I rolled my eyes and started listening to his CD once again. I suddenly thought of something and laughed lightly to myself.

"What?" He asked, noticing and already smiling.

"Nothing."

"No! Tell me!"

"Fine," I chuckled. "you know how the first time I hang out with you guys we saw that zombie movie?"

"Yeah, and you were scared and told me that you hated scary movies."

I bit my lip as something warmed inside of me. He remembered that?

"Um, yeah, well you know how I said that I didn't think it was that scary at the end?"

"Yeah......"

"Well, I lied." I let out a laugh.

Garrett chuckled loudly. "What!?"

"I had nightmares about it for about the next two weeks. It was pretty bad."

His eyes grew wide. "Aw, I feel bad! I should have went outside with you."

"No its fine. I'm a big girl. I can deal with that kind of stuff."

"Apparently not!" He replied.

"Don't worry about me." I waved him off.

"How could I not worry about you?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Just don't."

"I don't think thats going to happen anytime soon."

The car fell silent once again. The only noise came from the rock path we were now driving on. I looked outside and cocked an eyebrow. "Uh, you're not taking me to woods to murder me, are you?" I asked.

"Nope. Not today."

I nodded my head. "Good to know."

We soon pulled out of the dark path and a large lake was exposed. "Oh my god." I commented, smiling.

Garrett grinned and parked the car. "Come on." He unlocked the door and shut off the car before hopping out.

I followed him the edge of the lake. I was thankful that I wore a hoodie. It was colder here. "What is this place?" I asked.

"My uncle used to take me here. Once, Pat came with us and we camped out. It was a lot of fun. Sometimes I come down here to just, relax."

I smiled and nodded my head. "I always wanted a place like that."

"Like what?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. Just a place that could be my own; where I could go when I needed a break."

Garrett smiled lightly. "Yeah, I suppose this is like that."

Garrett and I hoisted ourselves up onto his car's hood. I noticed the space between us closing. I stared wide-eyed at it, my heart pounding.

We stayed on the hood talking and staring out at the empty, deserted lake for about an hour. We laughed for a majority of the time, then talked about the music we liked.

I suddenly felt a small drop of liquid hit my nose. I reached up and touched it lightly.

Garrett reached over and touched my shoulder lightly.

His touch surprised me and in response, I accidently slid off the cars hood. Luckily, I caught myself. I laughed loudly and stared up at Garrett.

He smiled and slid off the car too. "It's raining." He announced.

"More like drizzling." I nodded my head.

He stared up at the sky for a moment and squinted his eyes. I looked up too and noticed the clouds turning grey. "Looks like a storm." I said.

Garrett shrugged. "No big deal."

"Yep."

It wasn't until then that I notice how close Garrett was standing to me. Out bodies were almost attached at this point. Something caught in my throat as I noticed Garrett's blue eyes on me.

His hand lightly and gently placed itself upon my cheek. My stomach was flipping; I was going to be sick.

He leaned in and at that moment, I forgot what was about to happen. Sure, I was still nervous, but I felt comfortable this close to him; I felt safe.

His ever so soft lips brushed up against mine gently and I immediately sunk right into them. I closed my eyes and let us become one.

He pulled away quickly, staring wide eyed and red in the face.

"You just kissed me." I stated the obvious. What the fuck? I felt like slapping myself.

He nodded his head. "I'm, uh, sorry."

I wanted to tell him it was okay. More than okay, in fact. Amazing. But I couldn't form the words.

Instead, Garrett said we should probably be getting home, so we got in the car.

The ride home was silent even with Ryan Adams playing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, right?
Not so quite. I've got much more planned! :)