Run Away

three.

Charli walked through the door to Phil’s hospital room the next morning, smiling as she saw him sitting on the side of the bed in a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt, running shoes already on his feet.

“Hey,” Phil said, a tired smile on his face, placing his baseball hat on top of his messy hair. His blues eyes looked extremely tired and dull and she knew that the night spent away was just as hard for him as it was for her.

“You ready to go? I just signed you out,” Charli explained, bending down to grab his small overnight duffel bag that they had packed.

Phil nodded and began to stand up. Charli quickly stopped his placing a hand on his head and slowly pushing him back down, “They’re coming with a wheelchair. The last thing we need is for you to rip your stitches.”

She leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to his lips, slowly breathing in and letting a smile stick to her face, “I missed not having you next to me last night.”

Phil pressed a light kiss on her plump lips and agreed, “I didn’t get very much sleep.”

The nurse walked in with the wheelchair, apologizing for interrupting their moment, and helped Phil sit down. Charli swung the duffel bag over her shoulder and they walked out of his hospital room at a leisurely pace.

“So I gave Phil all of the information he needs and all of his pain pills, they’re in his bag. Just read through it and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to call us,” She said, pushing the wheelchair outside to the front of the Hospital.

Charli thanked her, and helped Phil out of the wheelchair, explaining that she only parked about a hundred meters away. She wrapped Phil’s arm around her shoulder and walked slowly with him to the car.

After they were both settled comfortably in the car, Charli pulled out of the parking lot and turned the radio on.

“You feeling okay?” She asked him, placing her right hand on his thigh.

“Yeah, just… kinda sore. I feel about ten time worse than yesterday,” Phil explained.

Charli nodded, flicking on her blinker and turning onto one of the side streets near their condo, “I’m sorry babe. Once we get home we’ll just relax on the couch, okay?”

They pulled into the underground parking garage in their building and slowly exited the car, getting everything they needed and wrapping Phil’s arm around her shoulder once again.

They took the elevator up to their floor, unlocked the door and stumbled in together. Phil went right to the couch, where Charli had already placed his pillow and blanket and a few bottles of water and snacks on the table so they wouldn’t have to get up.

Charli pulled Phil’s pain medication out of the bag and brought it over to the couch, as well as the instructions. Phil was already lying down with his hat on the floor and his feet stretched out all the way across. Charli went to sit on the recliner next to him but stopped when he wrapped his large hand around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

“Lie next to me, there’s room,” he said, moving farther into the couch and patting the space next to him.

“I don’t want to hurt you though, I’ll just sit over there and let you relax,” Charli explained.

Phil let out a huff and pulled her a little harder, so she was standing directly in front of his face, his head level with her thighs, “Will you just lay down with me please?”

Charli rolled her and nodded, carefully sitting down on the couch and sliding in next to Phil, cuddling into his body, “I missed this last night. It was worse than you being away for a game for some reason.”

“Probably because I was less than ten minutes away and we still couldn’t cuddle.”

Charli turned around and pressed her lips to his cheek, wiping away the lip gloss that stayed, “Well we can cuddle now!”

Charli breathed in deeply, letting her head rest on his chest. She reached up and pulled the chain he always wore around his neck out, and twisted it around her fingers.

“I talked to my mom this morning,” Phil whispered, running his fingers through her hair and playing with the ends.

She nodded, “And what did she say?”

“She said how nervous you were. She had to keep texting you because she just knew you were shaking in the waiting room. She said you were more nervous than she was,” he said, looking up at the ceiling.

Charli shrugged, “I couldn’t help it; I love you.”

Phil closed his eyes as a grin attacked his face, “I love you too.”