May Angels Lead You In

Chapter 03

The room was filled with nothing but silence. The only thing that could be heard was the ticking sound of the clock by the corner of the room.

Headmaster Figins sat across the desk with a stern look on his face as he watched us with careful scrutiny. He had his arm supporting the weight of his head as he rested his arms by the armrest of the chair.

All of us sat in awkward silence - Gabriel tapping his foot with impatience.

Then Headmaster Figins sighed out loud and leaned forward, his eyes on Jimmy.

"This has been your third fight in school for this new semester," Headmaster Figins removed his round-framed glasses - the one like Harry Potter would wear - and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "If you keep this up, Mr Sullivan, I am afraid I would have to suspend you."

I snapped my head over to James with a look of horror, though he looked like he could care less. He was leaning against the chair with a slick attitude like nothing mattered at all. Gabriel gave a satisfied smirk but I wasn't to let him get away like that.

"And you Miss Evans," Headmaster Figins called out my name and I turned to him with wide eyes. "You've only been in the school for two days. I'm very disappointed in you."

I hung my head low not daring to look at him in the eye.

"She has nothing to do with this, Headmaster Figins," someone voiced out. "She was just trying to stop the fight."

I was surprised that those words have escaped from James's lips so I decided to add in my own words.

"Do not suspend James from school, Headmaster Figins! He was just standing up for me," I glared over at Gabriel who arched an eyebrow.

"He attacked me!" Gabriel insisted as he stood up and crossed his arms. "I think Sullivan deserves a suspension. I could've broken my arm!"

"- But you didn't," I whispered and Gabriel's head snapped towards my direction.

Headmaster Figins was resting his head with the support of his hands again, this time, he took his glasses from the table and placed it back into place.

"Detention," he concured and waved Gabriel off before the latter could utter a word. "All three of you would serve detention. You will assist Miss Chaney for the upcoming play in two months to come. Effective immediately."

"Two months?" Gabriel retorted, not believing his ears. "But Sir! I have practice four days a week on the exact month of the play before the Homecoming game. I can't afford to miss practice."

"My decision is final Mr Murdock," Headmaster Figins stood up. "And if any of you get into trouble again during the two months of detention, I will not hesitate to suspend any of you."

As soon as all of us stepped outside the Headmaster's room, Gabriel grabbed James by the shirt and hissed with threat, "This isn't over Sullivan."

James answered him with a small smirk as both guys glared at each other with hatred. "I'll be waiting for the punchline, Murdock."

Gabriel gave another hiss and shoved the other back before his eyes wandered over to mine. He then shook his head and left the office without another word.

I glanced over at James, who wore his Rayban aviator and glanced over at me.

"You shouldn't have butt in," his words caught me by surprise. "I was more than happy to get the suspension."

I decided to speak up for myself - hell, I already did so in the office. I might as well go all out.

"Why would you be happy with the suspension? You could get black-listed or something," I followed him out of the office.

I couldn't understand his cold attitude towards me.

"I honestly don't give a fuck," he answered but said nothing more.

"You wouldn't be able to get into college," I insisted.

He stopped curtly, causing me to bump into his lanky figure, before turning to face me. And for that one moment, I actually thought he would tell me to get lost or something.

Instead, a small smile crept up his face as he shook his head like a parent would to his child.

"In case you are too blind to see, I don't want to go to college," he started walking again.

"How can you be all nice to me one moment and then be a rude, self-centered jerk -"

Without a word or warning, James grabbed me by the shoulder and we both turned a full one-eighty - him taking my previous spot and I, his.

I couldn't comprehend the meaning of what he did.

But just a second later, I knew.

One of the cheerleaders had decided to throw another cold cup of slushie to me but James took the fall. A bit of the cold ice hit onto my skin but none of it could compare to James's icy wet shirt.

Everyone around started laughing at us and I looked up at Jimmy to see his lips pursed in a thin line.

I could feel him shaking from the cold since his hand was still on my shoulders.

"Are you okay?" I asked, reaching out to him but he stepped back away from me.

"I'll be fine," he shook his arms causing bits of ice to fly all around before he took off his wet aviators again.

"Just leave me the hell alone, okay!" he hissed as he turned and rushed down the hallway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Jimmy ): Does anyone know what would happen next? I'd like to hear your take on the story. Criticisms and praises are all welcome. Let's get the comments up to 16, can we? :D

BrittBratXKittKatt, blackandredbrittany, Undead Angel, Mandie & Rhi_LoveMeHateMe - Can I just say how awesome you guys are for the comments? :D Thank you so very much!