Status: on going

The Untold Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Chapter 2 Into the Hollow

We left off...
A few yards off to our right, we saw Earnest Hampton running for dear life and screaming, "Please God, no! Please!"

I had grabbed Ashley' hand and had turned to run when she let out a shriek....I turned back to see....
Following Earnest was the headless horseman.

"Go." I said lightly to Ashley, for I was in shock. The sun had not yet set and seeing the horseman galloping through the woods in light was horrifying...

The black beast upon which the horseman rode stopped and raised itself onto it's hind legs and gave out a loud roar; as if a demon were giving it voice. This had snapped me back into my body. "RUN!" I yelled and raced forward, clinging tightly to Ashley' hand. I looked back towards the horseman and saw him chase after Earnest. The direction Earnest was heading was getting far too close to where we were and I would not allow Ashley to be put in danger. Especially when she had protested earlier that we shouldn't go and I dragged her with me anyway.

I quickly changed the direction we were heading and ran towards the village at an angle, hoping that Earnest would steer clear of us.My plan seemed to be working; for we lost complete sight of Earnest...I couldn't even hear the horseman anymore.

"There!" shouted Ashley.

Looking ahead I saw the line of birch trees that marked the perimeter of the witch' seal, and relief washed over me. Once inside the line, we would be safe from the horseman and his red eyed demonic beast.

"Quickly now..." I pulled her onward towards the trees.

We reached the line at a sprint and didn't slow down until we were ten feet inside it. I let go of Ashley hand and leaned against a rock trying to catch my breath. I heard Ashley panting next to me; knowing she too was shocked and out of breath.

My mind was racing: I hadn't found the blue glowing flower from my dreams and it was the only thing that could save Samuel. How was it possible that the horseman was out while the sun was risen when, ever since anyone can remember, he has only come out at night? What was Earnest Hampton doing so far out in the woods so late in the evening?

My thoughts were interrupted by none other than Earnest himself; tossing himself into the boundaries of safety. He was a good three feet away from us but I could make out the beads of sweat on his brow....and he was sweating blood.

"Dear God..." Ashley whispered. She was getting ready to walk towards him when I grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

"No, wait. Listen." I had placed a finger to my lips. We could both hear the panting breath of Earnest but we could also hear the sounds of pounding hooves.

Earnest certainly heard it as well; he stood so quickly and held his breath. I found myself holding my breath too....waiting for....something...anything.....a sense of dread had placed itself upon all of us in that silence.

Suddenly...there was this faint sound...faint and then louder...as though it were drawing closer...I couldn't name what was making the sound...only that it sounded like it was something cutting through the air...

A look; Earnest Hampton turned and gave us both a look that was of both surprise and relief. It was the last thing he'd see...because the noise we'd heard was the horseman's blade spinning its way towards Earnest' throat.

Ashley was screaming; we were both covered in blood; Earnest's head had spun mid-air causing drops of his blood to spray upon us; my own scream accompanied Ashley's.

From there we ran to the village...we didn't stop running or screaming. We ran straight to our mothers who were bringing the laundry in from the clothes line.

"Victoria? What is it? What's wrong? What has gotten into you two?!" my mother had my face in her hands and was trying to calm me down so that I could speak. "What is this? ARE YOU COVERED IN BLOOD?! ARE YOU HURT?! VICTORIA SPEAK!"

I choked on my sobs and shook my head....I couldn't speak....I couldn't warn them...

"Speak my child please!!" Cried Ashley's mother.

"W-We sa-saw Earnest...Earnest his head...and this his blood.....the horseman!!!" Ashley was blubbering and it was hard to understand her.

"Horseman?!" our mothers cried in unison.

"You've been in the woods?!" shouted my mother now shaking me

"I won't stand for this any longer Hestia." Ashley's mother growled at mine. "Your daughter does nothing but summon that creature upon herself. And she drags my daughter down with her..."

"I can assure you this will never happen again...I too grow weary of your foolishness, Victoria." My mother had grabbed me by my wrists and was staring at me sternly.

Everyone had made their way out of their homes and were looking to see what all the screaming was about. "What's happened?" "Oh dear God, is that blood?" "It's Victoria again." "What is going on?" There was so much noise and we were being surrounded... I cried out and yanked myself away from my mother.

"The horseman killed Earnest Hampton!" I screamed for all to hear. My mother rushed forward to place a hand over my mouth. "Hush my child!"

"In broad daylight?!" "What nonsense!!" came cries from the crowd.

Ashley ran to my side and cried, "Tis true!! And Earnest had already crossed into the safety of the line!"

"LIES!!" "ARE WE NO LONGER SAFE DURING THE DAY?!" "WITCHCRAFT!" "THEY'RE BOTH COVERED IN BLOOD!!!" " "WHAT HAVE YOUR CHILDREN DONE TO ANGER THE HORSEMAN?!" Suddenly the masses rose up and there was eruption of shouting from everyone.

"No! We haven't done anything!" I cried. Ashley had grabbed my arm and was clinging out of terror.

"STOP THIS!" came a booming voice from the temple doors.

Everyone turned to look and there stood Reverend Marcus. "Leave these children be, I say!" he boomed.

I had never liked Reverend Marcus...not even now as he stood there ever the guardian angel.....

"Bring them to me...I shall get to the bottom of this matter. Everyone else shall return to your homes, for night is upon us!" and with that he turned and headed back into the temple.

I turned and looked to Ashley. Her face was tear stained and a bit dirty. It was my fault she was in this mess because of me...if speaking with Reverend Marcus would get her out of trouble...then I would do it.

I squeezed her hand once and we followed after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chap twooo people....Im sure at this point there's alot of questions but I promise it'll all make sense eventually...the line drawn by the witch...the fact tht the horseman doesnt come out in suuuun....the works!
I hope its ok....comments and questions!!! ya'll know what to do
Love, V