Immaculate Mess: His Rags Are My Riches

Chapter One

fuck this.

save me…someone save me…

Blood spills, bodies rot, never ending our time is gone.

I AM A MESS.

I wondered if anyone ever noticed my words on the brick under my bridge. I wondered if they saw my artwork. If they did, I doubted they would understand the beauty of my art and my words. They would assume it was the work of some dumbass teenager just out causing trouble.

Which, in a way, I guess I am; but I’m much older than most teenagers. I’ve seen and done things that most people my age, and even far older, couldn’t even comprehend.

“Hey, buddy, you wanna gimme your wallet?”

“Sure, man, but there’s nothing in it,” I replied, throwing the creepy homeless guy my empty wallet.

“Eh, fuck this,” the guy replied, tossing the wallet back to me and walking away. I continued to trek down the street, offering random passersby if I could help them for money.

“Excuse me, ma’am, would you like your house painted?” No, back off, hoodlum. “Hello, sir, is there anything I can do for you? I mow lawns for a very low rate.” Hell no, kid. Go to school and get a real job like the rest of us.

They never understand my life, why I don’t have a ‘real job’ or why I’m begging. The last job I got was a week before. Cat sitting. I should’ve known the woman was crazy to begin with, but she pulled me into her home filled with more cats than I could count and threw me on the couch. She ripped off her clothes and I could’ve thrown up with the amount of wrinkles covering her skin and the disgusting sag of her breasts. I almost lost my virginity that night but after a few minutes of being in the dusty home full of cats, my chest started to constrict and I managed to fight my way out before I died or worse, got molested by that monstrosity.

“Excuse me, sir, is there anything you need help with around the house? I do simple tasks for a low rate,” I offered a man walking down the street with what appeared to be his son, a boy who seemed around my age.

“No, thank you,” the man replied.

“But dad, we’re working on putting the new flooring down and we could use the extra hands,” the kid argued as his father tried pulling him away.

“Quiet, Frank, we can handle this ourselves,” his voice lowered in an attempt to keep me from hearing. I have better ears than it seems apparently, “besides, guys like them, they’re trash. They must’ve done something to land them on the streets because good people don’t end up like him. Keep walking.”

Sighing, I looked back at the man and his son who were quickly walking away. The kid, Frank, looked back at me with an apologetic look and continued to walk obediently alongside his father.