Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

The Start

It was the final game of the Stanley Cup finals. The final minutes.... that felt like hours. They were on their game, the Penguins that is. Sidney was out to injury, but the Pens held their own with their captain out.

I, Sierra, was on the bench. My wrist was wrapped from the sprain I suffered; my dark, shoulder length hair pulled back into a pony tail. Like the rest of the team, I was on edge. These last minutes were agonizing.

The final seconds. The two teams were battling it out by the Penguins net. I could see Fleury struggling, fighting with his life to keep the puck out of the net. My heart was beating so fast, it hurt. This is it... 

The horns rang throughout the arena. Everyone was yelling "Pittsburgh won! The Penguins won!" I couldn't move. The rest of the team was getting on the ice. I could see them all rushing and tackling Marc-Andre. The Penguins coach glanced at me, and smiled. 

The next thing I knew, I was on the ice, flying towards the group. Everyone was cheering and shouting. The Penguins were the champions, and damn did it feel good.

Someone had me in a huge bear hug; I didn't realize who it was. I was looking for Sidney, for my brother. I spotted him finally coming onto the ice, and I started to point and shout. Sidney yelled with the rest of the team, and then he grabbed the prize; The Stanley Cup. The cheers were wild, and I saw my family going crazy; of course they were there. 

Throughout the minutes, everyone had their hold on the Stanley Cup. It was the greatest moment. I grabbed my camera and I took pictures of the team with the Cup, pictures that would later be in newspapers all around the United States and Canada.

I was laughing and half choking in Sidney's grip when our parents and younger sister came up. We hugged them; or tackled them; you chose the type of words you'd like to use.

This was glory, this was what the Penguins had been fighting for; and they finally won it in the closest game I have ever experienced in my life.