Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

New Year's

After coming back from our Christmas break, we suffered three losses in a row. By that time I was ready to slam my stick into the wall, but I knew better.
I tried to clear my head, thinking of the New Year's party we were having tonight. Everyone was going to be there, so it should be fun.
But trying not to think about our previous games was hard, because I didn't know why we were losing. We seemed to be playing great, getting the puck to the net. But nothing was happening, and that is the worst feeling.
Jenna and I were working on the pastries we would be serving at the party, both of us fairly quiet. It was almost uncomfortable. I fingered my heart shaped locket and turned my thoughts over to Marc-Andre, smiling a little bit.
Jenna sighed and I turned to look at her as she finished making the canolies. "What is it?" I asked her, placing the cookies in the oven.
Jenna shrugged and I raised my eyebrow at her. "Sidney is being distant." She said, even though I already knew it.
I turned back to the counter to get the next batch ready. "Don't worry about him." I said. "It is realy hard losing these games when we should be winning. He normally withdrawls like this because he tries to figure out what is wrong. He tends to get analytical when things happen like this." I explained to her and she nodded. "That is also why Marc-Andre and TK took him out for the day, so he can relax."
"Oh." Jenna said, and I could tell she was feeling better. "Ok, then." She started working on the New Year's cupcakes that just came out of the oven. She was putting the frosting on.
I finished preparing the next batch of cookies and wrote on a sheet of paper the time I put them in the oven. "Hey, Sierra?" Jenna asked and I turned to look at her.
"Yes?" I asked her, and then sneezed into my arm.
Jenna chuckled. "Looks like someone is talking about you." She said, smiling playfully.
I smiled back at her. "Well, let's hope they are talking about me in good ways." I said, and we both laughed. "So, what was it you wanted to say?" I asked her.
She licked her finger that had icing on it and turned to me. "I know is has only been a half a year, but," She hesitated and I raised my eyesbrows to tell her to go on. "But, do you feel like that Marc-Andre is The One?"
I understood what she meant immediately, and I turned away from her, blushing. "Well, umm, I don't know. I mean... I haven't been with him all that long." I kept stumbling over my words and she smiled.
"Oh come on Erra. We went through this all through our childhood. You know that we would know if so." Jenna said and I stared at her.
I focused my hands on the cookie dough. "That was just from a movie." I muttered and she sighed.
"Sierra, please. You know what your heart is telling you, so listen to it." She told me and I looked into her brown eyes.
"Do you feel as if Sidney is The One for you?" I questioned her, really not wanting to answer it myself.
Jenna raised her chin confidently. "Yes, I do. I have since Junior High." She said and I sighed, knowing I had to answer now.
I lowered my eyes to the cookie dough and started placing them on the tray. "Yes." I said in a soft and quiet voice. "I do. But I feel as if it is too soon to think so. Sure, I've known him for four years, and I've liked him through the majority of it, but I've only been dating him for half a year."
Jenna snorted but she wore the biggest smile as she took the cookies out of the oven that were ready. "Please, that is no excuse." She said. "I've been dating your brother less than you and your Frenchman have been dating."
I gave her a look of doubt. "You've known him since elementary and you've liked him since middle school." I said to her.
"Yeah, and you've liked Marc-Andre for the majority of your years knowing him." She backfired.
"You've known and liked Sidney much longer, you had chances to get over him, but you never did." I retorted.
"And you have had even more chances to get over him. Everyone knows that a lot of the players have tried to put the moves on you." She smirked, knowing she has pretty much won.
I groaned and tossed the dirty dishes in the sink. "You are impossible." I mumbled as she patted my back.
"My friend, you are in love and you know that you want to be with Marc-y forever." She said, almost as if she was mocking me.
I turned and looked at her, squinting my eyes. "Marc-y?" I questioned at the new nickname she just gave him. We both started to laugh. "Yeah, whatever." I said, directing back to what she said.
Jenna shrugged. "You'll see within time, that he feels the same way." She said.
I threw some flour at her and she gasped, glaring at me while smiling. "What are you? The love therapist?" I asked, starting to run away from her as she chased me around the house with flour in hand.
I jumped over the side table and laughed as I slammed into the corner of the wall. She threw flour and it got on my back. "Oh no you didn't! Marc-Andre gave me this shirt!" I yelled, starting to chase her around.
We were messing around so much, we didn't hear the door open. "Woah." Tyler said when he saw the two of us, covered in flour, chasing each other around the house.
Jenna and I halted, looking towards the door where Tyler, Marc-Andre, and Sidney stood, jaws slighty dropped and looking at us. Jenna and I looked at each other and started to laugh.
"Your girlfriends are very interesting." Tyler said, walking through the door.
"Oh, you know you love us." I said to him, blowing an air kiss to Marc-Andre since I know if I tried to kiss him, he would get covered in flour.
Tyler shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not." He smiled and Jenna and I met eyes, smiling evily.
"Uh oh." Sidney said, starting to bolt back out the door. Jenna and I made chase, following him out into the cold winters day, barefoot across the snow.
We cornered him and piled flour on top of him, the three of us laughing our heads off with Marc-Andre and TK coming too. Everyone was eventually laughing.
I curled my bare toes. "I'm going to give myself frost bite." I said, shivering.
Marc-Andre came up behind my flour covered self and lifted me into his arms. "Now, that would not be good." He said, smiling and kissing my flour covered lips.
Sidney grabbed Jenna and she squealed. "Everyone is coming over soon, we best get cleaned up." He said, laughing and leading us into the house. Well, he definitely broke out of his distant shell.
Marc-Andre took me into the bathroom and started running the hot water as I looked at myself in the mirror. "I look like a ghost." I said, chuckling at myself.
Marc came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my belly, kissing where my neck meets my shoulder. "You are the most beautiful ghost I have ever seen." He said quietly and I giggled shyly. "I shall leave you to unthaw yourself and clean yourself up." He said softly, smiling at me.
I reached up and kissed him softly, feeling his hand on the small of my back. "I suppose racing out in the snow with nothing on my feet and wearing shorts and a t-shirt was not one of my best ideas." I said, making us both chuckle.
Marc-Andre started to pull away. "No, I would say not. I would be devistated if my girl got sick, or frost bite, or froze." He said softly, kissing my forehead along my scar. "Now get cleaned up before everyone arrive. I'll set your clothes on the sink." He said, leaving and closing the door behind him.
I undressed and placed my frozen body in the hot water filled tub. It stung at first, but as I lowered myself into it, it felt good. The bubbles just about covered me though, and kept making me sneeze.
Marc-Andre opened the door and stepped through as I leaned back into the tub, bubbles covering me up to my nose. He placed my clothes that I was wearing for the party on the sink. I smiled my thanks to him as he left again.
I quickly washed my hair and got out of the tub, drying myself off quickly. I dressed in black dress pants, a lot like Thanksgiving, and I put on a really pretty red shirt that had a deep V-neck with a design around the neck. I wore a black cami underneath it. I don't like showing clevage. It makes me uncomfortable.
I opened the door as Jenna knocked, wanting my hair dryer. I cleaned my glasses and put on a subtle eyeshadow and a soft pink lipgloss and put my glasses on, as Jenna dried my hair.
"Some of the guys are already here." She said as I put some makeup on her. We make a great tag team.
"Ok, any of the married ones?" I asked her, because I knew they would bring their wives.
She shook her head and I was finished with her makeup, or the little she used. We both didn't like to wear a lot of makeup. "Nope, not yet. They probably have to get the kids situated." She said, turning off the hairdryer.
I nodded and we both ran to my room. I slipped on my socks and headed out to the living room, my hair wavy since Jenna dried it and the curls didn't have time to form.
Jenna and I said hello to everyone and I was tucked under Marc's arm, resting against him as everyone came in.
We all talked and ate as we waited for the countdown. We had the TV on to the New York New Year's special.
I was curled up against Marc-Andre when Billy's wife came over. I smiled at her and she sat down in a chair by the couch we were on.
"So how are you guys?" She asked, sipping the tea Jenna probably made. "You seem to be very close to each other." She smiled.
Marc-Andre chuckled. "We are great." He said, kissing the top of my head, which made me smile. "And we are very close."
She nodded. "I don't think I ever got the chance to say this, but I am happy for you two. You really are great for each other." She said, smiling at Max who was walking by.
"Thank you." I said to her, watching as Max placed a fake cockroach on Jordan's head, who freaked out when we was told that a cockroach was on his head. I sighed.
"I know that this isn't my business or anything," She started and I sipped at my sparkling cranberry juice. "But have you two talk around your future with each other, like marriage and children?"
I spit out my drink and started coughing. Marc-Andre wrapped his arms around me and Mark came over, wondering what was going on.
He was shooed away to grab paper towel as I regained control of myself, but I didn't trust myself to speak.
Billy's wife was clearly uncomfortable as she knew she asked something she shouldn't have. Marc-Andre answered her question anyways. "No, we have not. We haven't been dating all that long, so I don't feel like we need to talk about that right now." He said and I nodded in agreement. "We are just enjoying being together for now, and we will discuss all of that when the time comes." I'd like to know how he can keep so calm, but that is my Marc for you.
Before anything else could be said, Sidney shouted that the countdown was starting, and we all rushed over.
We counted down from the 60 seconds. We all got louder as the final 5 seconds went down. "5...4...3...2...1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Everyone yelled.
Marc-Andre pulled my into a deep kiss, holding me tightly against him; just like most of the other couples were doing. We then hugged everyone else, laughing as we enter the new decade.
Max and Jordan set off all the streamers and we just laughed beneath them. Marc-Andre wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his chest as he placed his chin on my head. We swayed as everyone cheered and I closed my eyes, knowing I was started the new year, the new decade, with the man I loved.