Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Can I Please Get A Break?

Marc and I eventually made our way inside, and Sidney and Jenna came home while I was washing the dishes and Marc was drying them. I purposely wrapped my left hand around the handle of the pot I was washing so they wouldn’t be able to see my finger if they happened to look down.
Marc-Andre was chuckling at me and I shot him a look that we both busted out laughing at when Sid and Jenna walked in the kitchen.
“Why, hello there. You two seem awfully happy.” Sidney said, raising an eyebrow curiously.
I pretended to think about it for a second. “Mmm, maybe.” Marc and I exchanged a look and we tried not to laugh again.
Jenna leaned against the counter, head cocked to the side. “Well, are you going to tell us what the hell is up with you two? If you don’t, I’m going to start getting worried and assumptions are going to go through my head.” She said. I think I knew what her “assumptions” would have been. And she was probably already thinking them.
“Oh, nothing.” I said in a sing song voice.
Marc chuckled next to me. “We just did a bit of celebrating, that’s why we are so happy.”
Two pairs of eyebrow rose in unison. “Not like that, you idiots.” I grumbled and everyone started to laugh.
“Well, what were you celebrating then?” Sidney asked, wrapping his arm around Jenna’s hip and holding her close.
I passed that pot to Marc. “Just this.” I stated, revealing my left hand and holding it up for them to see.
Jenna looked like she was going to faint. “Oh, my GOD!” She squealed and immediately tackled me and I hugged her back happily. “Oh, my God! You are engaged! This is amazing! I’m so happy for you two!” She hugged Marc-Andre too.
Sidney pulled me against him. “It’s about time.” He laughed and I noticed that Marc blushed.
“Now, now,” I said softly. “Leave him be.”
“He asked for my permission over a month ago.”
“Was that really necessary to tell?” Marc-Andre muttered, blushing brightly.
I giggled and kissed his cheek. “And is this why my father was so keen that you called him by his first name?”
Marc nodded. “Oui.” He whispered, his lips meeting mine gently.
Jenna cracked open the fridge and grabbed a champagne bottle. “Well, what are we waiting for?” She asked, popping it open. “Let’s celebrate!”

A few days later, I found myself packing for a last minute decision that I was going to Las Vegas for the NHL Awards. I was originally going to go to Quebec with Marc-Andre and then meet up with everyone in Thunder Bay for the Staal’s annual beach party thing that lasted a week, but last night, Jordan called me saying that his date got really sick and can’t fly to Vegas and he begged me to come with him.
I just can’t say no to that kid.
So now, I’m packing for Vegas and Thunder Bay instead of Quebec and I have until 5 o’clock tonight to get a dress.
And I had to drop Marc-Andre off at the airport in an hour.
Damn…
My phone went off and I had to do a 360 of my room to find it since it was buried under my things. Marc was already packed so it was only my crap that was everywhere. And I do mean everywhere…
“Hello?” I answered, grabbing my cell phone charger and sticking it in my carry-on bag.
Matt Cooke’s voice answered on the other line. “Erra!” He sounded excited.
Cookie calling me definitely caught me by surprise. Maybe I should have checked the caller ID. “Cookie?” I blinked. “Hey, what’s going on?
“Not a whole lot. I just wanted to tell you that you’re going to be stuck with me for the next three years.”
I stood up straight, my breath caught in my throat. “You’re coming back?” I almost shrieked.
I could picture Cookie’s grin with his missing tooth. “Yup. We came to a 3-year deal.” I yelled happily and then called for my brother and fiancé in French. “Woah, Er-bear, speak English sweetheart. I may be Canadian but I definitely don’t know French.”
I chuckled. “I’m sorry; I was just calling for Marc and Sid.” They entered the room just as I said their names.
“What’s going on?” They asked together and I put my phone on speaker so everyone could hear each other.
I giggled happily as Cookie told them. “You kids are going to be stuck with me for another three years.”
Marc’s dark eyes widened and a smile spread across his face. Sidney gawked. “Really?” He didn’t sound like much of a captain there.
“You Crosby’s just can’t believe things the first time you hear them can you?” Matt chuckled and I blushed slightly at that. It sure seemed that way.
“That’s excellent, Cookie.” Marc-Andre grinned even though Matt couldn’t see.
A laugh came from the other line. “Thank you, Flower.”
“Any news on Sarge?” I asked, biting my lip slightly. Marc’s hand squeezed mine and I eased off the biting.
“No. I’m honestly not getting a good vibe from it, Kiddos.” Cookie replied. “They’ve been talking for a long time, and I originally thought they would come to an agreement before I talked with Shero.”
My shoulders drooped and Marc held me close. “Well, there is still plenty of time left.” Sidney said positively. He was great at that. I think its one thing that has made him such a good Captain.
“Very true.” Cookie replied. “Well, that’s all the news from my end.” He said, and I could hear his son in the background.
Sidney chuckled. “But not on our end.”
I shot my brother a look. “Sidney!” I whacked his arm.
I could picture Cookie looking at us like we were crazy. “What do you mean?”
“Tell him.” Sid said.
I sighed, but Marc was the one who told him. “I proposed to Sierra the other night.” He said, his voice filling with love. I smiled up at him.
“No way! That’s awesome! It’s about time.” Cookie said with a laugh on the other line.
“We are getting a lot of that.” I muttered and Sid laughed. “Don’t you have some packing to do? Please tell me that my best friend is not doing it for you.”
Sidney blushed. “Umm, bye Cooke.”
“Later, Kid.” Cookie replied. I took him off of speaker phone as Marc-Andre left me to finish packing myself. “So what do you have going on? Are you heading to Quebec soon or waiting until after you go to Staalsy’s?”
I sighed. “Marc is going to Quebec; I’m going to Vegas.”
“Vegas? I thought Sid was taking Jenna.”
I went into the bathroom to grab my face stuff to pack. “He is. I’m going as Jordan’s ‘date’. He called me, literally twenty minutes ago. He already paid for my ticket on Jenna and Sidney’s flight so I couldn’t exactly say no to him. And I have until five to find a damn dress to match his damn tie because our flight out is at six.”
Cookie chuckled. “Sounds like fun. Honestly though, Er-bear, you’ll have fun.”
“I know.” I smiled slightly. “I went with Sid in his rookie year.”
“Ah, yes. I remember that. Well, I’ll let you go so you can go buy your dress. I’ll be watching the Awards.”
I grinned. “I know you will be. Thanks, Cookie. Talk to you later.”
“Bye, kid.”
“Bye.”
I hung up and quickly finished packing up my things. I looked at my phone to make sure that I still had the picture of Jordan’s tie that he sent me so I could match him.
“You’re heels?” Marc asked from the doorway.
I jumped and turned away, smiling softly as my eyes settled on him. “I packed them.”
Marc-Andre strolled over and took me into his arms. “I’m going to miss you. A whole week without you; what am I going to do?”
I stretched up on my toes and kissed him softly. I smiled as he returned it. “You’ll be fine. You’ll be with your family and we will still talk every night.”
“I know.” He replied with a smile, kissing my forehead. “Send me a picture of the dress you pick out when you get it.”
“I will, baby.” I whispered, resting my head on his chest.
His lips touched the top of my head softly and spoke in French. “Let’s get going, love. I need to get to the airport and the sooner you drop me off, the sooner you can go get your dress. And if I know you like I do, you are going to need all the time you can get.”
I laughed and smacked his chest playfully. He chuckled. “That’s not fair! Even though I’m a hockey player, I’m still a woman!”
Marc chuckled again. “I know sweetie. That’s what I’m getting at. You are so indecisive when it comes to clothes. You’re my little fashionista.”
A small giggle escaped my mouth. “I could get used to that title.”
Marc kissed me again. “Good, because you really do have a great fashion sense, my darling.”
“Ok, what do you want?” I laughed.
He laughed with me. “I don’t want anything, Sierra. I have everything I want. You, and soon to be your hand in marriage.” He kissed my ring finger softly and I blushed. “Now come, my beauty. Let’s get going.”
I nodded and helped him with his things to pile into my car. We got in and were on the road to the airport before I knew it.
“On the road again!” I sang loudly, causing Marc-Andre to laugh next to me.
I was really going to miss him this next week.