Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Surviving

“Sierra!”
I looked up from my book at Marc-Andre’s voice. I was upstairs in our room, curled up in a chair that was by the window, and he was downstairs watching TV. He was relaxing after our practice after winning last night against the Devils, and the HBO shoot was today too. “What?”
“Come here!”
I sighed and put my bookmark in, getting up from me seat. Aislinn meowed in displeasure before waltzing off while I went downstairs. “What?” I asked again, pushing my glasses up on my nose. My eyes were bothering me so I wasn’t wearing my contacts.
Marc patted his lap and I took my seat. His arms wrapped around me while turning up the volume. I realized that Emelie was on TV. I watched silently.
Her speech went by quickly, and I was sort of spacing out, until she directed it at me. “And Sierra, I truly am sorry. I think we need to talk in person, rather than me advertising this over national television. You deserve that much.”
I stared blankly at the TV as the program was finished and the news came on. Marc kissed my shoulder, and I was aware that I was holding in my breath. So I let it out.
“Erra, ma amour?” He asked quietly. It was obvious he was trying to not say anything that would set me off. I am better by each day, but still a little emotional. I’m getting there though, but he doesn’t want me to reset.
“I’m ok,” I answered, realizing that I was actually being honest. “I just... I don’t know.”
I felt his lips on the back of my head. “Sierra, listen to yourself,” he said in a soft French. “You don’t own her. She made a mistake, that’s all. Yes, Sidney is going to propose to Jenna, but again, it was only a mistake. She knows she shouldn’t have done it. You don’t own either of them.”
I licked my lips and focused on my socks. They were red and green for Christmas. “I know... but she likes Max. It’s always been obvious! And Max is in love with her.” I felt the curiosity in Marc’s body. “He told me.”
“She’s still a big girl with her own decisions.”
I rubbed my eye. “I guess what’s really bothering me is that she’s so confused and she just kissed him with no real reason. He’s my brother, Marc. I protect my twin.”
“I know, sweetheart, but you can’t control everything, as much as you want to. You need to stop trying to control everything. That’s what got you in this mess in the first place.”
“You mean my breakdown?”
“Oui.”
I sighed heavily and Marc’s grip tightened around my waist. I leaned into him, my head on his chest, and he stroked my belly with his thumb. It felt nice and comforting.
“She’s your friend, Sierra. Don’t let one mistake ruin your friendship. Listen to her, and if her apology is as sincere as I’m sure it will be, then forgive her.”
I nodded a bit and brought my knees up to my chest so my whole body was in my fiance’s lap. “Ok.”
Marc’s lips rested on my head for a long moment before changing the subject. “We face the Maple Leafs tomorrow. That means we get to see Army.”
A smile formed on my face. “I miss Colby. Think we will be able to go out at some point before or after the game?”
“Are you sure you will feel up to it, sweetheart?”
I nodded. “I want to see Colby.”
Marc chuckled and kissed my cheek. He spoke back to me in English this time. “Then I will call him later. But, how about we work on some more of the Christmas decorations. The tree is up, and I got all the outdoor decorations up. But we’re missing some of the usual Sierra touch in here.”
I giggled a bit, and Marc shifted my body in his lap. “Ok. All the boxes are in the living room, right?” I asked, also going back to English.
Marc nodded and I stood up carefully. “And try to talk to Em before we hit the ice tomorrow. I don’t need to watch you giving her the look like you’ve been doing at practice.”
“I can’t promise anything,” I mumbled, getting a look from my fiance. “What? I’m being honest.”
Marc flashed a wicked grin and I yelped in surprise when his hand made contact with my ass. “Then go be honest elsewhere,” he joked, laughing at my reaction.
As much as I wanted to be mad at him for smacking my butt, I couldn’t help but laugh along with him. “You’re such a jerk sometimes.”
He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my collar bone, getting a slight blush out of me. “Only because I love you so much.”
I smiled and pushed him away. “If you love me so much, you get to help me.”
Marc-Andre pretended to moan as I tugged on his wrist and pulled him to where the boxes awaited us. We immediately got to work, playing as well as actually working.
We got the two small trees up on either side of the fire place, as well as got all the garland on all the railings before I brought up a question that’s been on my mind for a while now. “Marc, what would you say if I wanted to get a dog?”
Marc paused from putting the lights on top of the bookshelves in the living room. “I would say ‘why’?”
I fixed the Christmas candle center piece on the coffee table. “Because I’m retiring, and starting next year I won’t be going on the road trips. I don’t want to be alone.”
Marc got off of the chair he was standing on and came over to me. His arms wrapped around my hips and pulled my body into his. “You could come with us. You will be our AT, but you decided you only want to be AT here at home, which is fine.” A smile appeared on his lips. God, I loved his smile so much. “And I would say, let’s get a dog.”
A grin appeared on my face as I stared up at the man I loved. “Really?” I knew he loved dogs, but I didn’t know if he actually would want one.
He laughed and picked me up. I wrapped my legs around my waist and stared at him at eye level. “Of course, my sweet. I would like a dog. But I don’t think your cat will like it too much.”
I looked over at my cat, who was pawing at one of the candles that I just fixed up. “Maybe it’ll keep her from doing bad things,” I mumbled, getting a laugh out of Marc. “I’m sure she will be fine. She’s getting to be an old girl anyways.”
Marc chuckled and I kissed him, just as the doorbell rang.
I pouted as Marc let go of my legs so my legs dropped to the floor. I sneezed, which made Marc laugh as he went to the front door to answer it.
I finished pulling out some of the last decorations that needed to be put out, including my favorite little city that I needed to set up on the table in the foyer. I gathered this city pretty much since I was five, and every Christmas I always got a new piece for it from my mother.
A smiled as I opened the box to see all the pieces of it, and then closed it again while pushing it with my leg to set it out in the foyer. I couldn’t hear the voices at the door, so I decided it was better not to listen.
Until I pushed the box into the hall and towards the foyer.
I recognized the voice all too well.
“Please, Flower, let me talk to her,” the voice begged in French.
I was able to hears Marc’s sigh from here. “Emelie, I know you want to make things right. She does too. But she needs time to become her old self. She’s getting there, but it’s taking time. I’m afraid she will lose it if she isn’t better when you talk to her.”
Emelie’s voice was high, almost as if she was panicked. “Please, Flower~”
Marc broke her off, and I leaned against the wall, eavesdropping. “Em, I don’t know what you will say to her, but I don’t want you guys to have your friendship go into crumbled. The only reason she’s so mad is because she cares so much about you and Sidney. She hates seeing you being so self-destructive.”
I could see Emelie from a mirror that I had hung up on the wall. She was hanging her head, and Marc has his arms crossed so she would realize he wasn’t backing down. “I only want to apologize...”
Marc’s voice softened. “I know. You don’t realize how much she cares for you. She’s furious that you did take advantage of Sid. And don’t lie, you know you did.” Her shoulders dropped. “But she’s more mad that you’re hurting yourself even more by doing this.”
Emelie nodded a bit and looked up at my fiance. “Tomorrow?”
“Before the games against the Leafs? Yes.”
I saw her nod before backing out the front door. “Bye, then.”
“Take care of yourself,” Marc said in English to her before closing the door. “Sierra Rose, get out here.”
I blushed, knowing I was caught eavesdropping, and walked through the hall towards my fiance, who was giving me a stern look. “I’m sorry,” I mumbled, a little flustered.
Marc stepped forward and lifted my chin with his finger. “This is why I won’t let you talk to her quite yet,” he said, making me confused. “You’re angry at me right now for no reason. You still aren’t yourself. As much as I want you to talk to her, I need you more like yourself before you do.”
My body language clearly showed how ashamed I was, but Marc only pulled me into a gentle hug. “Je t’aime, Sierra. I’m not upset with you.”
“Ok. Je t’aime aussi,” I whispered quietly back.
“Let’s get back to decorating, oui?” He smiled gently.
I nodded and he took my hand, pulling me along with him. Sometimes I don’t think I deserve this man. He’s so patient, and I’m so not. He’s just perfect, and I’m far from it.
But I’m so glad he’s in my life. I wouldn’t survive without him.