Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

The Drama Never Ends

I’m finally practicing again. We had Sunday off, but I still came in and I was cleared to practice. I can’t play yet, but at least it’s a step forward.
Although, my twin brother still isn’t feeling better. He wakes up feeling horrible, then gets better, only to feel worse a couple hours later. He’s miserable, but I think Jenna is helping to keep him sane. Thankfully.
“SKATE SIERRA! GO GO GO GO GO!”
We were doing drills skating from one end of the ice, all the way to the other, and since I haven’t been on the ice in a while, I’m sore, and slow, and apparently, not good enough for Dan. Then again, he always pushes us no matter what.
“SKATE!”
I pushed myself harder, only to trip over myself and go sliding across the ice on my belly like a Penguin. Jordan was skating next to me and had to jump over my sliding body while Emelie came to a snowy stop beside me as I pushed myself up on all four. “Coach! Take it easy on her. She just came back from a concussion.”
“She was cleared by the doctors, that means she’s fine.”
True. Coach would never put any single one of us in any danger. And I knew that. It was just my slow legs from being out for a while.
I rested my arm on Emelie as she crouched down next to me. “I’m fine,” I said to her, only getting a harsh glare from her that made me roll my eyes.
Jordan slipped his arms under my armpits and pulled me to my feet. “You ok?” he asked as Dan ordered everyone to take five.
“Yeah, I’m fine. Just need to get my legs back, you know?”
“I know all too well,” he laughed, making me smile.
Marc glided up to me and put his glove hand on my helmet. “You good?” he asked with a playful smile.
I laughed. “You know it. Nothing like sliding around like our mascot.” That got laughs from everyone around me.
“Nice face plant,” Tanger said as he skated by, earning himself a wonderful middle finger that made him fall on his butt from laughing.
Just as I intended.
“Nice butt plant,” I teased, skating by him, only to have him grab my ankle and pull him down on top of him as punishment. He rolled over so his heavy body was squishing me, causing me to squeal and thrash about. “Kristopher Letang! Get your heavy ass off of me or so help me you’ll be waking up tomorrow morning in a hospital!”
All of the guys starting making oo and ahh sounds while cracking up over us, and Tanger actually listened to me.
I’m not to be messed with. I mean that.
Tanger laughed and patted my head. “You win.”
“I always do,” I said, smirking, as I got on my feet.
Even Coach was laughing at us. What can I say, I can be a comedian sometimes. And Marc takes up for whatever comedy I lack.
We finished practice and I was the first in the locker room, examining the damage from the work out. I have a small bruise on my chin from slamming my face into the ice, but other than that, I’m just extremely sore.
I was walking around in my usual white spaghetti strap and black booty shorts that I wear under my gear when Emelie came in, the second to always make it into the locker room. Ladies first. “Yo,” she said, peeling off the gear.”
I laughed at her. “What the hell are you wearing under your gear?” I asked, noticing the lace on her legs.
Emelie looked down and scowled. “I lost a bet with Jordan. I can’t get out of it until he sees that I’m wearing this shit.”
I shook my head and laughed, grabbing my towel to head to the showers. “That’s what you get for betting with that boy. Somehow, he always wins.”
“I learned that the hard way,” she murmured, plopping down in her stall. “So when are we dress shopping? You gotta hurry so you get the dress in time.”
“Later,” I shrugged, earning myself a look. “I’m busy. We have to start setting up for that charity event that’s a part of Mario’s charity.”
Emelie looked like a light bulb went off in her head. “Oh! You’re doing it right?”
I nodded. Mario is planning a party like thing for his charity. And I’m the main entertainment. He’s going to get one of the hotel’s in Pittsburgh to host us, and I will be singing whatever the crowd wants. They must pay five bucks to get in, which Sidney says is not enough for my, I quote, ‘exquisite voice that can sing absolutely anything’, and they can put a song on a piece of paper. It’ll happen during that week break at the end of the month, just before the Allstar game. I’m excited. I haven’t really ever had the chance to sing in public except for small gatherings.
“That’s so cool,” Emelie said with a smile. “Marc and Jordan are the doormen, right?”
“Yes, and everyone else are going to be going around with drinks for the crowd. Apparently the event is up on the website, so I’m assuming that there might be a lot of people.”
“You aren’t scared?”
I scoffed. “I’m a hockey player. The public doesn’t scare me.”
“Touche best friend,” Em said with a loud laugh as everyone started piling into the locker room. “Now, if you would excuse me, I need to suck up to Jordan so I can get out of these slutty things.”
“Don’t bet with my kid again,” I said, getting a huge grin in response.
Yes, I call Jordan my kid. He’s more like my little brother, but still.
I wandered into the showers, taking a quick one, before coming out in my street clothes with my hair up in a towel.
“Sierra,” Max’s voice said from behind me, and before I could respond, he grabbed my arm and was tugging me back to the shower area.
I gasped and watched him look around to make sure no one else was there. “Do you have to be so rough? I’m already a mess,” I growled, taking a look at my arm.
“I apologize,” he said in French, turning to face me. “But I needed to get you alone before anyone noticed.
I narrowed my eyes and took a good look at my good friend. His eyes were slightly puffy and red with dark circles under them. He looked a little gaunt. “Maxime, what’s wrong?” I asked, suddenly becoming very worried. He hasn’t been acting like anything wrong. I mean, his playing hasn’t suffered, but obviously, there is something bothering him.
Max collapsed to the ground with his back against the wall. I started at the movement, and quickly moved to his side, just as he took my hand in his. “Can I stay with you and Flower for a few days?” he asked, his voice distant.
My eyebrows furrowed slightly in worry. “Of course, but, why?”
One look in his eyes told me all that I needed to know.
“Oh, God, Max!” I wrapped my arms around him tightly, and he curved his body so he could snuggle into me as if he was a small child. “Things are that bad between you two?”
I felt Max nod as he clutched onto me. “I love her, Erra,” he said quietly, his voice quivering. “Every time I see her, I want to run to her and just hold her. But she won’t accept me. She won’t accept that I love her.”
“She’s just scared, Max,” I said gently, stroking his dark hair. “She’s pushing back any feelings because she’s scared. Just give her time, ok?”
“I can’t be around her. It makes my heart hurt just seeing her. I can put up with it here, but I live with her.”
His voice trailed off and I kissed his temple. “You can stay with us. I’ll talk to Marc.”
“Merci,” he said miserably.
“De rien.” I stood and pulled him to his feet, wiping his eyes. “Go shower. It’ll help take some of the redness from your eyes.”
He nodded and I stepped out of the shower area, just as Emelie pushed her way in. But I grabbed her arm and kept her back. She looked at me curiously, but when I looked deep enough, deeper than I normally would, I could see the sorrow deep in her soul. She was hiding it, and hiding it well.
“What?” she said, looking concerned because I didn’t answer. I was too focused on reading her eyes.
I shook my head. “Umm, just, don’t go in there yet. Ok?” I said, hoping she would get what I mean.
And she did. Her gaze saddened, but she recovered quickly, and I knew better than to mention it. “Oh, umm, yeah. Ok,” she replied, and turned on her heels to walk away.
But I knew better. It was hurting her just as much as it was hurting Max. She is just better at hiding it.
I sighed. The drama never ends.