Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Tears To Shed

“I’m going to take him to the airport.”
Marc looked at me and kissed my hair. “Are you sure, ma chérie?” he asked, looking concerned. “I know it will be hard on you.”
I nodded, and looked down as Jordan spoke. “I’ll go with if you want.”
“No. Sid will meet me there. You guys need to rest for the game tomorrow. It’s going to be a doosey. Nemo might be in net.”
“So do you,” Geno added. “You and Jordan and Brooksy and Tanger lead team now. We need you good.”
I smiled a bit, his broken English oddly comforting. “I’ll be ok, guys. Sid will be there. I won’t be alone. You guys all rest.”
They all nodded and I started playing with Jordan’s long locks. The four of us were situated comfortably in my living room with Marc on my left, his arm draped around my shoulders as he holds me close, Jordan laying down on my right with his head in my lap, and Geno sitting in a chair next to the couch with my legs over his as we fought for room for our legs and feet on the coffee table. I gave up the fight and just stuck my legs over his.
Oddly enough, I was very comfortable like this as the boys watched TV.
Playing with Jordan’s golden hair was comforting. His hair was soft after just drying from a shower, and the rhythm helped soothe me.
It’s hard loosing a friend. And Alex Goligoski, Goligo, Goose, was just traded to Dallas for a player that will hopefully help us with our scoring problem...
And the defenseman that Sid pulled around the ice during his fight earlier in the season.
I find that fairly ironic. But there’s no hard feelings in hockey. Everything stays on the ice... well most of the time. But this is definitely one of the “staying on the ice” times.
“You’re hungry,” Jordan announced suddenly, his eyes glued to the TV.
“What?” I asked, looking down at him. He looked so young with his head in my lap. He looked like a little child with fluffy golden hair that just wanted to snuggle with his mother.
He turned his head slightly so he could look up at me. “Your stomach just growled.”
I laughed. “It did? I didn’t feel it.”
“Well, I heard it.” He flashed a smile.
“Well,” I said, returning his smile only slightly. “I’m not that hungry.”
Marc-Andre shifted his weight next to me, and I turned my head to look at him. “You need to eat if you’re hungry, ma chérie. I know you’re upset, but you need to eat.”
I dropped his gaze and shrugged, earning myself looks from all three boys.
With a sigh, I agreed and the love of my life got up to eat up some leftover Chinese Food.
I ate the Chinese food in silence, being careful not to drop anything on Jordan’s head. He probably wouldn’t appreciate that very much if I did.
It was time to go get Goose and take him to the airport, so Jordan lifted his head up off of my lap, and Marc hugged me extra long. Geno, who stayed sitting since his knee is swelling a bit, rubbing my hand softly, smiling gently. “It part of the game.”
“I know,” I sniffed softly. “And this is why I’m retiring. I can’t take this anymore.”
“I don’t understand,” Geno asked, confused. “You still be with us next year as staff. You still have to deal with trades.”
I smiled at him a bit. “Yes, but I won’t be playing. It’s different being linemates and teammates than being your boss, so to say. I will still be close to all of you, especially those of you I have played with that are still here, but there will be one connection that won’t be there- the sense of family, and unity.”
Geno nodded slightly. “I think I get it.”
“I get it. For instance, with me, I haven’t really had a good relationship with Pauly and Z, because I haven’t played with him until January. If they were traded then, even though I was friends, there just wouldn’t have been that sense of ‘leaving forever’ and ‘playing for a whole other team’. They weren’t teammates to me, just friends. So it’s like when friends move. But now that I’m playing with them, that teammate connection is there, and it would instantly be longer.”
I looked at Jordan and nodded, smiling softly. “Exactly.”
“Oh, I see,” Geno said, nodding in understanding.
“I better go or he’ll be late.”
Marc stopped me before I left through the door. He placed a chaste kiss on my cheek, and rubbed my arm softly. “Je t’aime. I might be napping when you get home. I’ll see you when we leave for the game. Call me, though, if you need me.”
I nodded and hugged him tightly, holding in tears. “Thank you. Je t’aime aussi.” And with that, I left before anything else could be said.
I picked up Goligo, and we were fairly quiet through the whole ride to the airport. We said a few little things here and there, but nothing extravagant. The mood was very solemn.
Once at the airport, I helped him grab his bags since he had a few. Most his stuff he was able to pack, but the rest I would be shipping down to Dallas for him. He was very grateful in all the help I was giving him.
Sidney met us inside, and they shook hands, and Sid even pulled him into a hug. “Take care in Dallas and everywhere else you go, ok? Even though we played the Stars already, in the summer and next season and everything, we’ll hang out. After the game next year for sure.”
Goose nodded and smiled. “Of course, bro. You take care of that head of yours too. The Penguins need their captain on the ice as well as everywhere else. As much as we enjoy seeing you around, and I can say this since I’m no longer a Penguin, but it makes us/them really want you back more.”
The two boys laughed and let go of each other’s hands, and Goose turned to face me with a sad smile after checking the time on his phone. “Give Burish a punch in the shoulder for me, will you?” I asked him, referring to the former Blackhawk.
Goose laughed and nodded. “Will do. I will give him the personal message from Sierra Crosby.”
I chuckled a bit, but then he pulled me into a hug, causing me to tear up again. “I’ll miss you.”
“I’ll miss you too. I’m still invited to the wedding, right?” he joked, getting me to laugh again. He’s always been very good at getting me to laugh.
“Of course. Just because you’re a Star doesn’t mean you aren’t a friend.”
We pulled away from each other, smiling, and the three of us looked up as the intercom came on to inform the passengers of the boarding flight. I turned away and Sidney and Goose said their last goodbyes before he walked on the plane towards his new home.
Sidney walked up behind me and hugged me tightly. “Are you ok?” he whispered, kissing my head lightly.
I nodded. “I’ll be ok. I have to be. I need to go to the rink to meet with the new guys since their flight is so late.”
“Ok,” my brother replied, unsure. “Take care, and warn them of the chaos.”
I chuckled. “I will.” I wiped my eyes and sniffed before heading down back to where my Mustang awaited me.
I sent Marc a quick text, telling him that Goose’s flight took off, and I made sure that he knew that I was meeting up with Neal, Niskanen, and the coaches to meet with them, and help show them the way the Penguins organization runs since they missed today’s practice.
But before I left, I placed my head on the steering wheel and let myself cry. I let the pain take its course, and once I had no more tears left to shed, I took off towards the Consol Energy Center.