Sequel: Pureblood

Halfblood

First Day

I twisted and turned, looking at myself in the mirror. I was wearing the school uniform; white skirt, white jacket over a black dress shirt, and red bow around the neck. The guys had to wear basically the same except they wore white pants and red ties. I had my hair out again, not in the mood to style it. As I looked at myself in the mirror, I decided the skirt was too short for my liking.
“Who do I speak to if I want to get a longer skirt?” I asked Gwen, who was already in her uniform and brushing her hair.
“Why do you want to get it longer? It looks hot on you!” she said enthusiastically.
“I guess.” I said, not really believing it.
“Come on! You don’t want to be late for your first day!”
“Maybe I do!” I say jokingly as I grab my messenger bag with my books and my schedule and we head out the door.
As we get closer, I’m amazed at the size of the school. It looked castle-like in architecture. I feel a lump form in my throat as my nerves came back. I looked down at my schedule for the first time:
1st Period Global History 2, Rm. 215, Prof. Ashura √
2nd Period Music Appreciation, Rm. 314, Prof. Nokomis√
3rd Period English 2, Rm. 213, Prof. Vento
4th Period Archery, Gymnasium, Prof. Gibson√
5th Period Study, Rm. 312
6th Period Intro to Equestrian Studies, Field House, Prof. Nedra√
“Why are there checks next to some of my classes?” I ask Gwen.
“Tessa thought it was necessary to check off all the classes you have with Umbriel-kane. I told her not to but she insisted.” she says as she rolls her eyes. We walk to room 215 and hug goodbye. She promises to show me to my next class and heads to her first class.
I take a deep breath and walk in. The moment I do the chatter stops and it becomes quiet. I try to act confident and head to the back of the room to find an empty seat, fully aware of everyone staring. When everyone starts talking again, I look around the room and I saw him.
Umbriel-kane was standing by the window reading a book. His dark brown hair hanging over his face. I couldn’t take my eyes away from him. Gwen wasn’t lying when she said he was the hottest guy in the school. As if sensing I was staring at him, he looked up at me and smiled. I felt my cheeks grow hot and looked away. At that moment, the teacher walked in.
“Okay everyone, settle down and take your seats.” she said. She was wearing a black pencil dress with heels. Her black hair was tied up in a bun. She took roll call. Then she came to my name.
“Lyra Monaghan.” I raised my hand to show I was here like everyone else did. “Would you like to share anything about yourself?” she asked, smiling kindly. Everyone turned and looked at me.
“You mean besides the fact she’s a freak.” I recognize the voice to be Jessica’s. Everyone laughed until the teacher silenced them.
“That is enough Jessica. The headmaster has already spoken to you about this.” Professor Ashura’s voice was full of authority. “As for the rest of you, you should know better than to treat a new student that way.” After that, no further comments were made.
When she finished roll call, she told everyone the lesson plan of the day. We were learning about the Druids and Celtics in Ireland. As she did, everything she said wrote itself on the board. I was shocked then realized that her ability must be telekinesis. Class continued and I actually kind of liked it. She seemed to be very energetic with her teaching. At the end of class I went up to the desk.
“You wanted to see me, Professor Ashura?” I say.
“Yes, how do you like the school so far?” she asks.
“Okay I guess.” I say, shrugging.
“Everyone treating you well?”
“Yeah.” I lie.
“Good!” she hands me paper. “These are all the lessons that you missed. Make sure you study.”
“Thank you.” I walk out of the room.
“Hey!” says Gwen. “How was your first class?”
“Actually pretty good!” I say.
“Did it freak you out when the lesson plan wrote itself on the board?” she asked, smiling.
“Hell yeah!” I said, laughing. It was then that I noticed Umbriel-kane leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets. He was looking at me. I kept walking but I looked back at him, then he winked at me. I looked away.
“Oh my god, Umbriel-kane just winked at you!” she said once he was out of ear shot.
I shrugged and said, “I didn’t notice.”
“Yeah right you didn’t notice!”
“He probably wasn’t even looking at me.” I said. “If you didn’t see him looking right at you, then you should get your eyes checked! He probably likes you!”
“Why would Umbriel-kane, a Pureblood, like me, a Halfling?” I ask.
“Because he sees you’re not stuck up like everyone else, your gorgeous.” she says, counting them on her fingers. I stopped her before she can continue.
“He doesn’t like me. I’m sure of it.”
“You trying to convince me or yourself?” she asked me. I knew she was right. I couldn’t deny that he had winked at me. But was he just trying to tease me or did he really like me?
Gwen told me she wouldn’t be able to walk me to my third class. I told her it was alright and that I would just try to find my way there on my own. When I walked into music class, the teacher called my up to his desk.
“Do you have any experience with music besides listening to your Ipod?” he asked me. He seemed a little irritated.
“Yes, sir. I play guitar and sing.” I answered.
“Would you be interested in singing or playing guitar in front of the class?” I shook my head. “Alright. Take a seat.” he says as he waves me away.
I actually enjoyed the rest of music. But I kept feeling watched by a pair of eyes. I finally looked up from writing notes and looked around the room. I located who it was that was watching me, Umbriel-kane. Why was he looking at me? Was he interested in me? I ignored it and went back to writing notes.
English was sort of boring. We were reading ‘Othello’. It was a book I’ve read a million times. I always loved the works of Shakespeare. His plays about forbidden love, fairies, and humorous situations always intrigued me.
Archery was difficult. I kept missing the target and had no idea what I was doing. It was a lot harder than it looked. I flinched at the sound of every thud as everyone’s arrow hit the target. It made me even more unsteady that Umbriel-kane was in the same class.
I was thankful to finally have study so I can talk to Gwen. I walked in and spotted Gwen, Tessa, Luna, and Damion. They waved me over to sit with them.
As I pulled up a chair, Gwen said “Tell them how Umbriel-kane likes you!” Tessa, Luna, and Damion turned to me with a look of astonishment.
“He doesn’t like me.” I say.
“He so does!” She turned to them and said, “He winked at her in the hallway!”
“Your first day here and already a guy flirts with you!” Tessa says.
“Not just any guy, Umbriel-kane!” says Damion.
“Did he talk to you?” asked Luna.
“No but in every class I had with him, he kept looking at me.” I said as I shrugged.
“He was so checking you out!” says Tessa.
“No he wasn’t. Can we change the subject now?” I say.
“Alright but you have one more class with him! Be prepared if he talks to you!” Tessa says. I laugh knowing its nonsense.
After study, Gwen tells me that the field house is behind the school. I get there a few minutes late. The field house I more like a horse stable.
“Lyra, your horse is Lily.” Professor Nedra tells me. “Since your new, I’ll let you hang back from riding. But be ready tomorrow.”
I spend the class watching everyone ride. I was actually able to notice their mistakes. Some were pulling on the reins too hard and others seemed to be scared of falling off and made the horse nervous. Its not like I’ve ever rode a horse before, I just knew. The only one who seemed to know what he was doing was Umbriel-kane.
When class was over, I stayed a little while longer to brush Lily. She seemed to enjoy it. She kept trying to eat my hair though. I was just about finished brushing her when I heard a knocking sound. I turned around, startled, and drop the brush. It was Umbriel-kane. I froze in place, not sure what to do.
“You seem to have a way with her.” he says, kindly.
I finally find my voice, bow and say, “Thank you, Umbriel-kane.”
“She’s usually very hostile. But she seems to have taken a liking to you. Have you had lessons before?”
“No, it’s my first time.” I answer.
“Perhaps you’re a natural.” I don’t respond because I’m not really sure what to say. He turns and walks away saying, “Welcome to the school.”
I stand there a few minutes, not sure if the short conversation really happened. I look at my cell phone and see its five thirty. I put the brush back and walk towards the dorm. I wont hear the end of it when I tell Gwen.

“Okay so he says ‘Welcome to the school.’ then leaves?” asks Tessa for the millionth time. When I told Gwen, she called Tessa, Luna, and Damion and told them to come right over. I had to tell the story about fifteen times.
“Guys, come on. It’s not that big of a deal.” I say. “It was a small conversation.”
“Yeah but Umbriel-kane is kind of loner. He talks to people but doesn’t hang out with anyone. The fact that he talked to you, and it’s only your first day, is pretty amazing.” says Damion.
“Maybe he was just being nice?” I say, trying to convince them.
“Hello, earth to Lyra! He went out of his way to talk to you! Okay, I admit it, was stupid conversation but he actually talked to you. You can’t act like that’s nothing.” says Luna.
“But that doesn’t mean he likes me! He hardly even knows me!” I say, throwing my hands in the air. “I bet he doesn’t even know my name.”
“Whatevs! Sooner or later he’ll ask you out! I know it!” Tessa says.
When they leave, I throw myself on the bed and put a pillow over my face. I can’t believe their throwing this completely out of proportion. When they haven’t put into account is that me and Umbriel-kane are worlds different. He’s a Pureblood destined for the Senate. I’m just a Halfling freak who will always be an outcast. Sure I have people to talk to now, but what about later on? I can feel my head throbbing from being overwhelmed.
“You alright?” I hear Gwen’s muffled voice. I take the pillow off my head.
“Yeah, I’m fine.”
“I’m not going to bring it up if you don’t want to talk about it and I won’t push the subject. You’ll get enough of that from Tessa.”
“Thanks.” I say, giving a small smile. “Their all just over exaggerating everything for no reason. Next thing you know they’ll be saying he wants to ask me out!” I laugh.