Sequel: Pureblood

Halfblood

Vision

A week passes, and me and Gwen are getting ready to go to town at five o’clock. We’re allowed to go into town on weekends and the school rents cars for the students. Gwen says there’s a great dance club that she went to. Tessa, Luna, and Damion are coming along too. I’m wearing a short black dress that I borrowed from Gwen. I put my hair in a loose pony tail and put on lip gloss for good measure. Suddenly there’s a nock at the door. Damion opens the door and peaks his head in.
“You guys ready to go yet? Tessa keeps saying she’s two seconds from leaving and going by herself.” he says.
“Yep!” me and Gwen say in unison.
When we get there, the blaring music from inside drifts outside. Thankfully the line to get inside wasn’t long and they’re letting everyone from our school in. The bouncer at the front door was a vampire as far as I can tell. Since the humans didn’t know about vampires, we weren’t allowed to talk about vampire stuff.
The inside of the club was kind of what I expected. The walls were painted black and the lights were off except for a disco ball and some strobe lights. Me, Gwen, and Tessa head to the dance floor while Luna and Damion sit at a table. I move my body to the rhythm and allow the music to flow through me.
After a while, I suddenly feel a wave of dizziness and stumble. I haven’t even had a drink. I can feel a headache coming on and everything sounds far away. Something’s not right, why do I feel so strange? I look down at my hands and see blood. What the hell!
“Lyra,” says Gwen. I look up at her, my eyes wide. “Are you alright?” she asks, looking worried. I look down at my hands, and the blood is gone! What just happened?
“Yeah, I’m fine.” I lie.
“You don’t look fine.” she says, not believing me. “Come on, you probably just need to sit.” She leads me to the table where Luna and Damion are sitting.
“I know you want to kiss me!” Damion says to Luna, jokingly. Her response is stuffing a tissue in his mouth.
“Hey, you guys ready to go yet? We’ve been here for like two hours.” Luna complains.
“I think we should. Lyra doesn’t seem to be feeling right.” Gwen tells her. I feel a sharp pain in my chest and wince. What the hell is happening to me?

I’m in the dorm bathroom leaning on the sink. I look in the mirror and all I see is blood. I close my eyes tightly and when I open them the blood is gone. I splash water on my face, hoping it will help. I drop a blood tablet in a cup of water. I realize my hand is shaking.
I’m just about drink when I suddenly feel like I’ve been punched in the chest. I drop the cup and the, now red, water spills on the floor. I can’t breath. I touch my chest and when I look at my hands I see blood again. I feel like I’ve been stabbed in the heart. I can hear myself wheezing, trying to get air in my lungs. I look in the mirror and I’m covered in blood, a wound right where my heart is. I gasp and everything goes black.

“Lyra!” I hear a voice say. “Lyra!”
I open my eyes to see who it is. Gwen is crouched over me with a look of anxiousness.
“Oh thank God. I thought you would never wake up!” she says.
“What happened?” I sit up. I’m on the bathroom floor.
“I was hoping you can tell me. Come on, let’s get to our room.”
When we’re finally in our room, I touch my head and feel a lump there. I must have hit my head hard when I passed out. I told Gwen what happened since the club.
“That explains why you were acting a little odd. But why did you see yourself covered in blood?” she asked me when I was finished telling her.
“I don’t know.” I say flatly.
“Maybe you were having a panic attack?”
“That explains my trouble breathing but what about what I saw when I looked in the mirror?” It made me shiver just to think about it. I looked at the clock and saw it was ten o’clock. I was unconscious for an hour. Suddenly, when I look at Gwen, I see a masked man holding a knife. I gasp and flatten myself against the wall. I felt like I was fearing for my life. As fast as it appeared, it disappeared.
“Lyra, what happened?” Gwen asked sounding concerned.
“I saw a man with a mask on, holding a knife.” I say, my voice shaking. I pull my knees up to my chest.
“Maybe you’re just tired. You’ll probably feel better once you get some rest.”
“Yeah. Maybe.”

The next day, I tell Gwen I was feeling sick and needed to rest. I really did feel sick. Gwen figured that I needed a rest day after everything that happened last night. She left saying that she hoped I feel better soon. I hoped so too.
I couldn’t shake the feeling that what I experienced last night wasn’t nothing. Like it was going to happen. But that’s not possible. I can’t see the future; in fact, I’m not even sure what my future is. I spend the day listening to music, reading, and sleeping. I grabbed a bottle of water and dropped a blood tablet in it. Hopeful that it will help me feel better.
A little while later, I hear a knock at the door. The door opens and Gwen, Tessa, Damion, and Luna come in.
“Hey! What are you guys doing here?” I say, happy that my friends are here.
“We skipped study to keep you company!” Damion says.
“So Gwen told us what happened last night.” Luna says sympathetically.
“Sorry.” Gwen says guiltily.
“It’s alright. It saves me giving the explanation!” I say laughing. “My life is so pathetic! First week of school, and I start seeing things like a crazy person!”
“You didn’t seem this okay with it last night.” Gwen says with a worried look on her face.
“That’s because it was an in the moment panic.” says Tessa. “It’s called blocking it out.”
“Anyway, what did I miss in school?” I ask, trying to change the subject.
“Rumor has it that Umbriel-kane was asking about you!” Tessa says with a huge smile on her face.
“Oh, not this again!” I say, throwing my hands in the air, laughing. “What makes you think he was asking about me?”
“Well, he’s in my algebra class and he asked me if I hung out with you, so I was like ‘yeah’. Then he was like ‘She wasn’t in class. Do you know why?’ So I was like ‘Oh she’s not feeling well. She stayed at the dorm.’” said Luna.
“Told you he liked you!” said Tessa.
“Maybe he wanted to ask me a simple question?” I say.
“Yeah, he wanted to ask you out!” says Damion.
“After I’ve been here a while, maybe I’ll think about whether or not he likes me. Right now it’s too soon to tell.” I say.
“Alright.” says Tessa.
“What ever you say.” says Luna, holding up her hands in mock surrender.
“Oh, I heard a rumor that Jessica got caught making out with some guy in the janitor’s closet!” Gwen says and everyone laughs. I make a note to myself to thank her for changing the subject.