Sequel: Pureblood

Halfblood

Vampire Soiree

The next three days was basically the same. We sat together and talked in all the classes we had together. He doesn't’t ask me out but it was nice just talking to him. The strange part was that he wasn’t like I thought he would be. He was easy to talk to and kind. He seemed to know when I was feeling down too.
“You’re going to the soirée, right?” asks Gwen.
We’re in our room hanging out. I’m helping her pick out a dress to wear tonight and she’s worried she won’t be ready in three hours.
“Well, yeah. It’s not like I have a choice.” I say. Vampires were obligated to go to soirées within their area, even though I was only half. “But I don’t have anything nice to wear.” She turns back to the closet and searches through it.
“Here, try this on!” she says, tossing me a dress. I hold it up to get a better look at it. It was an off-white silk drop-waist dress.
“I can’t wear this. It would look much better on you.” I tell her.
“Just try it on. Then you can decide if you want to wear it.” she says.
I slipped it on with ease, like it was made just for me. I looked in the mirror to see myself in it. It was the most beautiful dress I had ever worn. It flowed down to my ankles. As I twisted and turned, the bottom of it flared out.
“I told you it would look good.” Gwen says. “I have heels that would go perfect with it too.”
I was too amazed by the dress to protest. After putting up my hair in a formal style, I put on my dress coat, which is longer than the dress. Gwen decided to wear a black dress that flared out at the waist, almost like a formal Lolita look.
“Ever been to a vampire soirée before?” Gwen asks as we get in the car that will take us to the party.
“Not really.” I say, shrugging.
“Well, it’s mostly commoners but I heard this time there might be someone from the Senate. And Umbriel-kane will be there.” I can hear the excitement in her voice.
“Isn’t he always at the soirées?” I ask. Purebloods went to all the vampire gatherings.
“I actually don’t recall him going to any. He tends to stay to himself.”
When we get there, I’m astonished to see where the party is being held. It was a huge mansion with a large lawn and fountain in the front. As we walked in I was amazed at the number of vampires attending, all in formal wear.
“And so let the mingling begin!” Gwen says, excitedly. I look at her nervously. “Don’t worry! Stick with me and you’ll be fine!”
As we step through the large doors, I can’t help but become aware of the music. It was a haunting sound of classical music. I looked around the very crowded ballroom, everyone standing around talking. Gwen already starts talking to people. A butler comes over and takes our coats.
As Gwen talks to everyone, I stand next to her. I’m completely aware of people ignoring me. It’s always been this way for me. It was a disgrace that my father, a Pureblood, not only revealed the vampire world to a human but also had a child with one. We were there for about an hour when the room suddenly went silent
I look around and I realize why. Tristan Umbriel-kane walks into the room. He’s wearing a black suit, it was the first time I’ve seen him out of school uniform and I couldn’t help but stare. The men bowed and women curtseyed. When I glance up at him, he is looking right at me. His expression almost seems like…desire? Surly he isn’t looking at me like that. I started feeling uncomfortable and looked away.
A man, the host for the soirée, steps up and says “Umbriel-kane, thank you for attending this gathering. I have a favor to ask on behalf of my family.”
Umbriel-kane waits patiently, then a girl steps forward. Her hair was an auburn color and was shoulder length. Her crimson colored dress touched the floor and had a slit that ran up her left leg.
“This is my daughter, Selene Desdemona. Our wish is that you might take a fancy to her in hopes of an alliance with our families.” The host says and the whole room whispered.
My heart felt heavy. I should have known something like this would happen eventually, sometimes families formed alliances by arranged marriage, especially with Purebloods.
I have to get out of here. I felt suffocated. I walked to the door calmly as I could. The cold, crisp night air greeted me as I walked outside. I ran, not even knowing were I was headed. I just needed to think. I was finally able to find a spot next to a tree and sat, despite the beautiful dress. I wrapped my arms around myself.
How could I leave myself open for disappointment? It was bound to happen sooner or later. I tricked myself into thinking that the impossible was possible. I was such a fool. He was too perfect and too far out of my reach.
“Lyra?” I hear a voice say. I look up and see its Umbriel-kane. “What are you doing out here?” He sits down beside me.
“Just getting fresh air.” I say. “What about you?”
“Looking for you.” he said with a kind smile.
His words caught me off guard. Why would he waste time looking for me? I wasn’t about to ask him that directly.
“How did you know where to find me?”
“I looked for you but couldn’t find you. I asked your friend Gwendolyn where you were and she told me you ran off. I came to find you because I got worried.” he says.
“But, why would you be worried about me, Umbriel-kane? What about your new fiancé?” I ask him.
“I turned Selene down.” he says. I look at him, surprised. Could there actually be hope after all? “Will you come back? It’s not the same without you.” He stands and holds out his hand to me.
“I’m sure it’s better without me.” I say but take his hand.
As he helps me up he says, “Believe me, it would never be better without you. And don’t call me ‘Umbriel-kane’, I prefer Tristan.” He smiles at me and my heart stands still. I feel honored to be able to call him by his first name.
When we walk in, everyone turns to see him. Then they see me and turn away, whispering. My cheeks feel hot from the embarrassment.
“Don’t worry about them.” Tristan whispers in my ear. Then he says, “Will you dance with me?” My heart starts to pound as my mind grasps what he is asking me.
“Yes.” I say to him.
He leads me to the center of the room, where everyone is dancing. I turn to him as he places his hand on the small of my back and takes my hand. I put my hand on his shoulder and we begin to dance. I want to look in his eyes but I can’t find the courage to.
“Loosen up. Your too tense.” he says to me gently. I did as he said and felt a little better.
I looked up into his eyes and he held mine. The world suddenly faded away and it was only us and the music. Nothing else mattered except for him. I was hypnotized.
“Can you not do that?” I say to him.
“Do what?” he said curiously.
“Every time I look at you, I can’t think of anything else. I feel like I’m in a trance.” I tell him. I can’t stop the words from coming out.
“I feel the same when I look at you.” he says to me smiling. My heart skipped a beat. “That’s why I came to this soirée.”
“What do you mean?” I ask, confused.
“I usually try to avoid it so I don’t have to go through situations like the one before with Selene.” he explained. “But I came because I knew you would be here.”
His smile made me smile. But my smile slowly faded with sudden realization. This isn’t supposed to happen. I don’t want him to throw everything away because of me. We’re too different, completely different. What was wrong with me? I’m only dragging myself into something that will never work. I’m not meant for him, he needs someone better. That girl, Selene, would be better for him.
“You need to stop doubting yourself.” Tristan says to me kindly.
“How do you always know how I feel?” I ask him.
“I can sense other’s emotions. But I can sense your emotions almost as if they were my own.” he tells me. “You have so much doubt for yourself. You’re better than you give yourself credit for.”
“But you know, don’t you? We don’t belong together. It won’t work.”
I can almost feel tears in my eyes, but try to hold them back. Just then the music stops, signaling the end of the soirée. How long had we been dancing? It’s as if time rushed by. I pull away from him.
“I’m sorry.” My voice sounds almost like a whisper as I turn to walk away.
“Wait.” He gently grabs my hand. I turn to look at him. “Perhaps we can see each other tomorrow? A date?” I look at him, shocked that he would ask me. Maybe it was a joke. “Please.” He’s serious about this. My heart beats faster and I can’t take it anymore.
“Alright.” I say with a smile.
He kisses my hand, “I shall see you tomorrow at three.” He almost seems relieved that I agreed. As I walk over to Gwen, I start to feel jittery with excitement.
“What happened?” Gwen asks with obvious excitement.
“Tell Tessa, Luna, and Damion to meet us in our room. I think I owe them an apology for doubting them.”