Sequel: Pureblood

Halfblood

Uncovering the Past

I walked to the dorm living room with Gwen. I saw Tristan waiting for me. He was in his school uniform along with the other students in the room. He notices me and smiles.
“I’ll leave you to your hot boyfriend!” Gwen says jokingly.
I roll my eyes at her. She skips off to find the others. I walk over to him and we embrace each other. I can feel everyone’s eyes on us, but I didn’t care.
“Good morning.” he says to me with a smile.
“Good morning to you too.” I say. “They’re all staring at us.”
“Let them.” he says with a smile. He leans in and kisses me and I can almost here everyone in the room gasp.
We walk to the school holding hands. Everyone was whispering amongst themselves and I couldn’t hold back smiling. They seemed to be in as much surprise as I was. AS we walk into our first class, the room becomes silent. We go and sit at our seats.
Tristan leans in and whispers, “I think someone is jealous.”
I look at him confused. Then I look around and figure out what he means. I see Jessica staring at us with jealousy and anger in her eyes. Any other time, I would have been scared. I put my hand over my mouth to hide my laughter.
The rest of classes were basically the same. Us holding hands and kissing. People staring and whispering. We’re in equestrian studies now. We race each other and laugh.
“I win!” yell to him.
“No fair! You got a head start!” he yells back with a smile.
“Did not!” I say, smiling back.
“Class is over guys! Take your horses back to the field house!” Professor Nedra yells out to everyone.
Me and Tristan hop off our horses and lead them back to the field house. I started to feel dizzy and put my hand to my head, blinking a few times.
“Are you alright?” Tristan says concern in his voice.
“It’s nothing. I’m fine.” I lie, hoping he’ll believe it.
Then I started having trouble breathing. I put my hand to my chest. I remember this happening the night me and Gwen went to the dance club. Why was this happening again? I could feel the ground moving under me. Tristan called to me but he sounded far away. The sharp pain in my chest caused me to stagger. I looked down and my uniform was soaked with blood. I heard Tristan call my name as everything went dark.

I felt weak and couldn’t open my eyes. Was I dead? I forced my eyes to open. I saw a white ceiling. I looked around to see white walls also. I realized then that I was in a bed. I tried to sit up.
“Lyra.” I turned to the direction of the voice to see Tristan, sitting in a chair next to the bed. He sounded almost relieved. He held my hand in his, and he looked very concerned.
“Where am I? What happened?” I ask him.
“You’re in the nurse’s office. You fainted after class. I was so worried about you.”
My heart caught in my throat. How can this be happening again? Just then, Gwen rushes in.
“I rushed over here when I found out.” she said, panting. She looks at me and says, “Did it happen again?” I knew what she meant.
“Yeah.” I say to her flatly.
“This has happened before?” Tristan asks.
“It happened a week after I came to the school.” I tell him.
“She saw herself covered in blood. And a masked man holding a knife.” Gwen tells Tristan, her voice almost a whisper. His face is full of shock, worry, and concern.
“It’s nothing.” I say trying to shrug it off.
“It isn’t nothing, Lyra. You collapsed out of no where. Did you see the same thing as the last time it happened?” Tristan asks me.
I sigh and say, “I felt dizzy and a pain in my chest. When I looked down, I saw myself covered in blood.”
My voice shook as I told him. I felt fear just thinking about it.
“I don’t want to think about it right now.” I tell them. After that, the subject was dropped.
For the rest of the week, Tristan seemed to keep a close eye on me. I knew he was worried so I didn’t complain. I still couldn’t understand why this kept happening. Perhaps it will stop.

“Where is he?” I ask out loud, looking at the time on my cell phone. It’s Saturday night and Tristan told me earlier to meet him outside the dorm. I was wearing a pink knee length skirt, a matching shirt, and sandals. He didn’t tell me what he planned so I wasn’t sure if I was dressed right. I was starting to think he wasn’t going to show up.
I suddenly felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and Tristan whispered to me, “You look beautiful as always!” I can hear the smile in his voice.
I couldn’t hold back a giggle. He turns me so I face him and kisses me. His kisses never fail to leave me breathless.
“What do you have planned?” I ask with a smile.
“You’ll see!” he says, smiling back.
“Oh, mysterious! I like that!” He kisses me again.
We walked holding hands. I couldn’t help but wonder what he had planned. We walked through the forest and the crickets played their nightly orchestra. It was a wonderful night.
Suddenly there was a clearing with a lake. The moon light touched the water and almost made it glow. There was a blanket surrounded by a few candles. I looked to Tristan. He had a smile on his face, obviously pleased with my reaction.
“This is the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me.” I say.
“I knew you would like it.”
“I love it!” I kiss him.
We sit and watch the stars together. His arm was around my shoulders and held my hand. We sat there for what felt like a half hour. He suddenly stood and held out his hand to me.
“May I have this dance?” he asks.
“There’s no music.” I say with a laugh as I take his hand.
He helps me up and says, “There doesn’t have to be.”
As we started to dance, he hummed a tune I wasn’t familiar with. I wrapped my arms around his neck as we swayed. A thought suddenly popped into my mind.
“So, you told me you can sense emotions, right?” I ask him.
“Yeah.” he says.
“Any other abilities?”
“Well, I can see someone’s memories through touch.” I pulled away from him. “What’s wrong?”
“Have you seen any of my memories?” I can hear the slight panic in my voice. I held my breath, waiting for the answer.
“No, why?” I breathed a sigh of relief. I didn’t want anyone to know what happened to my parents. “Lyra, you can tell me what’s wrong.”
“No I can’t.”
I can feel the tears stream down my face. I fiddled with my necklace, like I always do when I think of my parents.
He puts his hand on my cheek and looks me in the eyes, “Yes you can. What’s wrong?”
“Maybe instead of telling you,” I paused, “you can see my memory.”
My voice was shaky as I thought of the possibility that he would know my secret. But he deserved to know.
“If I see your memory, you’ll see it also. If it’s that painful of a memory—”
“No, I want you to know. I want someone to understand why I don’t like to talk about my parents and why I am the way I am.”
“Are you sure?”
I nodded. As he held my hands in his, I closed my eyes and readied myself. I can feel everything fade away.

“Honey, stop playing with your food.” my mother says to me. She had long brown hair like mine.
“But I’m not hungry, mama.” I say, crossing my arms and leaning back in the chair.
I was seven years old. My family and I are sitting at the table eating dinner.
“If she’s not hungry, then that means its time for bed.” my dad says as he tickles me.
“No!” I say, laughing hysterically.
Suddenly we hear a crash in the other room. My parents stand up, panic on their faces. I’m confused. What’s going on? A man in a mask appears, holding a gun. A vampire hunter.
“Lyra, run!” my mother shouts to me.
I sit there for a moment, paralyzed by fear. I run out of the house and into the back shed. I huddle in the corner. I close my eyes tightly and cup my hands over my ears. I don’t understand what’s going on.
My heart beats wildly as I hear yelling, popping noises, and screams, muffled slightly. I heard a car door slam and a car skidding away. I wait for a few seconds, still frightened. I stand up slowly and walk out of the shed towards the house. There’s glass on the floor of the dining room and windows are broken. The table and chairs are tossed around. I notice some blood on the wall. I step over the broken glass carefully.
“Mama. Papa.” I call out. There’s no answer. I walk into the living room.
I see two bodies on the floor, pools of blood around both. I recognize them as my parents. I feel the tears sting my face. I kneel before my parent’s bodies.
“Mama? Papa? Wake up.” My voice shakes. They have to wake up! They have to! “Wake up! Please, wake up.” My voice gets louder. “Mama! Papa!”
I put my head in my hands and cry. I call desperately to them. My call to them echoes as everything fades away.

I gasp as everything fades back to the present. Tristan embraces me; he was the only thing holding me up. I look into his face before finally breaking down in tears. I cry into his shoulder. The memory of my parent’s death was painful for me.
“It’s alright. You’re alright. I’m here for you.” Tristan repeats over and over, trying to comfort me.
I can’t stop crying. Thinking of all that blood and seeing my parent’s bodies was too much. But I wanted him to know. After a while, I ran out of tears to cry. I tried to pull myself together.
“Are you alright?” he finally asks.
“Yes.”
“I feel guilty for causing you pain. I shouldn’t have done that.”
“I let you see my past. Don’t feel guilty.” Then a thought came to me. “Do you think it’s possible that all the visions I’ve been having are just flash backs to that horrible day?”
“After seeing what you went through, it might be a possibility.”
We kissed and headed back to the dorm. Gwen asked what happened but I told her I didn’t want to talk about it. At first she thought me and Tristan broke up until I assured her that we didn’t. I felt better now that someone else knew. I felt a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.