Lola Bell, The Girl That Runs

Answers

I say in a rush,

“Father, why are you the way you are? Why did you change? Where is the man my mother fell in love with?”

Terrified and in some ways hoping he did not hear all of that, I am shaking. Uncontrollably. Just like his actions.

“What did you just say to me? Did your mother put you up to this? What is wrong with you Lola? You don’t ask, especially me, why I do the things I do! I am your father and I have the right to do whatever I want!”

Next thing I know, he is storming out of the kitchen and heading straight for mother.

“Charlotte, what did you do!?! What thoughts have you put in that girls head? I am not the bad guy here, you are!”

Watching him yell at my mother was horrifying yet I could not turn away. I watch as everything unfolds right in front of me.

Daddy runs at mother, full speed. There is no stopping him. All his rage, hurt and frustration I have been unaware of go right into my mother’s chest, directly to her heart; pierced by a knife.

At that moment, I run. Run until I can run no more. Run until I reach her house. The house I always find safer than my own, the place where I can say whatever and not worry. Running. Running. Running.

Finally I have made it to the house. Not only is the people residing within family to me, but the house is like a protective big brother. No one can hurt me when I am guarded by it.

She answers the door. I collapse in her door way, out of exhaustion. I tell her everything. I always have. I know now. I must avoid her. Though she is my best friend and her family is my family, they must be safe. I can never let my father get to them. I know now. He is a monster that I may not be able to stop, but I can keep him from harming others I love.

I spill my story to her. She says everything will be alright. I think this is not true. Not because of my father though, but because I realize I must lose her; my one link to sanity, the person I can be myself with, must be removed from my life’s equation.

Goodbye dear friend. Have a nice life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter.
Thanks for reading!!! (:
It is my imitation of the style of the book Jazz by Toni Morrison