Sucker Love

Six

In one corner of the room sat Heidi, the bottle she’d been drinking from previously now empty on the floor beside her feet. She didn’t know the guys she was trying to keep into focus as she spoke words she wasn’t sure made sense, or if they even went to the same school as her. She didn’t care. Brian was once again missing for the night, and this time she had a good idea of what he was up to.

Stefan stood in the opposite corner of the large living room that had been cleared of furniture to make room for the dancing bodies now lost in the base of a song Stefan didn’t particularly like. He saw Heidi come to the party with Brian, and noticed they’d been side by side for most of the night. He hadn’t exactly been hard to spot, and Stefan couldn’t help but to notice him. It worried him now that Heidi was being chatted up by a group of guys much too old to be at school, and that she seemed perfectly fine with it. He hadn’t heard any horrible stories surrounding her as of yet, and he was pretty in the know. He was sure she wasn’t the type to go off with random strangers. He felt it partly his responsibility to find Brian and inform him that Heidi was getting into some much unwanted trouble as they were now friends, but Calen’s house was huge and now packed with people. It was unlikely he’d find Brian in time before Heidi was ushered off to a destination she’d regret, but he had to try.

“Excuse me,” he said, and slipped from his group of friends as they were discussing the game to be had on Monday.

“Where are you going?” called Calen, confusion written across his face.

“Uhh, I need a walk. Some fresh air.” He hurried off on his search before he could be questioned further checking all of downstairs first before venturing outside to find Brian, probably face down in the gutter by now. Stefan was pleasantly surprised as he found that Brian was in fact not puking his guts out on the street, yet worried as to where he’d got to, then. He had no reason to be upstairs as that was out of bounds, but then again it was Brian. Stefan jumped the make-do barrier and took 2 steps at a time on his way upstairs as he caught a glimpse of Heidi again on his way in. She was wasted.

“Brian?” he called, searching each room in case he’d passed out somewhere. “Brian?” He made his way to Calen’s room, stopping as he heard a name.

“Brian…” That hadn’t been him that time. “Mmmh, Brian…” He opened the door to Calen’s room before thinking of the consequences, confused as he saw no one at first. On second inspection he saw a girl in Calen’s bed, and a large lump beneath the covers.

“What the hell?” The girl’s eyes shot open at the sound of another voice in the room, rolling closed involuntarily as Brian appeared to have not heard Stefan’s slightly angry tone. “Brian?” He emerged seconds later from beneath the covers, the anger on his face dissolving as he saw who it was that had interrupted him.

“Ohh…hey…” Stefan couldn’t believe his eyes. He’d thought after this morning Brian had cared for him at least a little, but this changed everything. Brian was exactly who he appeared to be, whether he liked it or not.

“If you weren’t too busy fucking someone you’d perhaps have noticed your friend is in some trouble downstairs. But ohh, by no means get up at that, you selfish jerk.” He slammed the door on his way out, not sure as to whether he was more hurt or more angry at Brian’s fickleness. He heard it open moments later and ignored Brian as he called after him, finally stopping as a small hand rested upon his shoulder. He was quick to shove it away, the tears in his eyes hard to hide as Brian turned him to face him anyway.

“Why are you crying? Is she in that much trouble!? Where is she!?”

“You haven’t a clue, Brian! You never have a clue!” Stefan walked off in a huff, leaving Brian standing there scared and confused. He had to find Heidi. He pushed past Stefan on the stairs, gasping as he saw her leaning into the arms of a few guys he didn’t recognise. She wasn’t that type of girl.

“Right, I’ll take it from here,” he announced, grabbing for Heidi and pulling her close to himself.

“A’ight love, how are you tonight? Care for a little fun down at my place?” Brian wondered how it was possible people mistook him for a girl, though in this lighting anything was possible.

“I’m not interested,” he mumbled, walking off as he had her arm around his neck.

“Ohh come on love,” the guy persisted. Brian jumped as he felt someone pinch his ass.

“I said I’m not bloody interested, okay!?” The guy put up his hands as if to surrender.

“Okay, don’t get your panties in a twist.” He rolled his eyes and walked off, his mates soon following behind.

“Brian?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

“I know hun,” he replied, continuing to make his way out of the overcrowded house and onto the street. Heidi’s house was only a few blocks away, and she wasn’t very heavy. Brian walked her all the way there, taking off her shoes before she crawled into bed and fell into a deep sleep almost straight away. He left her bathroom door open knowing what the morning held for her before slipping in bed beside her, cuddling up to her side. No one would hurt his Heidi.