Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 11: The Lycanthrope

We didn’t wake up together. I think that was the most painful thing. I believed that the bonds of our intertwined bodies would be enough to keep her with me.

I was wrong.

Maybe fate didn’t exist; maybe I wasn’t supposed to be with Iliana after all. I only knew one thing; I was lost and so alone.
I thought about how long I had been travelling. I had been travelling in time about three days, but it could have been three months or three years, I would never be able to tell the difference. I had no control of this amazing power that I had been cursed with, but I was going to get it, one way or another. I had decided that this was how I wanted my life to be. I wanted every day to be different, I wanted to be somewhere different and unfamiliar every single day and I wanted to do my part to help other people.

Damian spoke to me in my mind. He usually spoke when I was asleep, but he had begun to talk to me when I woke up too. He said one thing, and then his voice would disappear. Damian would tell me the year and then he would leave me to my own devices. I think Damian wanted me to succeed over the devil more than even the devil knew.
The year was 1605 and the stars in the night sky twinkled and winked at me, just like that night in Venice with Iliana. I felt a great sadness sweep over me. I had lost her; the silence was a tune, a lament, telling me that I would never see her again. Screw the silence, I was my own man. I would find her again, just like I would be free to travel in time without restraint and rules.

The clouds in the sky parted, covering up some stars but revealing to me the wonder that was the bright full moon. I stopped my walk and looked skyward. I couldn’t help look at the moon in astonishment. I felt older, but I felt like I was discovering everything again for the first time. The moon and the stars were showing me the infinite possibilities of the universe, shouting out at me as they did to great astrologists. “Explore me.”

I pulled myself back to reality with an effort and walked into a relatively dark clearing, hoping that the path would lead somewhere. All I could see was a forest, a deep and quiet forest. When I awoke now I just followed my gut and explored, looking for truths and answers. Common sense no longer bothered my mind, for I am the man who can never die.
I pulled out my humble torch that I always kept in my trench coat and turned it on. It felt wrong having the torch in this time, it hadn’t been invented yet and if a local caught me using it, they may think me a witch or warlock or some other ghastly patron of unjust magic. I sauntered on through the clearing, using only the torch and the moonlight to guide me.

The gift of time travel had made me feel rather lonesome. After Faith I didn’t really care, but that was then and back then I didn’t care about anything. Now I realised what there was to live for, what was out there. I couldn’t ignore it, not now. I could no longer lock myself away and call myself king of my own greedy castle. I wanted more. I wanted the universe to be my playground, I wanted a companion and I wanted Iliana.

My thoughts were burgled away from me as a scream engulfed the silent night. It was the scream from a man and it wasn’t too far away. My expression changed to inquisitive and I ran my hands trough my curly black hair. A second later after I began to pace forward I heard another scream and what sounded like bones breaking and shattering.
I ran my hands through my hair again, it was a nervous gesture, my life had been quiet lately, I was going to develop the habit again. I ran fourth, through the many trees, the pocket watch jumping from my pocket as if it were hot. The pocket watch bounced off my knee as I ran; there was no time to correct the irritation.

I burst through the trees and saw the body of a man. The man had been deformed badly, his bones had been torn through his flesh and were now pointing to the sky, his limbs in positions that made my stomach churn. The face of the man was still pretty much in tact, although it was rather obvious that the man had been alive when whatever did this to him had departed. He had coughed up much blood, he had an internal injury, and I could see ribs thrown across the dirt and some of the man’s vital organs in pieces on the floor.
I tried to steady myself. Taking in this sight was one thing, but dealing with it was another. I turned around and vomited on the floor. When it was clear that I had vomited up the entire contents of my stomach I brought my head up to face the corpse once more. My limbs began to shake, but now because of the corpse, it was because my instincts could feel something behind me.

Something was hidden behind a tree and was breathing heavily. I turned away from the enigma and ran forward, jumping over the corpse as I went. I heard large muscle hit the floor behind me, but I didn’t dare look back. Whatever it was, was chasing me, I screamed in frustration as I ran. I should have worked out more, so I could run more naturally, I had already gained a painful stitch.

I dared myself to look back quickly and I saw nothing. I tripped over a root growing in the ground and rolled forward into some rotting leaves. My head smashed off the back of a tree. When I opened my eyes it was there. It stood on its hind legs and its paws dug into the earth. Its yellow eyes looked into mine with a mixture of loathing and happiness. The hunt had ended and the bait was captured. I had nowhere to go, my head was spinning wildly. The creature looked up to the night sky and howled at the moon.

The werewolf turned its attention back to me, I was too anxious to really think about the scientific inaccuracies of the werewolf, I wasn’t even going to go there. I was standing in front of me for God’s sake. The werewolf brought its claw down to meet my head, with that amount of muscle I wouldn’t like to be hit. I rolled to the side quickly, my head beginning to settle.

I couldn’t run yet though, so I stood and began to face the werewolf. The beast simply backhanded me with its claw. Even a werewolf is willing to backhand me, what does that tell you about me? I hit the ground once again, the hit didn’t shatter my spine as I thought it would, but it hurt and enough to keep me down as the werewolf mutilated me. The large jaws were an inch away from my face; I could smell the breath of the beast. It smelled like rotting meat and death.

I heard a gunshot and before the teeth sank into my awaiting flesh, the creature pounced away from me. Three men stood in the shadows, their faces in shadow, but the outlines of their bodies showing in the darkness. They all wore quite cool hats. The werewolf faced them and stepped backwards slowly. The wolf snarled and more shots were fired, even I could tell that the shots weren’t rifles or pistols, they were shotguns. The werewolf lunged for the tree above me and departed for somewhere else, to recover its physical condition. I was about to try and pull myself up off the muddy ground when two of the three men did it for me. The third held out his hand, “welcome to the hunt boy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Welcome to the hunt, hope you like werewolves :)