Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 14: Burning Desire

I walked to the centre of the forest once more. The ashes of the dead were still smoking and the evidence of the fierce battle was still noticeable. The blood stains that soaked the trees and the deep claw marks that injured them took me by surprise in the moonlight. Who the hell was I?

I put the thought to the back of my head. I was a cursed man, but I was determined to change that. If this was the route in life that had been picked for I then so be it. I will take it if it is to be my destiny. I noticed that I was leaving a trail of bodies behind me. The Spartans and the wolf were victims of my wrath. Did that make me a murderer or a savoir? I didn’t want to know, in my opinion there wasn’t much of a difference.

My mind wandered to the look of the man who had been the werewolf. I thought of the things that had passed silently through my mind as I had surveyed him. The sadness in his eyes was the thing I noticed most, this was only because of the wrinkles near the eyes. The wrinkles indicated that the man had smiled a lot during his life. The sadness of man killed me, but he was at peace now. God, that sounds like more of a cliché every time I hear it.
What was I? What had I become? I George Carter had been saved from my self. My own life had been sinking in the sand and I wasn’t going to save it. Henceforth I have been plunged into a world with demons and monsters and unable to escape the inevitable fate of madness. I was an intruder everywhere. I didn’t belong in this time zone; I was an alien in my own rights.

I remembered saying “rest in peace,” as I had burned the bodies. I remembered the feeling as the fire engulfed the corpses, as it purified the last remnants of the souls which had departed from the Earth. The soul is a powerful force; I knew that the souls which had been extinguished hadn’t been directed towards hell they had been directed elsewhere. The demonic curse which poisoned my own soul made me feel angry at that thought.
I noticed a glint buried in the ashes. The ashes were still hot so as I began to reach for the ashes I rolled up the sleeve of my trench coat to pick up the shiny object. I took out a silver bullet from the ashes and pocketed it as a souvenir. As I looked up from the pocket of my trench coat I felt the air change and a portal tore reality its self open and a large form stepped out from the portal.

The demon coughed and giggled and looked up at me inquiringly tilting his head. I nodded, “good evening Damian, it’s a little early to be checking up on me isn’t it?” Damian extinguished the portal and stepped gracefully onto the wet grass, giggling as he did it. “Hehe, well if it isn’t my favourite cursed time travelling human, how about that.”
“What do you want Damian?” I said it innocently but levelled my bloodbringer at the head of the demon. Damian opened his mouth to talk, closed it and then smiled. “That is a pretty gun, but it won’t remove me Georgie, try again.” I sighed and lowered the shotgun. Damian clapped his hands slowly and began to walk around me slowly. “I’ve just come to check up on you human, do you feel a little bit insane yet?” I rolled my eyes, “no, of course not.” Damian giggled, “I told the boss you wouldn’t be, and after seeing a werewolf too, you must be sharp.”

I caught Damian as he walked around me again, revealing his neck. I removed a combat knife which I had been given by Jacob and rested the cold steel against his neck. “Not as sharp as this, buddy.” Damian smiled and closed his eyes and the knife just disintegrated, it just wasn’t there anymore. “For all of your foolishness, you are brave human. I have such a burning desire to harvest you though, you little vermin.” Damian spat onto the grass and as the saliva hit the grass, the grass ignited.

“Vermin, gosh, that hurt you know. Beelzebub gave me 100,000 years to go mad, now didn’t he?” Damian’s eyes flickered from green to orange as I insulted him. “Maybe the boss doesn’t have to find out, one more soul, he isn’t going to miss you Carter.” I was sick of this demon now; he was crazy enough to hold a vendetta against Beelzebub’s will. “Besides, you know what happened last time you broke the rules.”

Damian lunged at me and pinned me to the floor with his weight and his claws at my throat. It seemed that I had struck a nerve. Observing the new scars on Damian’s skin I knew why he held the vendetta. “Don’t you dare speak to me like that again, do you hear me human?” I nodded. “I’m in this as thick as you Carter.” He got up and I shivered. “What do you mean?”
Damian opened his mouth to talk but heard a noise behind him. Another portal had opened and a large set of claws and muscle began to pull Damian in by the leg.

I heard the hammering voice of Beelzebub from the portal. I heard the great demon curse Damian’s name a million times. Damian looked at me, his eyes green again almost pleading. My heart was leaping like a predator as I watched Damian get pulled into the portal for punishment. I have no idea what possessed me to grab onto his claw and allow myself to be dragged back into hell.
Maybe I’m crazy, or maybe I like the thrill. I’ll let you be the judge of that one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, gimme feedback and read on, it helps me a lot!