Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 30: Penny for the guy

There he was, the man himself, in all of his glory.
He was just like the legends described him, reddish brown beard and mustache with matching hair, although you could barely see the hair as it was hidden under the huge hat. He was very well built, he looked as if he had the strength of an ox.
The whole room on English Catholics stared at us as we entered the shack.
"Sorry we're late." I said.
Fawkes sighed, "don't worry, its not like were doing anything important is it?"
As we settled Fawkes turned back to his crowd, "anyway, this will all lead to the assassination of the Protestant scum King James, he will be replaced of course by his daughter princess Elizabeth."

We had walked here, the computer of the Majestic had provided us with sufficient information and a pass-code to the den. The pass-code was 'nitrate', Lloyd and I both thought this was clever as the main ingredient of gunpowder was potassium nitrate, these men were clever.
Of course we had a session where we had to explain all this to Zach who was, to be fair... alien.
We made sure the majestic was cloaked and got the way point off the computer, it lead us here.

Guy Fawkes proceeded.
"Tonight gentlemen, tonight it happens, over the past year we have been plotting this, it has taken hard work and many of our number have been arrested, we will still prosper, England shall be Catholic, gentlemen."
They all cheered, I raised my hand.
Fawkes looked over to me, confused by the alien action, he threw back his head and laughed.
"What are you shaking your arm about for boy?" I sighed, I should have thought.

"I want to ask a question sir." I said.
He looked at the three of us suspiciously, "what be that?"
"Who will be lighting the fuse?"
I asked the question I already knew the answer to but it was stupid, I shouldn't have asked.
Fawkes jumped down from a bale of hay he was standing on.
"Who are you then?"
"My name is..."
Fawkes took out a knife and began to orbit the three of us, slowly.
"I don't like this boss." said Lloyd.
"I don't think were all that safe anymore." said Zach.
"Funny, I ain't never seen you in my clan before, I was suspicious even as you walked through my door."
My eyes darted around the room as torches were lit and sharp objects began to sharpen against the stone walls.
I noticed, to my horror a noose in someones hands.

The whole of the group were now circling us, I suddenly felt small.
"George, I want to get back home tonight." said Zach.
"I know, don't worry, we will." I said.
"KILL THEM!" shouted Fawkes.
He thought we were guards, I stepped back and in one swift motion two of the men who grasped onto me were dead. I saw two silver knives fly toward their destination and two more men fell.
"RUUUUUN!" I shouted.
Lloyd went first, jumping through the window, Zach followed and I stayed behind a second more and shot a couple more men.
The people screamed at the sound of the gun, the gun astounded them and frightened them half to death.
We made our escape.

*

(Fawkes point of view)

That fowl young protestant had caused me a lot of trouble.
When I blew this place he was going to pay.
I lost seven men, including the doorman, the large bald man had stabbed him, we couldn't bring him round, he had shook for a matter of minutes but that was it.
I stood in the room of John Whynniard, it was a dirty unused room, John never used it, I don't think he'd miss it.
I looked upon the result of our hard work, these guards or whoever they were, they were the second hiccup, the first was a rumor, I had heard that a letter had been sent to the king warning him about this moment, they had all failed.
I sat below the final, 36 barrels of gunpowder, I didn't dare light my pipe.

It was a tedious hour leading out the fuse but I managed it.
It had to be long enough for my escape but short enough so it wouldn't take forever to blow. It didn't matter, the job was done.
It really was a great shame, the houses of Parliament were stunning, I wished we had picked another building but whatever Robert Catesby believed was correct.
Robert had lead the group. I was just a simple screw in his machine, they needed my knowledge of weaponry, in this case gunpowder, to make it work.
I took out a match and struck it, the flame wore away quickly but not quick enough, the fuse was lit, I turned around to exit Whynniard's room but I was greeted by a punch in the face from a man who I recognized oh too well.
It was the look in the eye of Sir Thomas Knyvet that told me the plot had failed.

I landed of the floor next to the creeping fuse. I watched in horror as one of the men who defied me earlier stamped out the fuse.
"Good work Zach." said the leader.
Thomas knelt down to the floor, he gripped my throat with his strong hands. For a baron he certainly had a pleased look on his face.
"You murderous bastard Fawkes."
I couldn't speak, I felt sick, I felt like I had let the cause down, they would take me away and torture me... I wouldn't tell them anything.

It wasn't just a fear of my torture that struck me, it was a fear of how well the team of three behind Sir Thomas. They were so efficient, they had the muscle, the brains and the aim.
The aim shook hands with Sir Thomas properly after I was shackled. He introduced himself as Zach Olson, he spoke with a faint American accent, he told Sir Thomas that he was proud to help serve the country.
The muscle was introduced as Lloyd Stark, he was thanked for his performance on the way to the room, he had kicked down my barriers with brute force.
It amused me to see the sweat dripping off his desperate face.
The brains, he confused me most, he was the leader, he was offered a knighthood off his majesty himself but he refused.
He had an odd look in his eye, and a look on his face that told me he was always thinking and was always logical. He scared me more than all of the crap that would happen to me later.
"Goodbye Mr Fawkes." He said, he had an almost emotionless tone to his voice, he was capable of so much emotion but he clearly never agreed with what I had believed in.
That night I was carted off to the tower of London.

I suffered oh yes.
My stunt gone wrong cost me my life but I didn't care, it was for my cause.
My torture was light at first consisting of whippings and beatings but it got worse in ways that I don't want to think about, even now.
My time came in 1606, Monday 27th January to be precise.
I was shaken by then, I had daily punishment, more whippings and beatings, my skin was naught but wounds.
I was taken to Westminster hall where I had my trial, I was placed on a purpose built wooden scaffold, they asked me how I pleaded, "not guilty." I had lied so much, why not some more?
The King and his family watched they all had that posh snobbish look etched on their faces. The outcome was as I expected, I was pronounced guilty, I don't know why I was even asked, I was caught in the act after all.
My date of death was a while after the trial, 31st January 1606, some of my clan who were caught were hanged, drawn and quartered, that was a standard execution, what they had in store for me was different.

I was on my knees, the king was watching, if there was any justice it would have been him here and me in his place.
They were going to cut me up, I knew it.
I was still incredibly weak from the ordeal as I had the noose put around my neck.
It was time, the church bell rang and I attempted to jump away from the gallows, in my struggle I couldn't help notice my small slip, it was too late.
My body hit the wood of the gallows with my neck broken.
With me dead they couldn't put me through any more pain so they cut me up and placed my body parts around the area, I was then Hanged, drawn and quartered even in death justice was served.
I always laughed at that word, justice,there was no such thing.
My story ended that day in 1606, this is Guido Fawkes, confessing my sins for the last time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope everyone enjoys bonfire night, we have a great criminal to thank for it!