Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 61: Motives

The men stood in a thoroughly orderly line, they were all rather huge, I was intimidated by the size of many of the Spartans, they all had larger muscles than I could ever hope of having, I mean come on, its been over a hundred years now, I barely have any muscle, perhaps a hundred years is too much strain than one body alone can handle.
The men were all well disciplined, I watched in amusement like a hawk as the high combat screamed in their ears, it was a terrifying sound, like a war cry, he could clearly be a terrifying man. My opinion was that it was all just an act, the high combat had too much of a fatherly friendly demeanour about him. Even as the soldiers stood and looked at the human in the trench coat, next to a Marzon of all things, I knew instantly who the killer was.
The soldier two from the end on the right of the line, I gave him a slightly patronising look, he was sweating, although it was a hot day on this planet, it wasn’t that hot. Don’t worry, that wasn’t the only evidence I had on the man. Even if no one else saw the obvious, I did. He had scratch marks on his arms, I could tell before he put them behind his back. He flinched slightly as the high combat screamed in his face. It was only fair.

The man was clever, but he was so foolish, like any killer, they get so caught up in the adrenaline rush of the kill, they forget the obvious things. For example, the man who was losing all colour in front of us, the man who was bleeding still from a beating, had a knife missing. I don’t know if the sweating man realised his knife was left at the scene, I didn’t know if there was any way to get a replacement, to be honest, I didn’t care; it just helped my case brilliantly.

He still had his nine millimetre side-arm on his hip, he didn’t look too confident though, but he was still very dangerous. I saw his hand come up to his chest slowly, to where his knife scabbard was, he realised his mistake, and he felt the absence of his knife. He closed his eyes for a second, if it were I, I would be swearing internally.
I was happy that I recognised the killer, he was the guard with the flat nose that we had passed on the way into the high combat’s quarters, and he still had the assault rifle on his back, one of the few men who did have a machine gun. A light bulb pinged inside my head and I realised the man’s motives. I smiled and inclined my head to Sachar. Sachar raised his eyebrows and I nodded to him. He in turn smiled.

The assault rifle was the biggest piece of evidence I had to get this man; the assault rifle’s stock matched shape of the bruises on the Commander’s face, it was the assault rifle’s stock which beat him to death and used to spray his kneecaps. I smiled, “damn, I’m good.” The point at the moment was that the man was still armed and dangerous.
I reached to my hip holsters and took out the two magnum revolvers; I span the cylinders and loaded bullets into them. The soldier seemed to relax at my pause to load my weapon, I never really found out why, the mind of a psychopath I suppose, well one man’s psychopath is another’s freedom fighter, or something like that, I never got the motives these people put fourth.

I think the fact the man relaxed added to the effect.
I brought the revolvers up and for added insult, aimed for the kneecaps. Two shots rang out and Captain Magna Ford fell to the floor screaming. Oh, I don’t want to sound weird but that felt so good, he was a huge guy and a killer too, it felt like the nerdy teenager getting the bully back with a sharp uppercut.
I walked over to the former Captain, my eyes were focused on his own, I saw the hate, anger and fear scream out at me. Out of my peripheral vision I saw the high combat raise his arm to stop the Spartans firing upon me. Captain Ford’s blood was mixing with the dirt, he was gasping for breath. I kneeled down next to the Captain. “Now you have some idea of the pain you caused your brothers and sisters.”

The Spartan spat in my face, I was expecting no different. “Get your face out of mine human.” The high combat joined me, the soldiers close to Ford had taken his guns off him, and they now handed them to me. I observed the assault rifle and smiled, I was right, whoop. The high combat held a pistol to the head of Ford, his expression held no remorse or pity, simply anger and he looked like he was going to be sick.
“Mr. Carter, are you sure Ford is the killer, he is an experienced and dedicated soldier.” I looked up from the assault rifle, “I wouldn’t have shot him otherwise.” Sachar sighed, “George, if you are wrong then you’ll have killed an innocent man.” I raised my eyebrows, “oh, come on, he wont bleed out from those gun shot wounds.” The high combat cleared his throat, “No, Mr. Carter, see the Spartans put criminals on the shooting range and execute them, it’s just our way, if you are unsure, say now.”

“I’m sure.” The high combat nodded, “Let’s see your evidence.” I took the high combat through the evidence and knowledge I had gathered, what I told the gained his support and later on that day, the Captain was executed for treason. The Spartan was racist, racist towards humans in general. My firs real clue was the assault rifle; I have one aboard the Majestic just like it. The assault rifle that Susie had used, I had taken from Massidonia, and it was a Massidonia grade 5 assault rifle, commando class. Dan had used the assault rifle to try and take me down.
The high combat had told me that Dan’s squad was supposed to be made up of four men, he had simply assumed that one of his squad had been killed, but no. Captain Magna Ford had been a secret member of Dan’s squad; the squad had called its self ‘the superior race,’ God, how original. After Ford’s death I had searched his dossier. His record told me that he had taken leave from the encampment to bury his father, that was the amount of time he spent on Massidonia, he then returned as a spy.

He classed his brothers and sisters as traitors, he had learned of the death of Dan and the squad quite recently, he was confused and didn’t know what to do, but he wasn’t going to stop his campaign, the visit from Sachar and your s truly pushed him over the edge, he made up his mind and decided to murder those who had protected the idea of racial equality, those who had protected the humans.

You needn’t worry, I didn’t find out all of that information just by the evidence, once I found out his motives and the murder weapons he was given time to spill all. He had told us his aspirations, things he loved and things he hated. He wouldn’t have us in the room; he spoke to the high combat himself. He didn’t regret anything; he believed that he was fighting for a cause that made sense, mainly because there was a time when all of the Spartans only fought for themselves, they saw themselves as the best race, leaders of the universe. They were all racist, much like racial equality on Earth; the only thing is, for Dan and Captain Ford, post modernism didn’t seem to make any sense to them.
Sachar and I shook hands with the high combat and headed back to the Majestic, I was more than exhausted, my limbs were aching and I felt rather sick. As we approached the Majestic I saw a couple of Spartan’s carry a body bag to a hole in the ground. “Rest in peace, Captain Ford, I said and bowed my head.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading x