Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 71: Luck Foiled

Luck was a thing that never gracefully landed its ass in my life. Today it seemed we had hit the jackpot. I grinned as I looked into the room that Lloyd was gesturing to. The room was filled with pocket watches. We could open another portal and get ourselves and our men out in one go. I hugged Susie tightly, tears forming in my eyes. I sank to the floor in my exhaustion and began to cry.

We decided to let the soldiers go through the portal first. We had after all asked for their service and they had given it, they had done their jobs and well. Plus, we had found something that would keep up interested. “Mind control?” I said to Lloyd. He nodded; we were looking at a notebook we had found in Beelzebub’s quarters. We had known that he was trying for domination of the entire universe, to expand hell as we knew it, but I didn’t think it went as deep as this.

The notebook showed us plans of what Beelzebub was going to do; he planned to enslave the weaker species first. The humans and the Glayains, the Glayains were a peaceful group of creatures that lived much like humans. The only differences were that they looked very much like primates and they had no care for warfare. In the Glayain government, if a disagreement arose between settlements, the leaders must essentially gamble to see who wins the argument. In a way that was a better way of doing things in my opinion, but I can imagine a lot of the Glayains would have gambling problems.

After the other species fell came the more powerful. The Spartans weren’t even at the top of the list, neither were the Atlanticans. The top list consisted of three. The Passivonom clan, they were a bunch of vampires as I had found out a while back, through some heavy research, they lived in a whole world that they saw as a clan, but split off into smaller clans in the same planet. Next was Zvizu, I hadn’t heard of Zvizu, luckily Beelzebub was a little bit of an artist and had provided an illustration. The drawing showed a dragon in all of its glory, the dragon was drawn as a titan, at least twice the size of a skyscraper. Lastly was a name I had heard of on some of the rougher planets, through campfire stories too. There were whispers on Earth also. The scribble simply read; biggest priority, Pandora.

Lloyd smiled, “why look here sir, we have the top three most dangerous beings in the universe.” Susie frowned, “do you think the Pandora’s Box myth is correct, or do you think that is a simple nickname?” I smiled and hugged her, my place on the floor had become very comfortable, I hadn’t paid attention to my fatigue levels and I was suffering for it now. I noticed my speech begin to slur. “To be honest Susie, I don’t want to find out, but I’m guessing that there is some truth in the mythology, there always is.” Lloyd nodded and looked at me with a paternal look in his eyes. He was concerned. I waved a hand at him. “Don’t worry man, I’m fine, I’m just exhausted.” Lloyd checked his heavy gun quickly and threw it away; it had taken quite a beating. “I think we should get back to the ship sir.” I grinned, “what and leave this gorgeous place, no!”

I pulled myself up from the warm floor; I think I smelled more of brimstone than anything else now. I pulled out the page where I had read about the Passivonom, Zvizu and Pandora and pocketed the page. The notepad was thrown in a wall of flame, next to many of the cages. I looked up and spotted a familiar looking human with a black goatee. “Damian?” Lloyd asked. Damian held his arms wide as if he were going to hug Lloyd. Instead he did a little dance, the cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He looked happy, I was happy for him. “Welcome back to reality” I said. Damian chuckled, I was happy to hear that he simply chuckled as opposed to the cackle and giggle he used to have. “We aren’t back to reality yet baby; we’ve got to get out before Xvatier gets here.”

I turned and noticed that almost the full squad of troops had made it through a portal. I looked at Susie and winked. I turned and ran into the room and emerged with a new pocket watch. Lloyd looked confused. I held up my hand to explain. “This watch won’t go through Lloyd, the portal will close and leave the watch here, if I pocket this watch, it will go through with us, as it isn’t serving a purpose, much like if I was carrying a rat.” Susie looked at me almost in awe. “You certainly have a way of saying things.” Her grin was etched on her face, I liked that. I had buried my stump in my pocket along with the new pocket watch. I turned to Damian, “coming back to Earth, as a human not a demon?” Damian nodded and smoothed his black hair over to the side. Set the clock to the 1950’s baby, I want to go and see my wife, New York City baby!”

Thankfully we could get Damian there without getting stranded. I still had the Majestic’s controls in my pocket, I could summon the ship. The girl had no pocket watch attached anymore, so it’s lucky that after we landed, I instructed her to use the remaining time travel juice to park in a time vortex. One last trip she could make, she had been parked there too long. We had taken a while taking apart the time circuits, there had been time for that little tweak.

We said goodbye to Damian, I we got to meet his wife too, lovely woman, I expected her to be more... ah never mind, I won’t judge the former demons character. After all, if it wasn’t for Damian cursing me, a hundred years ago, I wouldn’t have met any of the amazing people I had. There was only one more thing concerning me. Sachar, I hadn’t seen him since he handed me the dagger. Lloyd hadn’t spoken of the brave old Marzon either, which meant I had to assume the worst.

“Lloyd, what happened to Sachar?” We were walking down a road near Central Park; the Majestic was stood at the end of the road, looking all majestic. Lloyd sighed heavily. Susie, who was linking me, looked across to Lloyd too.”The guy didn’t make it, the doorman took him out just a minute after you were handed the dagger. You were handed the dagger and it all kicked off, the doorman ran for Sachar, he saw the exchange, he ran with his blackened sword. I wasn’t fast enough to save the poor guy. I shot him, I shot him good, riddled his body with bullets. That’s when it all went black, someone dropped me from behind, I was knocked out and the gun was on top of me.” I nodded, “you couldn’t get up.” Lloyd rolled his shoulder, “I wasn’t strong enough, I will be next time, I swear.”

Lloyd needed rest, we all did. We entered the Majestic and I smiled. The decor and furniture had become familiar to me. Over one hundred years, it had never become dull; I hadn’t changed much, only the electronics. The computer welcomed us and I sank into the chair, Susie sat on my lap. We had lost many that day. But we had won the battle. Our nemesis was dead, but something seemed wrong. We got off too easy. That was when it all went to hell; I wish we could have prepared for what happened next. Truth was, Beelzebub had, and he was clever as hell, no pun intended.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading this chapter, next chapter is the chapter that I've been itching to write for ages. Please comment and or subscribe.