Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 72: Space is Dead

As the three of us sat by the fire chatting, I couldn’t stop thinking that there was something wrong. I began to get up from my chair, but from the corner of my eye I noticed Susie fall out of hers in a dead faint. Lloyd and I jumped up and tried to revive her. I held her in my arms whilst Lloyd confirmed she just needed rest. He went to get her some sleeping pills from the kitchen, which was when she chose to talk to me. “George, the prophecy, I can feel it, you have altered it significantly.” I smiled, “yeah, that’s good isn’t it?” Susie shook her head and her eyes closed.

“LLOYD!” Lloyd raced in from the kitchen and faced me, confusion etched on his face. He had changed into a blue suit with a red tie, away from the blood splattered metal suit. “What is it sir?”
I couldn’t say anything; I just stared at him in shock. Lloyd was a fast and clever man; he knew what to say and what to ask. “What do you need?” Th-th the pocket watch” I stuttered. Lloyd ran to the cargo hold and grabbed the watch. I grabbed Susie and carried her in my arms. When I carried her to the cargo hold, I almost dropped her frail body in shock, the last obstacle stood in the cargo hold, just in front of Lloyd who stood with the pocket watch, looking as dazed as I was.

“Glad you could make it Mr. Carter” said Xvatier. The new Beelzebub sat in my cargo hold surrounded by barrel after barrel of my fuel. Carbane’s fuel is the best, it can even burn in space, and it doesn’t need oxygen to keep the fire burning away. The prophecy showed me that, it showed me very clearly. “Xvatier, what are you doing?” I asked, even though I knew damn well what the demon was doing. Xvatier jumped down from a barrel he was lounging on; in his hand he held a detonator. “Complements of my father Carter, you and Stark, as well as your lady here, will perish this day.” He gestured proudly at the fuel. Lloyd shook his head, “I thought you wanted your father dead?” Xvatier nodded, “we made a pact, I have to live up to it. My father always knew how to control me, this is his last laugh. He knew there was a possibility of his death, even if it was a small one, in exchange for money and a little power, I had agreed to take you and your companions out, if he died.”

Lloyd looked to the floor. I could tell he wasn’t upset or angry, he wasn’t even afraid. He was cursing himself for not realising it sooner. He was the most modest man I had met. We needed someone modest, as I certainly wasn’t. I took out my old captain’s pistol and pointed it at Xvatier. I had lost my revolvers on the way back from the underworld. The pistol certainly got a reaction from Xvatier. “See, I have done my research Xvatier, I know that you don’t come into your power for a very long time. What is it, a month?” Xvatier nodded, he had a vicious look on his face. Lloyd raised his head, “so you aren’t immortal yet.” Xvatier sniffed.
He shook his head; a grin was spreading across his face. He waved the detonator in his hand. “Good thing is, neither are you, not anymore.” Xvatier pressed the detonator, I didn’t act quickly enough, and I fired a shot and missed. Xvatier had time to press a button on a device on his wrist, he disappeared. “Damn, he’s gone.” I nodded, “we’ve got to get out of here.”

Then the beeping started, we looked at each other and then sprinted the opposite direction, towards the cockpit. We managed to close the heavy iron doors leading to the cockpit, and then all hell broke loose. The explosion was deafening. Carbane’s fuel blew the whole of the back of the Majestic apart. We rushed towards the very front of the ship and entered the cockpit, huddled together in fear. There was another explosion, this time closer. The lights went out, I lowered my head in shame as I realised what had happened.

The engine had blown out; I could see it outside of the ship. The engine was the only thing keeping us alive; it was the only possibility of our survival. The engine kept the electricity running, which kept the life support running. Susie woke up; I explained the situation to her. I couldn’t tell but I think she was trying to fight back the tears, but failing horribly. It was my turn, “Lloyd, Susie, God I’m sorry, I brought you into this shit...” I began to sob. When I looked over to Lloyd he nodded and sniffed. The big man was crying, that was painful, Lloyd had always been the one with all of the confidence.

He looked up to me when other people didn’t. He realised our fate. There was another explosion and we looked out to see the entire back end of the ship, simply float off into space. The explosion had lit up the cockpit for a second, that’s how we could tell it was getting closer. It gave me a glance at my friends. The last thing I would know of them would be their tear streaked faces.

Lloyd sniffed and put a hand on my shoulder. “It’s been an honour sir.” I looked at Lloyd and hugged the big man. He chuckled, “I suppose I always wanted to go down in style.” Lloyd had, for the last time, regained his composure. He could see honour in his end; he could see the victory of what we had done. I looked at Susie, our noses touched and our lips brushed together. She shivered. “I love you George Carter.” I smiled and whispered in her ear; “I love you too Susie Lou.”

Then the explosion took the cockpit.

We were flung out to space, the last of the oxygen that we were labouring to reserve, was lost. We held hands when we were flung; I felt the pressure begin to take me. My trench coat had fallen off me, I hadn’t noticed. It had fallen off me in the cargo hold. I could just see the trench coat burn up in the flames. Something flew out of Lloyd’s pocket, I was too far gone to realise what it was. I closed my eyes for the last time, my girl, the Majestic, had been through much. Now she burned. This was her final resting place.

Space is dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, I've been waiting so long to write that chapter, next the aftermath.

Please subscribe and or comment