Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 9: No escape

Beelzebub stood up again; a single movement from the king of the demons drew all eyes in the courtroom to him. Beelzebub was like the stereotype suggests. His skin was of a rich red colour and his horns curved to the side, unlike the rest of the demons whose horns curved upwards or downwards. The most impressive thing about Beelzebub though, was his height and his posture. Beelzebub stood erect, as if he were a soldier and he stood about ten feet tall.

Beelzebub cleared his throat and Iliana grasped my hand so tightly that it hurt. Beelzebub addressed me. “George Carter, Planet Earth, aged 19, correct?” I nodded; my mouth was open in disbelief. What the hell was I here for, why was this happening, why did I deserve this? I looked over my life in my mind, it all seemed so boring. I hadn’t done anything significant in my life and all of the people who were close to me were depressed by my presence. It was time to start again, but what a place to start. “That’s me your honour.” The whole courtroom straightened up and drew in breath, eyes filled with nervous tension.

Beelzebub sneered. “Ah yes, quite the funny one you are Carter, quite surprising really, for a human. Beelzebub looked to a balcony high above us and smiled. I noticed about a dozen archers there, each archer with a finely crafted bow and no doubt arrows of the same quality. I closed my eyes and began to breathe slowly, the tight grip on my hand had not ceased. “Fire when ready archers” Beelzebub roared. My eyes flicked open and my ears caught the sound of arrows being removed from their sheaths.

I said it quietly and patiently, with grim determination and authority accompanying my voice. “No.” Beelzebub held up his claw to the archers, his reaction was that of fascination. The arrows were drawn back to their owners and put away until they were called upon again. Iliana began to cry. When a woman begins to weep I begin to feel uncomfortable and begin to feel empathy for her and anger for the person who dared to make her cry. It’s just one of these things built into my D.N.A. “What did you say, human child?” said Beelzebub quietly.
“You can’t do this, my soul is my own, and I have already been cursed by Damian.”

I gestured to where Damian sat; he giggled and did not look up at me. “Your hit man failed to kill me tonight too, so I think I’ve won my soul as I came out of that fight alive.” I gestured at Death who folded his arms and crossed his right leg over his left. Beelzebub took in a breath and a flaming pitchfork appeared in his hand. Beelzebub stepped from his throne and my thumping heart began to make me feel sick. Beelzebub walked over to Damian and shoved the pitchfork through his guts and threw him to the other side of the room.

Damian landed and began to giggle in the corner. Blood trailed away from Damian but he actually managed to stand. “You fool, you were terminated from your adventurous schemes, why did you take on a last, and this one could ruin me.” Damian giggled and faced Beelzebub, “for eternity, imagine how long he may last master.” Damian sank to his knees giggling even louder, tears emerging from his eyes. Beelzebub kicked him twice and walked back over to the throne casually.

Beelzebub turned to his demon guard. “Chain him up and begin the process.” The guards grabbed Damian and he was removed from the room. “Mister Carter, apologies for this mix up. Damian is known for his creative ways of harvesting the human soul. We stopped that programme. Death was supposed to kill you and take your soul that way. As a way of compromise you may have 100,000 years on that futile planet you call Earth, we shall not disturb you any more till after that time.”

“We don’t live as long as 100,000 years,” I said. Beelzebub nodded his understanding. “You won’t be able to die; our power enables you to avoid death through age. Bodily harm will heal a hundred times quicker than a regular human and you are resistant to disease. Keep our curse, you may go mad eventually, I want to make sure I don’t miss a chance.”

I laughed; I had just been given an opportunity in disguise here, immortality. I was aware that every day I lived, Damian would be tortured. He wasn’t my problem. “I bet you don’t last a hundred years” said Beelzebub. “I bet you I do.” Beelzebub pondered this for a moment. “If you do, I’ll give you your weight in gold.” I nodded, “deal, can we go home now?” Beelzebub nodded and waved his claw at us impatiently. He stood up and I felt Iliana hug into me. He left the room and Damian’s screams matted the air. A portal had appeared behind us and we stepped into it.

We were transported back to Earth, year 1985, I was home. I could still hear Damian’s screams fresh in my head. A kiss from Iliana brought me back down to Earth. I turned to her, surprised and smiling. "So Iliana, who are you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading, please please please comment!