Status: just starting.

Firework Eyes

Something

It suits her, Vic thought as they walked inside.

He had been here thousands of time but never really noticed. The wooden floors were worn from years of use but kept clean and polished. The furniture was simple, but elegant. The walls were a plain white. It could have seemed bare and uncomfortable but then you noticed the pictures on the walls, the toys in the corner, the little things that let a person know that whoever lived there loved their home. She was like that. On first glance she was cold and impersonal but then you got to know her and you loved her. You couldn't help it.

"I want a story," Zach demanded as they reached his room.

The walls were a dark blue and covered in the planets and rockets that he loved.

"Ok, one story and then it's time to sleep," Alexa said.

He nodded and climbed into his bed.

"Do you want to help?" she asked, turning to Vic.

"I'll listen," he replied sliding down the wall to the floor. He watched as she went to the small bookshelf in the corner of the room and picked a book. It was faded and on the verge of falling apart. He knew the book without having to get close. He smiled, closing his eyes and listening to her read Where the Wild Things Are. She stretched it out, making the telling longer than necessary. By the time she read the last line Zach was already asleep. Vic stood up as quietly as possible. Alexa put a finger to her lips as they crept out of the room.

They walked across the hall to her room. She opened the door and ushered him in. Her walls were pale blue, Robin's egg she liked to say. There was her bed, a dresser, a small tv stand, a bookshelf and a desk. The desk sat under her window and was used more as easy access to crawl in and out of her house than for studying. She sat on the bed and he started to sit on the chair when she patted the space across from her. He sat and she pressed the triangular button on the stereo beside her bed. The music was unintrusive but noticeable all the same. He recognized The Beatles and smiled. I should ask her, he thought as she leaned against the headboard.

"What did you want to say earlier?" he asked.

She had shut her eyes but now they snapped open looking at him intently. He could tell she was thinking but about what he didn't know.

"Actually, it was nothing," she shrugged. It was a careful, timed movement.

"Ok," he nodded. To push her would prove pointless. She was stubborn.

"Well, I guess I should take off then," he added after a moment.

"Are you sure?" she asked, standing up as he did.

"Yeah, I have to get up and work tomorrow," he answered.

She walked him to her front door where they hugged and at the last moment she kissed his cheek quickly.

"Good night Vic," she said, smiling as he stumbled out her front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
that took a while to post actually.
I'm watching The Tribe and even though
this does not pertain to my story I think you should
all go watch it because it makes me very happy.
but yes, second installment. please enjoy.