‹ Prequel: The Perfect Storm
Status: Active; Comments, please?

Love of the Undead

Chapter Three: No … It’s Just Not Possible!

“Hey, Melody,” Sophie says, hugging me as she entered my home. It was interesting how I still had my house, along with Kevin still having his. “How have you been? We haven’t talked since your wedding.”

“Good, I guess. I’ve just been feeling really sick lately.”

“When did that start?”

“Once we got back. I think it’s just stress.”

“Or, maybe you’re pregnant.

“WHAT?!!!” I nearly yell. “H-how do you know?”

“I’m a Witch. I just know stuff. Besides, I’ve been pregnant before, too. Remember?” Sophie says, laughing slightly. “Little Allie’s already starting to walk.”

“Why did you name your daughter after Alison?”

“Alison and I were very close. It only made sense to name my baby girl after her. Duncan likes the name, too.”

“But, I highly doubt that I’m pregnant.”

“When was your last period?”

I was caught off guard with that question. I start counting the days off, realizing that my period is over a week late.

“No, I-I can’t —”

“Melody, relax, it’s not a big deal. You love Kevin, don’t you?”

“Of course I love him,” I say, rolling my eyes. “But, I-I’m not ready to have a kid.”

“Melody, why are you so scared?”

“Because, there’s too much going on! With the Demolfs alone! I can’t be pregnant! I’ll be helpless!” I say, feeling tears sting my eyes. “Kevin won’t be any help, too! He’ll be so busy trying to keep me away from the Demolfs …”

“Wow, Melody, you really thought this through.”

“I was hoping to start a family with him. But, you know, only once everything calmed down.”

“Come on, let’s go buy some pregnancy tests,” Sophie says, grabbing my hand and pulling me along behind her.

♠ ♣ ♠

“Well?” Sophie asks excitedly.

“I’m pregnant,” I say dazedly. “I’m gonna be a mother.”

“Oh, that’s great, Mel!”

“No, it’s not! I can’t do this! I have to do abortion!”

“NO!!!” Sophie yells, alarmed. “You can’t do that! Come on, Mel, I know you want this baby!”

“Yeah, I guess,” I grumble.

“Just because the Demolfs are here, doesn’t mean you should let them control your life.”

“Yeah, but, I’m a target. I don’t wanna endanger my baby,” I say, looking down at my stomach sadly. “It’s not like I can hide it, though.”

“You still have Kevin’s clothes, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Just wear those once you start showing,” Sophie says, shrugging. “Look, I’ll make you a deal. You don’t do abortion, and I won’t tell Kevin.”

“Fair enough,” I say, shrugging. “But you can’t tell anyone. No one at all.”

♠ ♣ ♠

I had been wearing Kevin’s clothes recently. I was definitely showing. But, his clothes helped hide my belly. I was daydreaming about this baby, trying to decide on a name. I wonder if it’s a boy or girl?

“Hey, Sophie, what would Alison have named a daughter?” I ask absentmindedly, staring off into space.

“Kendall,” she says immediately.

“Hmm … that’s pretty …” I say dreamily.

“Melody, are you feeling okay?” Kevin asks, as he comes toward the dinner table. He pecks my lips, pulling me out of my reverie. “You seem kinda out of it.”

“Umm … sorry. I … just started thinking about …” I look around for a lie. Newspaper? Demolfs? Murder? Yep. There we go. “That article in the newspaper. It has Demolf written all over it.”

“You’re a horrible liar,” Kevin murmurs in my ear. Damn it. He knows me too well. “What are you hiding?”

“Nothing.”

Kevin stares me down, but I stay strong. I wasn’t giving in this time. I’m not telling him that I’m pregnant. Even though he’d be the first I told. I mean, he’s the dad!

“Melody.”

“Nothing.”

“Melody, do you really wanna play this game?” Kevin murmurs in my ear. Crap. He’s going to be regretting this. I know it! “Are you gonna tell me now?

“Nope,” I say, standing up, quickly walking away. I can’t tell him. I can’t tell anyone. That would ruin everything. The Demolfs would be even more determined to kill me.

Once I made it to my house, I slammed the door shut, locking it tight. I slid down the door, feeling tears sting my eyes. Gosh, I hated this. I hated being hunted. I hate the fact that I’m the reason Alison’s dead. Now, Kevin’s head is wanted because I’m married to him. Not to mention that my baby’s in danger because I’m its mother! Why can’t my life ever be normal anymore?!

Maybe this isn’t worth it. Maybe I should just do abortion so that I don’t have to worry about my baby dying in the hands of those damned Demolfs. But, isn’t abortion just like murdering it? Gosh, this is so confusing!

I want this baby. I love it already and I’m only two months in! I think I’m two months in. I’m not really sure. I never saw a doctor. It was too risky that a Demolf would find out. Or, worse, Kevin.

I love Kevin, but him and Alison are too much alike. He’d never let me leave Fallen. He’d never leave Fallen. I’m not scared that he wouldn’t love this baby as much as me. I’m scared that he’ll be so busy trying to protect us … that he’ll be risking his life, while I’m stuck here taking care of it. I mean, I’m going to be getting fat. What if he doesn’t find me attractive anymore?

Why does Sophie care so much about this baby, anyway? Something’s up with that alone. Something suspicious. David, too. I’ve been noticing that he’s been following me around lately. I mean, it’s like he’s taken Alison’s place as my Guardian.

Gosh, Alison. Just thinking about her makes tears pour out of my eyes. She sacrificed herself to save all of us. Again. She killed the King of the Demolfs to protect us. But what does he do? Rises up from his damned grave! Alison died for nothing! You want to the worst part about that? She’s never coming back. Ever. I watched my little sister die for nothing.

Alison probably did something that most of us could only imagine doing. She sacrificed everything. She gave up Martin. She gave up her kids; Jesse, Scarlett, Mary, Alec, and little baby Drew. She gave up all her friends, the rest of her family. She made the ultimate sacrifice. Her very own life. All to save everyone. Not just everyone on Fallen, either. No, it was so far beyond what I even thought Alison was capable of. The entire world.

Just when everything was going right for her, too. Donovan had finally gotten over his obsession to help with his own kids — and trying to win her over in the process. He focused and tried to stay on task with this one. Then Alison kills herself. Now, he keeps to himself, obviously having flashbacks from Katharina. He took Jesse and Scarlett, too. But, they break apart from him often to spend time with their little sisters and brother.

We all help out with them. Even Raine. It seems like she helps out the most with them. Almost like she feels guilty.