Status: Active :)

Tales of the Amerrickan dream

002.

Mariah woke up in a soft huge bed, under a window. The light was streaming through the curtains, hitting her directly in the eye. Sighing, she climbed out of bed, checking the green illuminating light, flashing from the bedside table. Eleven-Thirty-four. She was adorned in jewellery and was still wearing her slutty clothes. Her feet ached as she tip-toed out of the bedroom and down the hall into what she thought was the lounge room.

Noise was coming from the next room so she held her breath as she clutched the door handle, turning it and pushing it open. Alex greeted her on the other side; he was sitting at the table, a magazine in front of him, a tall lanky boy on his left and a buff curly blond on his right. “Good Morning Mariah, did you sleep well?” Alex asked; a genuine look across his face. She nodded, standing awkwardly to the side, feeling very exposed.

“Yes, thank you” she mumbled.

“You can sit if you like. I won’t bite” the lanky boy grinned. She took his advice and pulled out the seat closest to her, direct Alex. “I’m Jack” he stuck out his hand but it didn’t reach her.
“Uh Hi Jack” she said awkwardly.

Alex cleared his throat. “Forget about him. That’s Zack. I need to talk to you, in private” he said, pointing to the curly buff guy then standing up. “Don’t touch anything Jack” he ordered, walking out of the room, Mariah on his heels. They walked up into her room, where he lazily sat on her bed, patting the spot next to him. She hesitantly took the seat; his eyes were dark and serious. “Mariah. Why are you homeless? Please tell me, I want to help you”

An audible sigh escaped her lips. Her story wasn’t very exciting, but it was painful for her, very painful. “I ran away” she mumbled. He looked at her, curious as to why and willing her to keep going but she didn’t. “I’m sorry I should leave. Thank you for letting me stay here last night” she stood up, shuffling around his room to find her shoes.

“Mariah, sit” he said sternly, she nodded, doing as she was told. “Don’t leave. Tomorrow we are going to get you a real job” she nodded slowly, her mind was going crazy. Why was this very attractive man, much older than her doing this to help her? Why would anyone want to help her? “First I need to know, do you have anywhere to stay at all?” she shook her head. “Then it’s settled. You will stay here” she opened her mouth to protest but stopped at the last minute. She was grateful. “Secondly, how old are you?”

“Sixteen” he nodded, deep in thought. “But the club think I’m older and my boss. I pass as eighteen” she admitted quietly.

“Do you have clothes?” she shook her head

“Well, I do but it’s all very slutty” she mumbled. Alex nodded, leaving the room then appearing again with some clothes.

“Get dressed; we’re going shopping then to court so I can be your legal guardian”

“Why are you so nice?” she mumbled, not meaning for him to hear her. He chuckled softly pulling her into an awkward yet reassuring hug.

“It wasn’t right seeing you there” she nodded, finding this an acceptable answer.
“Who were they? In the kitchen” she asked, he grinned telling her about his life, his band. They said goodbye to Jack and Zack then got in Alex’s audi. Mariah was feeling much more comfortable in a pair of Alex’s black skinny jeans that were a little bit big but would do and a Glamour Kills shirt with his old nike airs.

The ride to the mall was quiet, Alex softly sung along to the mix CD and Mariah looked out the window. The only time she ever went to the mall was to buy lingerie. Alex took her hand as they walked around the mall, pulling her into shop after shop. At last he was satisfied with his purchases for her, walking into the food court he looked at her. “What do you want to eat?” she shrugged, she wasn’t particularly hungry.

“I usually have maccas just before my shift at the strip club, and then I don’t eat again until the next day”

“That’s unhealthy” he chastised her quickly before continuing. “How about we go to IHOP then I make you a homemade dinner tonight” she grinned, she hadn’t had a homemade dinner in so long, but the thought of the man standing next to her, cooking, was to funny.
“You can cook?” she asked, laughing. He nodded, proudly. “Okay, but only if you wear an apron”

“Come on, let’s get out of here” he mumbled, taking her shopping and walking away at a speed that made her run after him.

~~

The courthouse, oh how Mariah was familiar with this place. Her mother was an ex cop, now alcoholic and her Father was a forensic investigator. Leading the way, she dragged Alex into the courtroom, smiling when she saw the familiar face sitting in the witness stand. “Mama Heather” she grinned, hugging the elder woman who had climbed down to give the girl a hug. “Why were you sitting in the Witness stand?” she asked, her eyebrows knitting in confusion.

“No reason love, how have you been? Who is this?” she asked, raising her eyebrows at Alex as he awkwardly stood behind them.

“This is Alex, he took me off the streets and bought me clothes and is gonna help me get a real job. Mama, a real job” she grinned. Alex stepped forward, shaking her hand.

“I want to be Mariah’s guardian” he said, Heather looked him over, her eyes squinting as she scrutinized the boy.

“Well” she said at last, taking her seat. “Alex, go stand in the hall way I have to talk to Mariah, then I will talk to you”. Alex did as he was told and once the door was shut Judge Heather asked Mariah one question.

“Does he know your story?”

xx

Alex held the piece of paper, declaring he was Mariah’s new guardian in his hand, a proud smile adorning his face. His band members and parents were gathered around the backyard, chatting mindlessly. Zack and Jack were throwing a football to each other, Rian and Matt were discussing the next tour and how Mariah would be able to go and Alex was talking to his parents, Mariah at his side. “Does Lisa know about this?” his father asked, his disapproving tone scared Mariah. Alex shook his head.

“Lisa doesn’t need to know dad we broke up remember” Alex clenched his fists as his father began talking again.

“Such a pity too, I always liked that girl. Why did you ever let her go?” he asked, rhetorically.
“She cheated on me remember” Alex replied, his tone was cold and his eyes were narrowing.

“Well maybe if you had a proper job and supported her she wouldn’t have to” his father spat at him, Mariah was getting uncomfortable. His mother grabbed her hand, pulling her away.
“Sorry about that, Peter and Alexander have their little arguments” she laughed, a very forced laugh. Mariah nodded, and forced a smile. “So dear, tell me about yourself. Alexander seemed very fond of you; you are almost his good deed”.

“Your son is a great man, taking me in like he has” Mariah agreed, nodding her head. “But my story is like every other. I had a fight with my parents and ran away. I never went home” if only it was that simple, she thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry this took forever.