That's Just the Way the Wind Blows

Just Like the Rain

The daughter of a rich dude, that's all anyone ever saw her as. Never as the brilliant young mind she really was, but as the rich guy's only daughter. She loved to sing. She loved to laugh, to have fun. She also loved art. But no one saw her as that, only the rich guy's daughter.

She could have had any guy she wanted, but her money always did the work. She was so sick and tired of it. She wanted a man, that would see her for herself; that would want her, because of who she was, not her father.

She wanted to finally be able to do something on her own. Not something her dad could get by bribing others.

Until then, she was stuck doing everything she hated. Not making her own life, not fending for herself, always having her father on her back for everything.

He had a reason, though, for everything he did. Her mother had died a few years ago in a car accident. This was why he never gave her freedom.

To help her cope with her mother's death and her father's overprotective ways, she went out on drinking binges. Always wanting to meet new people to forget everything, if only for a short while.

While walking home from the club she normally did, she tripped. Struggling to get back up, after landing on her ankle harshly, she fell again. Upon closer examination, she saw that the heel of her shoe was broken.

"Stilettos really are great, aren't they," she thought.

She tried getting up again, but collapsed. The weight of her body was too much for her injured ankle to carry. Soon, she gave up.

She glanced up at the moonlit skies, and the twinkling stars. The street lamp up ahead was casting a yellowish flood of light onto the street below.

She was thinking about her life, how anyone could have been so unfortunate as to deserve a life like hers. She had always distanced herself from people that had only tried to help. Albeit unsuccessfully, of course. Maybe she was afraid that her father's fame and fortune would only make them use her. It had happened often enough already.

If she had a new life; if she could start over again, she'd pretend not to have a father, to make her way into this world. That way, people would like her for herself. It always made her sick to her core when her friends started boasting about how rich she was, how she "has more money than your parents could make in a lifetime."

These thoughts were too much. The rain started falling at about the same time her tears did. The wind started up, and she was chilled to the bone. Her thin jacket covering her chest did nothing to help.

Her hair was whipping around her in a frenzy. As she reached up to tuck it behind her ears, she saw flashes of white coming from the lamppost. Curiosity struck. She limped towards it, her ankle feeling a little better than before. As she got closer, the flashes of white seemed to consist of other colors as well.

When she got to the point where she could make it out clearly, she could see that the flash of white was really a ribbon billowing in the wind. Someone had pretty much super-glued one of its corners to the lamppost. The splashes of color came from the smudging ink that decorated it. In the middle of the ribbon was a phrase.

Run, run, run away. Come again another day

As childish as it may seem, to her, it made perfect sense. Rain, rain go away was also a perfectly legit phrase, seeing as she was quite wet.

Just as she was thinking that, she realized she wasn't alone anymore. Sometime while she had been looking at the ribbon, a man had seen her. She had stepped into the light, trying to see what the white flashes had been.

He was a tall, and handsome man, from what she could make out of him. She looked at him with her watchful eyes. Suddenly, he made a move. It seemed as if he were going over to talk to her. When he got close enough, he looked at her, seeing that she needed help. He offered to take her to the coffee shop on the corner of the street. It was a pretty well traveled route, so her doubts of being kidnapped vanished.

She had always wanted to runaway, but she never knew if she wanted to come again. She took the man's outstretched hand, and he pulled her up. Judging by the man's facial expression, her gut feeling, and the warmth of the man's hand, she knew she was safe. Most of all, she knew that her future was most definitely a bright one.