Odin's Chains

Chapter Three; In the name of God and Odin

Snarling woke me the next day. I remember wondering why I was hearing snarling, rather than Omen’s furious threats. Opening my eyes, I stared at a small human girl. She was shaking at Lorato’s pant leg, absolutely terrified of the large black dog snarling at her. Lorato held onto her tightly, looking nervous. He was slowly backing them toward the door, as if afraid – with a sound mind, really – that the beast would attack them. Looking at the clock, I saw it was only noon and groaned.
What the hell is he doing up at this hour? What Singer is up before six?
“That’s quite enough, Omen.” I said firmly. I was, to say the least, furious at him. Growling at a human child!
She’s probably the boy’s bound, to think about it. Her soul is in limbo.
Omen looked up at her, exasperated, but he stopped growling.
“Oh! Thank God you’re awake!”
The words were so out of place I thought for a second I was mishearing him. Then I saw the Catholic cross dangling from his chest.
“You’re Catholic?” I asked, sitting up.
I’ve never heard of something so blasphemous! A Necromancer – Catholic!
He tensed. “Yes, yes I am.” He eyed my necklace of Odin. It was of a winged man intricately bound in chains. It was pure black obsidian stone, unpainted. “And I won’t apologize for not following the old Pagan gods of Japan.”
Why the hell would I care about the Japanese gods?
Then he smiled. “Although, I don’t believe Satan is a Japanese god.”
“What the hell does that have to do with things?” I demanded, furious. “Don’t get that bastard involved, boy.”
He blinked, looking surprised. “You’re not a Satanic worshiper?”
“What an insult!” I stood up, disregarding my skimpy clothing. “Me? Follow a minor god and his foolish brother? Why the hell would I focus on gods of-“
The girl put her finger to her mouth. She blinked once to reveal black eyes without pupils. Satanic marks glowed around her right eye, down her left arm and on both her ankles. They were probably along her spine, too.
Demon!
Then, she blinked and it was all hidden.
She’s hiding it from…Lorato?
“Gods of what?” He sounded confused and troubled.
“Oh. I’m sorry.” I shook my head. “I have no belief in the Catholic – God or Satan. This amulet isn’t Satan; it’s of Odin, a completely different god altogether.”
“Really?” He blushed. “Oh. I’m sorry. You just seemed like you were going to chagrined me for abandoning the Japanese gods.”
I smiled smoothly, trying to understand. “That’s your own choice; if you don’t believe, that’s not your fault.”
He blinked.
“Your parents should have brought you up properly.”
Why not test the boy?
He sighed, shaking his head. “Never mind; just keep a muzzle or something on your dog. He nearly bit my god-child.”
I stared at him, confused.
“You know, a child you take care of whenever the parents aren’t able to, or if the parents die, you become the legal guardian of.”
“Americans are so strange…”
Humans are morons, but they at least have some civil qualities. My parents tossed me at Odin’s feet…
I shivered. Then I stifled a yawn; morning was not my thing.
He laughed. “Cold? Maybe it’s the outfit.”
He was actually trying very hard not to stare at the low-cut red nightgown that barely covered me.
My cheeks grew hot. “Shut up. I wasn’t expecting to find you in my room first thing.”
“Never mind. Just make sure your dog doesn’t hurt Tierra. She’s easily frightened.”
Easily frightened my ass; the girl probably tried to murder me in my sleep!
“He’s just doing his job. I was asleep, so his order would be to protect me from everybody until I was awake enough to say otherwise.”
There is no other possible explanation; the boy thinks he’s human.
“Hey…I was wondering if your parents ever prayed to Amaterasu. I do follow the Japanese gods…and she requires at least a daily prayer.”
He blinked. Then he nodded. “Yes. They did it in front of a wolf statue.”
“Did they keep it here, by and chance?”
“Yeah; it’s down in the basement. That’s where they did most of their praying. I found it strange, because I always thought she was a sun goddess.”
“She is. That’s why you pray where it’s dark; you can really appreciate her.”
“Whatever.” He began to lead you out. When Omen followed, he paused. “Oh…the dog stays in here you outside.”
I turned to Omen and traced the command signal to allow him to travel freely between worlds. Out loud, I said the Japanese word for stay “Taizai Omen” and left him there.
“What was with all the fancy hand work?” He asked as we walked down the stairs into the kitchen.
“I train different than you do. All I did was use the Japanese character for stay.”
He shrugged. “Want something to eat?”
“After I pray.” I noticed the sun was up.
He’s going to be pissed.
I couldn’t believe I was doing this during the day.
How am I going to make it through a human day? I hate daylight…
He grabbed something to eat; I couldn’t really name what it was, but I knew I wouldn’t be eating it anytime soon. It was hard and flat with purple stuff on the top. Inside was goo of some kind.
“Ugh! That’s nasty!” I nearly blanched.
He looked surprised. “It’s just a pop tart…”
“Ewe…”
He shook his head. “What the hell do you eat for breakfast?”
“It’s usually steamed rice and anko with a little green tea.” I said it like it was the only way to eat.
Man, if only I had a chance to actually eat everyday like that. Hell, if I went a week of eating more than once, I would gain ten pounds!
“You’re traditional all the way, aren’t you?” His voice suggested I was insane or weird, but he led me down to the basement anyway, pointing out where the statue was. “Just don’t take forever. That place isn’t always safe; there are snakes and spiders, and I know how consumed you guys become when you pray to your gods and goddesses.”
“I’ll try not to, but I’m not rushing my faith.” He opened his mouth, as if to protest. I waved my hand and demanded “Do you I tell you to rush yours?”
He sighed, shaking his head, and walked back up the stairs. Looking around, I spotted what I was after. In the middle of the room was a huge altar engraved with a prayer. Upon it stood a standing wolf in battle position, snarling down at the prayer.
How did he mistake this for the peaceful Amaterasu’s altar? The sun goddess of Japan may be jealous and vain, but she wishes to give life with the rays of the sun, not force submission to her subjects.
Then I shook my head and approached. I guess it didn’t matter. As long as I prayed, received a blessing and possibly new orders from Odin, I didn’t really care. I got onto my knees and bowed my head. Omen was suddenly beside me. In his jaws was my offering bowl and bloodletting blade. Muttering the prayer on the altar without looking – I knew it by heart – I put my hand over the bowl, the blade of the dagger in my palm and pressed just enough to draw a steady trickle of blood.
Dark, thick power whirled around me. I felt charged, alive. My heart pounded in time with the steady rise of power. He was waiting, I knew. Then I recited the Summoning spell in Necromancer. I added the names of the gods of this world. Even the Christian God was a jealous, selfish one, and would have no prayers to other gods reach their ears without mentioning his name.
“Under the will of God and Satan, my soul cries to the god Odin. In his name I do pray. My soul is his to take. My mind is his to shape. His command is my will. In the name of God and Odin, let it be so.”
The pressure from the power rose until I struggled for a moment to breathe. Omen disappeared. I let the dagger fall, and the wound on my hand healed to a white, thin scar. Odin’s power swallowed all thoughts but of him. The sound of stone moving, then of claws scraping stone, didn’t surprise me. I waited, head bowed. I wouldn’t look at him, for it was a form of Odin.
The voice that spoke was deep and full of a constant growl. “I heed your call, my Chosen. I grant you the blessing you seek.”
“I am eternally grateful my Lord.”
“Now…what is your mission status?”
This wasn’t easy; he wasn’t going to like the news. But she knew she must speak; there was no way around it.
“Lorato was raised human, Lord. He has no idea of his power or pledge, or that it exists.”
There was a furious snarl. I flinched inwardly, but otherwise didn’t move. It was dangerous to show my fear for him.
I waited for him to calm down. Then he settled in to think. He answered in steely cold voice.
“Convert him, Rift. If you cannot convert him then kill him! He will not be in the hands of God and Satan! He will be mine or none!”
“As you wish, Lord.”
There was a pause. “And Rift…remember you are mine.”
“Always and forever, Odin; my soul is yours.”
Then the scraping was silent and the pressure was gone. I wasn’t surprised, however, when Omen didn’t come back. He had tasks to do.
And now, so do I. But…I cannot be blunt, or he won’t believe me. Since I don’t have a time frame, as long as I collect souls and unless tonight I’m told otherwise, I must do this slowly and carefully. Great Odin, I could be here for years!
I shivered, already missing the comfortable darkness of my home and the eerie respect I received from my people. Already, I missed home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's where it starts to pick up...