Hello Sheffield

21

“Here Carol, I have the papers from last month’s sales and I got you some tea when I went for lunch,” I said, placing the folder and cup on her desk. She smiled.

“Yeh’re a doll Liv, I love yeh,” she praised and I blushed. It was nice to hear her say good things about me, especially considering she was my boyfriend’s mother. Usually I was shy around people’s parents and they took it as me being rude. “The last girl was absolute rubbish compared to yeh.”

“Thank you, it means a lot.”

“Excited for tour then?” she asked, leaning back in her chair and taking a sip of her tea. I always thought it was funny seeing Carol and her average desk in front of a huge wall mural of the Drop Dead kitten.

“Yeah, I’m beyond excited! I still have loads of packing to do, I told Oli he should have scheduled the photoshoot earlier but he never listens to me.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it, he never listens to me and I’m his mum! How about yeh go and get some of the things yeh need to done? I’ll send Oli along when he gets back,” she suggested kindly.

“Are you sure? It’s really not a problem for me to stay,” I said, checking the time. Technically I didn’t get out until 4 and it was 1 now. The extra hours would definitely make a huge difference.

“Yeah, yeh can go on. Not much left to do here anyway. I’ll be seein’ yeh later at dinner yeah?”

Everyone and their mother’s best friend’s grandmother was going to be at the Sykes residence later on in the evening. It was going to be a huge going away party for the guys, since Warped Tour was such a big deal. Afterwards, everyone leaving in the morning would be sleeping at my house down the street.

“Of course! Thanks so much for this Carol, I appreciate it.”

“Oh, it’s no problem. Go on, get out of here,” she said, shooing me out and turning to her work. She was always so kind to me. I slipped out of her office and into the hallway, careful not to bump into the intern behind me.

My heels clacked loudly on the wood floors and I smoothed down my drop dead cardigan. It wasn’t unusual for people to show up to work here wearing sneakers but my mother always taught me that if you dressed professionally, you were more apt to work professionally.

Of course, working as a secretary at my boyfriend’s clothing line wasn’t the most professional job. Oli had taken pity on my jobless state and said that if he was my boss he could let me do what I want. That usually meant special treatment as far as days off and vacations went but I didn’t let him spoil me too much.

I got my bag from the small desk that I had and shut down the small computer. My desk was cleaned off of papers and I was grateful that it was a slow day. Everyone was off at the location of the photo shoot. I’d gone yesterday to watch and help out so I’d stayed in the office today.

I said quiet goodbyes to the people left in the office and made my way out of the building and to my car. I had gotten almost no packing at all done. Actually, the only moves I’d made toward packing was pulling my suitcases out of the attic. On my way home, I made a mental note to call my mother.

Zeus was running around the house when I walked in and I chuckled at the kitten. Ever since he’d lived with Oskar he’d become more energetic and playful. I was fine with it. The two had fell in love with each other and would be reunited for two months at Carol’s house.

“Hey baby, you comin’ upstairs to help me pack?” I asked him in a baby voice, lifting him in my arms and bringing him up the stairs. He settled comfortably on my bed’s pillows while I plugged in my iPod.

I started by placing my essentials out on my bed. Underwear, bras, and socks dominated that area. I skipped over pajamas since I could sleep in one of Oli’s shirts and boxers. I tossed every pair of shorts I owned onto the bed. I decided to pack some jeans and a hoodie too.

Oli told me not to pack too much. I always packed too much. When I told him this, he shrugged and told me that he would force me to wear Bring Me The Horizon merch everywhere. That didn’t faze me in the slightest so I tossed all of my favorite shirts onto the bed and then some.

I folded everything into the suitcases neatly and ended up having some room left over in my second one. I shoved shoes in that one. I carefully packed my makeup and toiletries and hair stuff into the small duffel bag I had left over. The rest of my stuff would go in there, like my toothbrush and chargers.

My phone rang and I collapsed on my bed to reach it. It scared Zeus and he leapt off my pillows. I apologized and answered quickly.

“So my mum is so smitten with yeh that she let yeh off then?”

“Your mom loves me Oli, maybe even more than she loves you.”

“Alrigh’ if that’s how yeh’re gonna be, then I won’t tell yeh what’s goin’ on.”

“Okay, okay I’m sorry. Please let me know what’s going on.”

“Well, only since I like yeh…” he trailed off, “I’m on my way home from the photo shoot now. I’m already all packed up so I’m grabbin’ my cases and Oskar and then I’m comin’ to get yeh and we’re stoppin’ at the store because I need some new jeans and then we’ll go to dinner, sound good?”

I was used to Oli just calling and telling me plans. He was the spontaneous one in our relationship. Sometimes he was the romantic one too. Either way, I liked going along with his plans.

“That sounds fine. I still have packing to do though.”

“Well, yeh shouldn’t have waited till the last minute then, love. Don’t forget to call your mum!”

“You’re a lifesaver babe, thanks.”

“I’ll see yeh in a bit,” he said, hanging up without waiting for my goodbye. I sighed and dialed my home phone number, waiting for the international call to be accepted. At the angle I was laying I could hear my heartbeat in my ears and I slowly counted the number of them.

“Olivia? I wasn’t expecting your call until later,” my mother’s voice came through. I sighed inaudibly.

“My boss let me out early since we’re leaving tomorrow and I still have packing to do.”

“Well, I suppose those are the perks of working for your lover.”

“He’s my boyfriend, Mom. We’re dating.”

At first, my mother approved greatly of my boyfriend the business owner. After learning the name of the clothing company and doing a little research however, she became strongly averse to “my lover” as she called Oli. Finding things about him on the Internet was always enough to offend most but my mother was offended simply by the pictures and then the hoards of information (true or untrue) that Google offered up.

“Mhm, that’s right. You were saying that you’re leaving tomorrow?”

“Yeah, we have a 6 o’clock flight in the morning,” I said, sitting up and resting the phone between my ear and my shoulder. I lifted Zeus into my lap and he meowed at me.

“So, you’re doing this Warped Tour thing? I remember you used to go when you were in high school. Do you just follow the festival in a bus?”

“Oh, um, yeah each band gets a bus and vans and stuff and we all go from location to location,” I said, genuinely surprised she was showing interest.

“When you get near the house you’ll be spending some time with us right?”

“Oh yeah, I was planning on it. I can probably stay for about a week.”

“I’m assuming you’ll bring boyfriend, yes?”

“I want you and Dad to meet him. I know what you’ve read about him but you have to understand that those are rumors and nothing more. Oli is really very sweet and if you give him a proper chance, I think you’ll like him.”

“Yes, well, we’ll be sure to accommodate your dear Oliver.”

“Mom,” I warned, “I want you to be nice to him.”

“I’m always nice to everyone you bring home Liv, you know that.”

Unfortunately, I did know that. My mother never approved of my friends and she took the saying ‘kill them with kindness’ very seriously. Her politeness was often served freezing cold.

“I know you are and that’s what worries me.”

“I’ll let you get back to your packing. Call us when you land, alright?”

“Alright Mom. Say hi to Dad for me, okay?”

“Of course, have a safe flight.”

Speaking to my mother was, as always, a draining task. It comforted me to know that I still had around a month before I’d be staying with her again. I sighed and shook my head, letting the cat leap from my lap and crossing the room to pack my toiletries.

It was gonna be a long day.

*

“To Warped Tour and the shenanigans that come along with it!”

There was a loud chorus of yeah’s and clinking glasses over the table. I sipped my wine and set it down in front of my plate, rolling my eyes at Oliver. He was chugging whatever alcoholic beverage he had.

“I’m not dragging your drunk ass through the airport tomorrow,” I warned him. He snorted into his glass and finished it before putting it down.

“I can hold my liquor love,” he whispered and I just shook my head. Becca was taking desserts off of Matt’s plate as he put it on since he was so busy talking to his cousin. He looked confused every time he took another look at his dwindling food supply.

There was commotion all around the large table. Lee was sitting with his mother and Kelly, Becca’s roommate and his fling. Carol was sitting down the table with most of the mother’s in the family and then Ian with the dad’s. It was a huge gathering.

“I just worry about your head in the morning,” I said, turning to Oli. He grinned and kissed my forehead.

“I worry about yeh all the time so yeh should worry about me sometimes.”

I rolled my eyes and kissed his cheek. Becca bumped my shoulder and let out a loud “awwww” which caused attention to come down the table. Everyone watched as Oli attacked my face with kisses and I shoved him away.

There were chuckles as I pouted and took a bite of my cheesecake. I was tired and slightly tipsy from the wine I’d been drinking. The dinner had been fun at first but I was drowsy and bored. I leaned my head on Oli’s shoulder and he wrapped an arm around me.

“Alrigh’ Liv and I are gettin’ a move on,” Oli said. We both stood up and I took both of our plates into the kitchen. Carol and Ian followed us in and Tom made his way in the room too.

“Thanks so much for taking Zeus for me, I really appreciate it.”

“Oh, it’s no problem at all love. Yeh have fun and watch out for my boys, yeah?”

“Of course, I will.”

She said her goodbyes to me and I stepped out to give them privacy as a family. I stood awkwardly with Becca and Kelly while everyone started saying goodbye to their families. Understandably, it took forever.

Finally, Tom, Oli, and I were out the door and driving toward my house. I still had some packing to finish and it was already late. I knew a bunch of people were coming over now, but that Jona, and Vegan were staying with their families longer. When we got to my house, Matt was already there with Becca, Lee, and Kelly.

“Okay, I guess Oli and I will sleep in my room, whoever wins the fight for my office has the pull out in there and everyone else can find a blanket and a pillow and just crash. I don’t have any food in but you can take anything you need,” I said, already dragging up the stairs.

A chorus of thank you’s and good night’s floated up the stairs and Oli smacked my butt as we got to the top. I grinned and pushed him down the hallway toward my room. As soon as we were in my room, he stripped down to his boxers and snuggled under the covers. I, however, packed the bathing suits and socks I’d bought at the mall.

“I’m so excited yeh’re comin’ with us! It would have sucked so bad to have to leave yeh behind,” Oli said, turning over to face me.

“I’m more excited. First of all, I’ve never been on tour and second of all, I would have been alone.”

“Can’t wait to show yeh off,” he said, smiling evilly from underneath the covers. I rolled my eyes and threw a sock at him. He scoffed and threw it back at me. When I bent down to pick it up, my phone fell out of my sweatshirt’s pocket and I noticed a new text message from an unknown number.

When I opened it, my heart sank.

Hope you have fun on your trip. See you when you get back xoxo kate.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so happy to be writing a tour story again.
We're at the halfway mark now guys.

Comment please!

If you like MCR and a Killjoy theme, please read this. Thanks!