Destined

606

Nightstone Academy. March 17, 1995

The girl waited in the dimly lit room. Two guards stood at the doors, staring at her and waiting for her to try to escape. They had heard about her crazy fighting spree and were worried more than usual. The girl, however, did nothing but stare at the walls. No emotion whatsoever.

“Come in,” a voice called from the adjoined room. One of the guards roughly took the girl’s arm and dragged her into the room. She didn’t even blink when she saw the fire and the burning poker.

The guards positioned themselves at the door, positive that she would soon try to run for it.

She just stood there.

“Don’t worry, it’ll only sting a little,” the doctor cooed, taking the poker and gripping her arm. She only resisted a bit, just enough to get the doctor to think that she’s fighting, but not enough for his grip to tighten any more. He brought the stick closer to her forearm, and just before it made contact, she pulled her arm out abruptly and ran for the door. She ducked through the small gap between the guards and sprinted through the white doors. Remembering the exact route to how to get to the front, she raced down those corridors, pushing her skinny legs as fast as they can go. Her muscles burned mercilessly, but she had finally reached the door. She yanked on the handle, but the steel door would not budge. Locked. She heard the footsteps approaching her fast. 6 seconds. She ran back down the corridor, turned around, took a deep breath in, and sprinted straight for the thick metal door. If I die, at least it was worth trying.

She slammed straight at the door. Loud creaking noises surrounded her and her entire left side was screaming so hard in pain that she lost her vision for a few seconds. The steel door clanged loudly as it collapsed onto the floor.

She fell on her hands and knees, breathing heavily from the pain. She got out. And then she saw them. The twenty giant guards.

___________________________________________________________________

The original two guards dragged her roughly back into the doctor’s room, completely disregarding her broken bones and her bleeding left side. If anything, they purposely made the wounds hurt more.

The doctor was once again holding the burning poker, except this time, the guards were pinning her down to the ground. Realizing it was impossible to do it on her arm, the doctor settled for right behind her left shoulder blade. The girl tried her best to get out, but it was more than hopeless. The burning poker went down. Pain lashed through her back and suffocated her, but she did not make a single sound.

The doctor’s voice rang through the room. “For the duration of your primary section at Nightstone Academy, you will be 606. That is your name. That is your identity. Don’t you ever forget that number.”