A Photograph of You & I

Trying To Keep Control

Aina's P.O.V

"Shit." I heard Bam mutter into the phone as he signaled a right hand turn. I held on as he flew threw the small opening between two cars. I was sure I was whiter than ever before.

"Well, I'm almost at your apartment." Bam continued. I glared at him for the umpteenth time that afternoon. He grinned. "Dude, just tell her that you'll send someone to get her. Tell her no one is allowed to be there other than the band and management."

There was a brief pause. I thought I heard Ville's gruff voice say my name.

"Well, I'm coming down your street now. Just yell up to her that you're leaving and run."

Another short pause and then Bam burst into laughter.

"Well run as fast as a man with asthma can run." Bam flipped his phone shut and pulled to a slow stop out front of a rather lovely looking apartment.

Ville's thin body was half ducked into the doorway, he was obviously following Bam's instructions. He emerged seconds later, slamming the door behind him and running toward the car with a wide grin on his face.

That is, until he saw me. I had to turn away from him because I couldn't stand to see the look of despair that tainted his joy.

He jumped in the back seat and slammed the door. Bam promptly stomped on the gas pedal and we flew off just as the door to Ville's apartment opened again.

"I can't believe I just did that." Ville muttered. "I'm going to be in such deep shit when I get back."

Bam simply shrugged. "I have a spare bed in my room. You can stay with me."

Ville didn't respond but I had a feeling that it would more than likely be decided at the very last minute. I heard the flick of a lighter behind me.

We all settled into one of the most uncomfortable silences I've ever been forced into. Bam kept looking at me, silently begging me to speak to Ville. I could practically feel Ville's own stares penetrating the head of the seat, begging in his own way for me to speak to him.

I felt incredibly ganged up on and no words were even being exchanged.

_________________________________---------------------------------

We arrived at the club a lot later than I would have liked. The uneasy silence in the car had finally dissipated into chatter between Ville and Bam, I might as well have not been there at all. I certainly would have been more comfortable anywhere but there.

Ville said his goodbyes to the both of us and dashed out of the car toward an alleyway. Probably a spare entrance. Bam parked in a parking lot around the same corner Ville had just disappeared around and turned the keys in the ignition.

"Why the hell won't you even speak to him?" He demanded, staring at the steering wheel.

"If you're just going to bitch at me all night then I'll just go home, Bam."

"Fucking might as well. You don't want to be here anyway." He accused.

I glared at him icily and he turned to stare me down as well. "Fuck you, Bam. Don't you dare start on me. You're the idiot who dragged my ass here!"

"Because I want you to talk to Ville! He fucking loves you, Aina, and you're treating him like dirt!"

"I'm not treating him like anything! I don't want to be near him."

His lips pressed into a hard line. "You're such a heartless bitch."

I resisted the intense urge I had to smack him hard across the face. "You're stupider than I thought, Bam, if you don't believe I have a heart. I wish I didn't because the very reason it's fucking broken just walked into that club!"

I pushed the door open and slammed it hard after I got out of the car. I put my hand to my cheek and felt a small river of moisture collecting. I wiped the tears away and looked down both ends of the street.

"Aina!" Bam called, jogging toward me. I remained stoic.

"Look, Aina, I'm sorry okay? I'm really sorry..."

"Should be." I mumbled.

"I'm just..." He turned me so that I could see his frustration. "Look, I'm stressed out over this whole thing with you two..."

"There is nothing between Ville and I anymore, Bammie. Jonna and Ville both saw to that."

Bam's lips pursed again and he looked as though he were fighting some sort of turmoil inside. He didn't say anything more.

"Will you stay? Please?" He asked, pleading with his eyes. I sighed and nodded.

"Thanks, Ai." He said, wrapping his arms around me in a tight embrace. He pressed his hand against my lower back and led me across the street toward the main doors.

We walked in and I actually cracked a smile. The club was actually really nice. Fully decked out in nothing but black and a very rich purple, it was definitely a place I could enjoy being in, even if it was under extreme protest.

"I'll be back in a second," Bam told me. "I just want to see if the others are here."

"Okay."

I took the opportunity to look around a little more. A few people had already started clearing out the tables toward the stage. Chairs were being lined up around the back wall and closer to the bar. On stage, lights and sound equipment were being set up by various people. A mic stand was placed center stage as I looked on.

For the first time, I actually felt a trace of excitement bubbling up.

"Aina?" I nearly jumped out of my skin as I turned around. Bam's hand rested carefully on my shoulder and he looked as though he was trying to fight down the giggles.

"What?" I snapped, infuriated that he'd been able to sneak up on me.

He looked taken aback, probably worried that I was still upset over our spat. "I was just wondering if you would run out to the car and grab something for me..."

I sighed heavily and shot him a look. "Whatever."

He smiled. "My camera is in the glove box."

I rolled my eyes at him obnoxiously and walked out of the club. The guy at the door nodded at me and I flashed a polite smile as I jogged around the corner toward where the car was parked. I almost snapped back around the moment that I rounded the corner.

He was standing there with a cigarette between his pale pink lips. I forced myself to stop observing every little detail. Immediately, my mind started making plans. I would walk by, without acknowledging his presence. Then I would go back in and end the life of my so-called 'best friend.' Yes, that was good.

I stepped lightly over a puddle and took soft steps toward the car. If I were lucky, he wouldn't even notice me. I could get to the car and bolt before a word could be uttered.

I found that I had to try desperately not to look at him. While he was so close without Bam around to use as an excuse for distraction, I wouldn't even allow myself to think his name. No, I wouldn't acknowledge him at all, that's what I had to keep telling myself or I would be catapulted into the maelstrom of emotions I could already feel building inside.

"Aina?" I felt my legs seize up beneath me, my own body betraying me and halting without my consent. I tried to slow my heart down or will the blush from my cheeks, but my entire being was hell bent on embarrassing me.

I wouldn't look at him though, that much I could control.

"Aina?" He called again. I could hear him walking toward me. He stepped in a puddle without care and threw his cigarette down in it. My eyes stayed trained on the ground.

"Won't you look at me? Won't you say anything at all?" He asked. I felt a knot growing in my throat. I shook my head, denying him.

I heard a long sigh and could almost see him running his hand through his hair. In my peripheral vision, I could see him opening his mouth to say something else but he was cut off when the back door burst open.

"Yo, Ville!" Dunn called out. I would have to remember to thank him for saving my ass. I looked up briefly and saw the indecision in the green depths I'd sworn to myself that I'd never look into again.

Ville turned slowly to go talk to Dunn. As soon as his eyes left me, I found I was able to move again. I walked, more quickly this time, toward the car.

"What do you want Dunn?" Ville asked, sounding a little tired.

A small pause and Dunn because to speak. "Jonna's here."

I felt my entire body beginning to quiver.