First Love

chapter 17

Annie's pov
Sitting by myself under the tree where I usually met up with Frank, Mikey and Ashley I pulled my lunch out of my bag. It wasn't really like them to be too late so I didn't worry that they hadn't shown up yet, they probably pissed some teacher off or something.
After a minute or two a shadow was cast apon me, looking up expecting to see them arriving I was suprised to see Hannah.
"Hey," she said looking down at the ground.
"Hey," I replied.
"Can I sit here?" she asked pointing to the ground next to me.
"Sure," I replied.
We sat in silence for a few minutes before she turned towards me.
"I'm really sorry about everything that happened. I know that it was stupid and childish of me to send those notes, and that I hurt you by doing so. I don't know what I expected to achieve by doing that but I just didn't really know what to do, I was scared to tell you how I really felt in-case. well in-case something like this happened." She said before taking a breath.
"It's ok, people do crazy things. But you're like one of my best friends, I don't want to throw that away because of a few little notes." I said before holding out my hand. "Promise me that if you ever need to tell me something you'll just say it to my face."
"I promise," she said shaking my hand.
"Good," I replied with a smile.
We sat there eating our lunch when suddenly we heard shouting.
"Shut the fuck up. You had sex!"
Everyone turned to look towards a very shocked Mikey and an equally embarrassed Frank.
I looked back towards Hannah who had a horrified expression on her face, before I could say anything she stood up and ran into the school. I was about to run after her when I saw Frank looking like he was about to jump Mikey, I ran over to them and tried my best to calm Frank down, Ashley however wasn't very much help as she just stood there laughing.
"I can't believe you did that Mikey!" shouted Frank, "Asking you not to tell anyone isn't a metaphor for shout it out loud!" he continued angrily.
"Dude I'm sorry, I just wow!" Mikey replied with a smile.
"Whatever," said Frank taking hold of my hand and walking away.
After that they didn't talk for the rest of the day, and I couldn't find Hannah anywhere. She didn't turn up to any of the lessons after lunch and when I called her once I got home there was no reply.

Frank's pov
The week passed by so slowly, I'd hardly taked to Mikey, he apologised to me a few times, but me being my stubborn self still refused to forgive him.
I sat with Annie on the steps of her porch watching as her aunt and mum drove off.
"I actually think I'm going to miss her," she said leaning her head on my shoulder.
I stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head.
"Well it's thanksgiving in like just over a month, you're going home then right?" I said.
"Yeah," She replied. "Hmm. Talking about missing people, have you called a truce with Mikey yet.
"No, have you called a truce with Hannah. I'm mean another truce with Hannah." I said playing with her hand.
"She hasn't been in school, wont answer the phone and when I've gone to her house no-one's in." She replied sadly.
"Oh, well maybe her family have gone away," I suggested.
"Yeah, maybe..."
"Hey look! that cloud looks like a dinosaur," I said pointing to the sky.
"Don't try and change the subject," she said poking me. "It's your birthday in like a week, if you don't make up with Mikey it's gonna be a pretty crappy one if you ask me."
"I know, I know, I will. We have band practice tonight I'll talk to him then." I replied before kissing her.
"Oh and then it's my birthday the week after, I expect a present!" She said with a grin.
"Aren't I a big enough present?" I asked in mock suprise.
"Oh please! you're used goods," she replied with a wink.
"Used goods!!" I said before getting up and chasing her down the street. I was pretty fast and caught up with her pretty quick, I grabbed hold of her around the waist and began tickling her.
"Hmm, you know this energy could be better used somewhere else," she said suggestively. Grabbing hold of my hand she led me back towards the house. Need I tell you what happened next?

Annie's pov
I lay down on the front lawn and closed my eyes as music filled my ears, it was one of the few remaining warm days of the year and seeing as Frank and Mikey had made up the night before and were out for the day with the rest of their band I thought I'd make the best of it.

Before I knew it I'd fallen asleep, when I awoke I got up as fast as I could hoping that no-one had seen me. Looking around I found an envelope beside me on the ground. I looked at it for a moment, it was like the ones Hannah had sent, I opened it and began to read.

Dear Annie,
I know how you hate saying it so I'm writing this as a goodbye.
Before you came here I had nothing going for me, I didn't get along too well with my family, I didn't really have any real friends, and I had no idea where my life was going.
You changed all of that but I went and messed it all up which I truelly regret, and even though we could act like everything is ok, it will never really be the same.
I'm going to stay with a cousin of mine, I wont leave you any contact details because I don't want you to feel obliged to write or call.
Take care Annie, I wish you all the best in your life. Maybe we'll meet again some other time.
Hannah xxx

"Woah," I said standing up and looking down at the paper. I couldn't believe what I'd just read, Hannah had left and whether she said it or not, I knew it was my fault.