First Love

chapter 21

Annie's pov
The next three weeks passed faster than I'd hoped, but we managed to do so much stuff together.
It was now two days before Christmas, I sat on my bed with a notebook and pen in my hands. I was leaving later on today but I hadn't told Frank, I couldn't face the pain of saying goodbye to him. I knew it was cruel of me to just leave but I had to, it would be easier this way, at least I hoped it would.
I looked over at the clock, 10.37am. I folded the note that I'd written for Frank, placed it in an envelope and picked up the guitar I'd bought him as his Christmas present, he'd already given me mine, it was a bracelet to go with the necklace that he bought me for my birthday. Gosh it seemed like so long ago and yet I could remember it all so clearly, the drive to the beach, holding each other as we watched the waves...
I walked over to his house and knocked on the door I knew that Frank was out with some of his friends, his mum opened the door and smiled as she saw me.
"Hell Annie," she said softly.
"Hey," I said looking down. "Um could you give these to Frank?" I asked holding out the guitar case and envelope.
"If you come back in a couple of hours you can do it yourself," she said looking down at them.
"I, I can't," I replied.
"Annie, what's wrong?" she asked touching my arm.
"Um nothing," I replied backing away.
"You can tell me," she said.
"No, I can't," I said feeling the tears coming.
"Oh sweetheart come her," she said holding her arms out.
Guiding me inside she sat me down and brought me some tea.
"You're leaving aren't you," she said stroking my hair.
I nodded yes.
"Does Frank know?" she asked.
"I can't tell him, I can't say goodbye to him." I cried.
"Shh shh shh, it's ok, it's ok." She said putting an arm around me. "He'll understand."
"I hope so," I whispered.

Frank's pov
Me and the guys spent the morning rehearsing some of our new songs before going out to lunch, after that we decided to go back to my house to watch some movies.
As I walked in I saw my mum sitting on the couch, she looked so sad.
"Mum what's wrong?" I asked walking over to her.
"Boys could you wait outside please?" she said to the others.
"Sure," they replied.
"Mum did someone die?" I asked become increasingly worried.
"No," she replied.
"Then what?" I asked.
"You should read this," she said picking up an envelope from the coffee table.
I opened the envelope and began to read the letter inside.

Dear Frank,
I'm sorry that it has to be like this, but I just can't face saying goodbye to you.
I love you so much, more than I've ever loved anyone or thing in my whole life. But I've realised that love isn't always enough.
Please don't forget about me.
Love Annie

"I don't understand," I said looking up at my mum.
"Oh sweetheart, she's leaving today." My mum said resting a hand on my knee.
"No, no she can't it's too soon." I shouted standing up.
Before my mum could say anything else I ran out the front door towards Annie's aunts house.
"Frank, where are you going?" shouted Mikey.
Ignoring him I carried on running as fast as I could, I ran across the lawn and began banging on her front door. I must've stood there for five minutes or so waiting for someone to answer the door but they never did.
"She can't be gone," I said quietly as I sat on the porch steps.
This couldn't be true, I had to be having a nightmare or something, I pinched my arm to see if I was awake, the pain told me I was. Before I could stop myself I burst into tears, I didn't give a damn about who saw me nothing mattered anymore.
I dont know how long I sat there, but after a while I felt a hand on my shoulder, looking up I saw Mikey standing there.
"You're mum told me what happened," he said sitting down next to me. "I'm really sorry man."
"Yeah," I said wiping away my tears.
"You know Gerard could drive us to the airport, maybe you could catch her there," he said smiling.
"No," I replied. "Annie didn't want to say goodbye, and I don't want to either. It would be too painful. I just, I just needed more time you know?
"Yeah I know," he replied hugging me.
"Fags," said Crystal walking bye, her reply came in the form of us both flipping her off.
We sat there for a while not knowing what to do, after about 20 minutes Annie's aunt's car pulled up.
"Are you ok," she asked walking up to us.
"I guess so," I replied.
"You know she didn't mean to hurt you leaving like that," she said hugging me.
"I know," I replied as I started to walk home.
"Frank," she shouted.
"Yes," I said turning around.
"I know she left you a gift at home but she wanted me to give you this too," she said holding out a box. Inside was a plain silver ring, on the inside was an engraving, just two small words followed by a heart. first love <3